US Olympic Team Trials - June 24-27, 2021

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I agree but I hate Jordan Chile’s beam even more. She seemed to be loose, and flex-footed on practically every element today. Barely any attempt to point her toes, or work on relevé. Her form in the vault video seemed little better. Flex-footed and leg separations on a DTY. I just hope the U.S. doesn’t face a vicious E- panel at the Games. Especially Jordan.

Yeah, Simone’s Grigoras/Barani was never a true Grigoras. It was really more of a tucked aerial cartwheel, which is why I think it kept getting downgraded or not credited. She had to take it out.

No, I remember when Simone performed it well and yet we had a discussion on the other message board on one of her beam sets. It seems everyone was trying to figure out where Simone had lost credit. I suggested that perhaps the judges called her Grigoras not a Grigoras. And it turned out, that was most likely where she was deducted. It wasn’t just Simone. Some other gymnasts weren’t performing the Barani properly either.

Yes, I remember there was some kind of rule change on it. I don’t remember why though - unless it was because no one was doing it right, as it was described in the code. I vaguely remember someone posting (on the other message board), a video of the innovator herself, Cristina Grigoras performing her skill. It looked decidedly different - and harder - than Simone’s version, or other gymnast’s attempts.

A true Grigoras (which was once an F) should twist when the body is upside down. Sui Lu and Grigoras performed the skill this way.

The jump forward with half twist to salto backward tucked is named for Anamari Maaranen and it was valued an F. In the piked position, this is a Produnova.

Simone performed a Bieger (E) which is a free round-off tucked or piked with takeoff from two feet. Memmel performs the skill piked.

see 4:55 for Meng Fei’s Grigoras and 6:03 for the Maaranen

Last edited:
Simone has resurrected the double double off beam:

Last edited:
I never thought we’d see that again. Wow.

For A second it made wonder if she would try to bring back the Biles 1 on vault so she could do all of her original skills at the same meet…but that’s crazy talk.

Last edited:
I remember an interview somewhere that mentioned offhand that she might just go “fuck it” and throw it in Tokyo despite it only being .1 more. She can land it just as good, if not better, than her full-in, so honestly, why not.

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately the Biles 1 vault looks like a one-off, though she did train it in Stuttgart. I wasn’t expecting to see the double double off beam so this is a pleasant surprise, especially performed like that.

Interestingly she didn’t train the Y2P today.

The barani was shite though. I’d love to see Simone use her acrobatic ability to do some more interesting skills on the beam, not that there’s any chance of that with this code, but the barani added nothing other than the opportunity to tank.

I think Simone’s beam has a number of limitations, but I do enjoy her rhythm and attack.

She should learn a LOSO mount. Or a Garrison (back full) mount!

She doesn’t get enough credit for how dynamic her FF + loso + loso is.

I remember years and years ago she said on Tumblr or somewhere like that that she had a mental block with a full on beam: that no matter what, whenever she put it on the high beam she would fall every time.

She’s also trained an arabian, and I was surprised to see a quick shot of her practicing one on the floor in her docuseries because I thought she hadn’t messed around with that for years.

I agree but I hate Jordan Chile’s beam even more. She seemed to be loose, and flex-footed on practically every element today. Barely any attempt to point her toes, or work on relevé.
Yeah, but Jordan isn’t a potential medalist on beam. Simone is. Simone winning beam is always such a disappointment to me, because her beam work is so utterly lacking. Is that really beam work worthy of being declare the best in the world?

Yeah, but Jordan isn’t a potential medalist on beam. Simone is. Simone winning beam is always such a disappointment to me, because her beam work is so utterly lacking. Is that really beam work worthy of being declare the best in the world?
and she is the only 3x beam champ!

It’s true that the majority of Simone’s major beam medals have been won in disappointing situations, but that’s as much about other people fucking up as anything else. If other gymnasts in the world were actually capable of staying on the beam, Simone would have golds from 2015 and 2019 and probably a 2014 bronze, max. There have only been two of seven years in her senior career where she’s been the best and the winner simultaneously. I’ll be quite disappointed if she wins again this year, because there are better routines, but if that does happen it will be because China let her.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back