US Olympic Team Trials - June 24-27, 2021

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah, once you see Skinner in person, it’s alarming how low and scrappy all her shit is. After adding in body shape and form, it’s understandable why she maxes out around a low, mid-56 or so this quad.

I will give her props: certain movements and skills look sharper, cleaner, and more aggressive, and that Amanar is somehow safely-ish making it around every time despite the block. Still seems too little, too late to me, and I’d be shocked if Forster considers her anything more than first or second alt right now without a major AA statement.

I remain unconvinced by Simone’s split jump 1/2 crossways. Every time it’s a -0.1 for split position, sometimes maybe .3, and the connection is dubious.

In November of last year she was doing the split jump before the straddle jump, and she hit split better then. She seems to have a habit of piking as she lands–this was something Cecile said to Simone in a training video after her straddle 1/2

Last edited:
I remain unconvinced of any of Simone’s split positions. There was some video posted today of her training on beam, shot from the end of the beam, and while her positions aren’t quite Shawn Johnson levels of legs all askew, they’re not good, either.

Oh really? I’d be curious to see. They’ve always seemed mostly fine to me. Her hips are mostly square in that training vid lovegymnasts uploaded^

Another update is Lee is sticking to a three pass floor routine–I’m assuming the Silivas, 1.5 + 1.0, and double tuck. But she could maybe do her DLO and dismount with the 1.5 + 1.0… that would be fun, although her ankles might disagree

Looks like it got taken down. Hmmmm. Anyways, this video, while from a different angle, does show that her splits are less than great.

(full disclosure: I really just hate Simone’s beam work. It’s so dumpy. There’s nothing particularly interesting done of the beam. It is well constructed for the code and has a big dismount. But it doesn’t show mastery of the event, imo)

I’m late to looking at the “random” draw, but it sort of feels like the 2nd group feels is the potential team group.

And I’d really, really like to see Riley get the other plus 1 spot. Her and Jade would cover the “alternate” places. It gives Riley another month on her foot. I’d also give her outside chances on bars and beam medals. Certainly better than anyone else’s chances of the non-named team.

(full disclosure: I really just hate Simone’s beam work. It’s so dumpy. There’s nothing particularly interesting done of the beam. It is well constructed for the code and has a big dismount. But it doesn’t show mastery of the event, imo)
agreed… there just isn’t anything there… I wish she would bring the barani back but completely understand why it’s gone

lol, I just realized the video posted above by lovegymnasts is basically what I saw, regarding an angle that shows Simone’s split positions.

Oh sorry, you’re right. I thought with the addition of the Split Jump 1/2 she was now counting 9 Ds. But you’re right.

But still. For 1 tenth. Is it worth doing?

No 1st or 2nd alternates.
No one is ranked, there will just be 5 gymnasts named as “replacement athletes”.

Remember none of them get to travel to Tokyo as the +2 are built in alternates.

If someone gets injured before leaving for Tokyo the committee will decide which of the 5 replacements best matches the injured athlete.

For sure. Sorry for the loose language; I meant the selection committee’s mentality/pecking order heading into Trials. I seriously doubt anybody in charge has Skinner on their first-choice team, whereas she would be one of the first ones you’d name to the alternate squad, probably.

Last edited:
Oh I agree.

I think the 4th person will be McCallum, DiCello, or Wong

The two that don’t make it will likely be alternates with Skinner, Blakely, and Eaker/Malabuyo.

[IMG alt="8,445 Likes, 23 Comments - Gymnastics I Inside Gymnastics (@insidegym) on Instagram: Run it! Team USA looking 💪 💪 on Beam in Podium Training at Olympic Trials!

#gymnasticsvideos #gymnastics #gymnast"]https://gymnaverse.com/uploads/defa...5ea8454c2f94091e73fd677f_2_281x500.jpeg[/IMG]

Does anyone want to deduct Simone’s split straddle for amplitude?

Also - Riley - that free leg in your switch half has gotten bent as fuck. I can just see Maggie sniping from the sidelines to Victoria…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back