2024 US Olympic Trials WAG Day 2 (6/30)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

can someone explain this to me. In my head the achilles is more stretched in a flexed foot and should be more comfortable in a pointed foot. Isn't the achilles at the back of the ankle?
The calf muscles attach to the heel by the Achilles tendon. When you contract your calf muscles forcibly to jump, you put tension on the achilles tendon. Hope that helps.

Valeri gets his Olympian....Hezly Rivera.
Guess we have to stop saying that Liukin's got no one to the Olympics who isn't his daughter.

This is a super late reply but Rivera's Instagram story just reminded me: Valeri has two Olympians this year. He has Levi Jung-Ruivivar in Paris as well.

Before Nastia, he took Brenda Magaña to Athens in 2004.

woga olympians.png

Last edited:
Why didn’t they announce the non-traveling replacement athletes on the floor at Trials? Surely they knew who those would be once they decided on the team and traveling replacements. Kaliya and Tiana were the very obvious next in line based on both all around and event rankings.
Probably because they do not go to Paris and won't train with the team at the camp before leaving for Paris. They are not alternates the way the traveling replacement athletes are.

Anatomy is definitely part of it. One girl on my team in high school had completely flat feet. She could stretch her feet and ankles until she was blue in the face and they would never have had an arch position. She didn't look like she was pointing her toes when she was. I have a big arch. Even when I'm just sitting fully relaxed, my toes look pointed. Simone has a combination of flat feet, tight ankles, and bad habits causing her toe point issues. She was held by her feet and ankles when she was dipped into the River Styx. (The River Styxthelanding if you want a groaner of a joke today)

So just a little "What If?" scenario:

What if the USA didn't have a completely separate Olympic Trials since it seems to be an outlier compared to other countries? Instead, the Winter Cup, American Classic, US Classic, and Nationals determined the Olympic Team. Granted, the gymnasts would have approached these competitions very differently and Skye and Kayla's injuries were ticking time bombs anyway. Not to mention there's a lot of money wrapped up in the pomp of Olympic Trials. Is having four competitions + Trials a bit much, especially for a gymnast like Kayla who used them to make her case for the Olympic team? Is there another way to do the Olympic team rigmarole? Should there be changes or is it really just due to the shortened quad that gave everybody less time?

Just thinking because injuries are a normal thing but having 3 of the shortlist gymnasts go down over the span of two days is a bit much.

So just a little "What If?" scenario:

What if the USA didn't have a completely separate Olympic Trials since it seems to be an outlier compared to other countries? Instead, the Winter Cup, American Classic, US Classic, and Nationals determined the Olympic Team. Granted, the gymnasts would have approached these competitions very differently and Skye and Kayla's injuries were ticking time bombs anyway. Not to mention there's a lot of money wrapped up in the pomp of Olympic Trials. Is having four competitions + Trials a bit much, especially for a gymnast like Kayla who used them to make her case for the Olympic team? Is there another way to do the Olympic team rigmarole? Should there be changes or is it really just due to the shortened quad that gave everybody less time?

Just thinking because injuries are a normal thing but having 3 of the shortlist gymnasts go down over the span of two days is a bit much.
Shi's injury seems to have been a fluke, but she was definitely could have benefitted from a year off after 2021. I understand why not, she made insane improvements in a year and wanted to show them, but the shoulder was at a breaking point.

Skye and Kayla also had not stopped at all. I really think the 3 year quad is a huge contributing factor, which really didn't mesh with gymnasts who had been going strong through 2021. I think we are going to see a TON of gymnasts take 2025 off. Other than 1st year seniors, I have a feeling that anyone who competes through 2025 will really struggle to make it to 2028.

Trials is a must! Doing 3 competitions (Classics, Nationals, Trials) is the minimum an elite athlete should be doing during the year, unless injured. Classics should have been a week earlier though (or Nationals and Trials pushed up a week), there should be 3-4 weeks between competitions.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• No results found.
Back