2024 US Olympic Trials WAG Day 1 (6/28)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I have my spreadsheet ready to plug scores into tonight. I will calculate the highest scoring teams based on:

Trials only, average and max score
Trials + Nats, average and max score
Trials + Nats + Classics, average and final score

So that will output 6 teams, wondering how different they will be.

For the fifth athlete, I think they will go with whoever ends up highest in the all-around ranks (after Biles, Lee, Carey, and Chiles). It's ASac's first time picking the team, they want to be and seem as fair as possible, and nobody has made an undeniable case for being the fifth athlete.

With that said, I personally think they should go with Rivera or Wong. I like Sumanasekera and Lincoln but they are just too weak on bars right now.

For the fifth athlete, I think they will go with whoever ends up highest in the all-around ranks (after Biles, Lee, Carey, and Chiles). It's ASac's first time picking the team, they want to be and seem as fair as possible, and nobody has made an undeniable case for being the fifth athlete.

With that said, I personally think they should go with Rivera or Wong. I like Sumanasekera and Lincoln but they are just too weak on bars right now.
I think you are right, given how little this last spot matters, might as well be as least controversial as possible.

I doubt it. If Roberson finishes 5th and Rivera 6th, Roberson will be alternate and Rivera will go.
At this point its Chiles, Lee, and Biles doing AA in Paris.
Carey is VT/FX. They need UB/BB.

If Wong has a great day and moves up AND scores well on her Cheng she might end up going.

Chances are Lincoln, Sumansekera, and Roberson will be alternate due to their UB.

I just don't see USAG not allowing Lee to do AA at least in TQ in Paris. If she and Chiles hit all four in prelims, Lee will make the AA final with a potential to medal.

I doubt it. If Roberson finishes 5th and Rivera 6th, Roberson will be alternate and Rivera will go.
At this point its Chiles, Lee, and Biles doing AA in Paris.
Carey is VT/FX. They need UB/BB.

If Wong has a great day and moves up AND scores well on her Cheng she might end up going.

Chances are Lincoln, Sumansekera, and Roberson will be alternate due to their UB.

I just don't see USAG not allowing Lee to do AA at least in TQ in Paris. If she and Chiles hit all four in prelims, Lee will make the AA final with a potential to medal.
As much as I HATE how we got here. It would be so special to see Suni get to defend her AA title. Yeah, it's unlikely she wins gold, but she could totally medal, and I think that would be so special.

The spot is definitely Rivera’s to lose. I think Wong has the next best shot but would get the spot in a 50/50 with Hezly. It’s going to come down to the differential between their scores and Jade’s UB/BB. Jade’s 13.575s from Day 1 aren’t really a glaring issue, but with the team being chosen around 5-4-3 (why??), it pretty much eliminates Tiana and Josc.

Suni will definitely be vaulting in prelims, so it renders Leanne’s vault irrelevant to the teams selection. That potentially creates an interesting scenario though where if she were on the team if they would risk the Skinner in Team Finals without it being evaluated in prelims.

If something should happen to Jordan, Simone, or Suni, though, I would not want Kaliya on the team. Under no circumstances would I want to have to put her up on beam or bars.
This is correct. We aren’t looking just for someone to be marginally better than Jordan on one or two events. Solid back up routines are valuable. Something always goes wrong and someone always gets hurt. You can’t just build a team around three up three count because you may need that back up routine. You might need a back up routine on three events.

I know there are alternates but the US still has a bad taste in its mouth from kicking Morgan White off the team to use an alternate.

White was unable to compete. She had to be replaced. The main issue was that Tasha did UB/BB in prelims where Beckermann was more valuable and could get higher scores.
But Beckermann was inconsistent whereas Tasha was consistent. IIRC, Beckermann couldn;t take her ADHD medication because it was a banned substance and as a result had trouble focusing.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back