2023 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Can both Finnegan and Malabuyo qualify to worlds if Philippines doesn’t qualify a team? Or just one at most? Finnegan has a solid yurchenko 1.5 which is valuable in the AA program.

At SEA Games last year she did the Y1.5 after not competing it all year and then did the Omelianchik as her second vault. I’m hoping it’s the same this year. I don’t think she’s ever had a DTY, has she?

I don’t think she’s ever had a DTY, has she?
She did when she was an elite.

She was the favorite to win vault gold at Pan Am Games with the DTY and the Omelianchik but withdrew due to injury.

She was the favorite to win vault gold at Pan Am Games with the DTY and the Omelianchik but withdrew due to injury.
Was that when she got a concussion and her parents were publicly pissed off that USAG wouldn’t allow her to compete?

Yup. Apparently her parents and Fong were okay with signing a waiver to bypass a 2nd evaluation the day of EFs, but were told by officials she’d be disqualified. Reaffirms that Al Fong should not be allowed to work with minors. There’s more screenshots under the initial tweet.

ETA I just can’t with how lax everyone involved in that situation was…concussions are no effing joke, especially considering her own mom admits Aleah had a previous history.

Last edited:
I think it’s “Christ has unlimited mercy,” or something to that effect.

This reminds me of Ivana Hong’s website where it said her favorite animal was the frog because FROG stood for “Fully Rely On God” and I swear Christianity has the weirdest acronyms.

Wow. And to chant it mid-sentence. Glad none of my coworkers do that–I’d be giving them some serious side-eye if they were sprinkling stuff like that randomly into conversations. (I work for the government so they sprinkle other acronyms into conversations until my brain starts to melt)

I’ve had a few maids from Vietnam and Philippines and yeah, Asian Christianity is wild enough on its own without also adopting aspects of American Christian culture.

I’ve found a niche as a fundraising consultant to churches, but I only work with what Americans would call progressive mainline protestant denominations (although I maybe have a synagogue as a potential client). They don’t talk like that. Religious, yes. The occasional “I feel like God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit is at work here.”

And one pastor who was so memorably frustrated with the administrator who couldn’t ever print the Sunday order of worship correctly, the fifth or sixth week in a row where there was yet another screw up, he looked at me and said “Jesus, take the wheel because otherwise I’m going to run her over.” (She was gracefully “retired” a couple weeks later)

Last edited:
Wow. And to chant it mid-sentence. Glad none of my coworkers do that–I’d be giving them some serious side-eye if they were sprinkling stuff like that randomly into conversations
The Finnegans are completely over the top evangelical fundies. They make other evangelicals look quiet and tame.

There is enough subject matter out there to do a phd on the religious beliefs of elite gym parents. Actually you could probably do one solely on how a black girl from Virginia beach came to proclaim hebrew texts via the medium of Swarovski crystals individually glue gunned to a leotard

These are… not standard Christian sayings for most of us.
Edit~ Especially not in the context of somehow doing an extremely foolish thing like competing with a concussion somehow becoming okay. Belief in God shouldn’t be viewed as a pass to take stupid risks willy nilly. It’s… to me it’s very nonsensical.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back