2023 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

A recent post on reddit suggests most of the Chinese A team are being considered for the University Games, so it might end up being that they all compete this summer, but Qiu Qiyuan is going to Asian Championships because she isn’t eligible for that. This team are all 2006/7 born, so too young for university.

Japan are apparently sending a strong team for the University Games as well, so clearly some countries view that as the more important competition.

It makes sense China is prioritizing University Games…it is held in China, so must get as many medals as possible.

I’m calling it now. China will clean up at the Asian Champs, University Games, and Asian Games but fail to qualify a full team to the Olympics.

How so? Top 12 in qualification is pretty manageable for them even they bring team B. It requires more than a 2022 meltdown.

How so? Top 12 in qualification is pretty manageable for them even they bring team B. It requires more than a 2022 meltdown.
The rest of the World has drastically improved. If China has a team finals type meet in qualifications, I can see that happening.

Only 9 spots and several teams in contention for it.

The Chinese team final score was 157.5. Teams that couldn’t reach that score while being potential qualified teams are

Australia (top 10: 156.095)
Belgium (top 11: 156.063)
Germany (top 12: 155.664)
South Korea (153.363 → 154.8 this year in Jesolo)
Hungary (152.296 → 156 this year in Euros)
Mexico (152.296 → 159 this year in Pan-AM)
Romania ( → 156 this year in Euros)

The most improved team while breaking the 157.5 benchmark is Mexico, but at least 3 more teams are still needed to push China off from Top 12.

Australia can probably add a bit to the 156.261 they scored at Oceania Championships. Georgia Godwin didn’t compete there. She’ll likely add 2 points or more.

Australia can probably add a bit to the 156.261 they scored at Oceania Championships. Georgia Godwin didn’t compete there. She’ll likely add 2 points or more.
I think Australia will qualify comfortably this year and I have them penciled in to team finals as well.
Mexico’s performance at Pan Ams definitely threw a wrench in there.

I don’t really see a situation happening where every other team is perfectly healthy and uninjured with all their top athletes competing at their best and hitting 4-4 on the exact same day and ONLY China is tired/injured/falls. More likely every team will be dealing with something. Maybe 1 or 2 will hit everything. But 9 definitely aren’t.

True, it is unlikely to happen.
But it could.

No one expected Brazil to miss out qualifying a full team to Tokyo and yet it happened.

According to MCLGM27 on Reddit, Hu Jiafei was injured in training and has been replaced by Chen Xinyi.

Some of y’all be taking throwaway jokes too seriously for my liking 😭 😭 😭

So I bought the 15US$ subscription to the 2023 Asian Gymnastics Championship livestream. Was it worth it? To be fair, the coverage is good. Just so many things going.

After Subdivision 1, Carlos Yulo is at #1 in AA, about 7 points ahead of the 2nd ranked TPE gymnast.

Let’s see how the rankings change once the Subdivision 2 finishes. Can’t wait to see China and Japan. So lovely to see Mongolia, Uzbekistan, and Indonesia fielding!

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back