Worlds 2021- WAG prelims

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Melnikova finishes the day with 57.065. Andrade needed 13.666 on FX to surpass her, so doable but not a total walk in the park score. A 12.35 would’ve topped Wong.

Last edited:
That is a very interesting question. I feel like Melnikova is more likely to go 4-for-4 and she doesn’t need to be perfect to win. (It does seem theoretically possible that E-scores would have loosened between subdivision 3 and 10 but I assume Melnikova’s bars advantage will hold her above a 4-for-4 Wong.

I’m curious how much Wei and Urazova could pull up with hit routines.

Gelya UB:

break on van leeuwen, late Toe 1/1 but otherwise clean.

Vlada UB:

I don’t think the Tokyo pen loosened up on the Americans. Wong’s and Dicello’s gymnastics was just cleaner than what Chiles and Mccallum showed in Tokyo. Floor did not have any big landing deductions and better dance elements.

In regards to one touch warm-up on bars…I wonder if there was a misunderstanding regarding the allotted warm-up time. As there is no team competition each gymnast should get 50 seconds. Maybe the clock ran through because the gymnasts are rotating as a team and the US was not aware? Or…they wasted too much time prepping the bars. I suspect it’s the former because afaik no ND was applied to either Dicello or Frazier which should have happened if warm-up time had belonged to an Individual.

Yeah, I was shocked to see a 15.1 at Worlds for her, but I felt it was completely deserved — and in fact, I had it at 9.1 in real time. That number 8.8 just seems like the limit to what the E-panels are willing to give an exemplary exercise (which is not how it works – just how it feels)

I’d like to see how people get that down under 9.

Last edited:
I wonder what floor score Andrade would have needed to make AA finals

The scoring system is inherently unfair when near-perfection and visible errors are bunched into -0.1 (flexed toe = 0.9 meter-length step = short split); medium errors are heavily subjective (a step being 0.9 vs. 1.01 meters; a handstand being 29° vs. 31° short; a leg separation being shoulder-width vs. more), result in a .20 increase in deduction despite the relative severity of the error not increasing 3-fold, 1+1 = 3 for Body Shape, etc.

You can come within range for most E scores by assuming 8 x -0.3 = 8.4 and subtracting ~0.1 for every visible error; or, more generally, -0.3 from a routine with visible errors/+0.3 for great sets:
  1. Melnikova (UB) = -0.3 = 8.1
  2. Andrade (UB) = +0.3 = 8.7
  3. Wong (FX) = -0.3 = 8.1
It isn’t perfect, but it shouldn’t be close. It’s how we get an Olympic FX final with scores bunched together as closely as Tokyo; execution can’t be differentiated properly when constrained to -0.1, -0.3, -0.5, until something is done about it, we should probably focus on whether the final results match the quality of the gymnastics presented, rather than scores.

TL;DR = if anything, this “open-ended” / “objective” scoring system is worse than 10.0 at separating routines. Lower numbers may give an impression that Execution matters more, but that’s just for optics.

Andrade doing FX to qualify to the AA Final isn’t just chucking some low level fluff on FX once to qualify… it’s also competing all four events again in an entire extra day of competition in the AA final itself. Not doing AA gives her body a longer break of rest before EF.

She’s spent most of her career seriously injured. I respect her decision to prioritize her health over medal haul.

It would be so useful if we had footage of her on vault in podium training, because at the moment it’s just not clear at all what she’s going to do on Thursday. Today’s DTY attempt was nowhere close, and while that could just be a random bad one, she wasn’t doing it brilliantly even in Tokyo. That snapdown technique is not ideal especially when you’re taller. It would be consistent with the (understandable) decline in her other three events if she weren’t actually capable of the DTY consistently now. If she has a 1.5, I’d be advising her to do that instead in the final… but does she?

Also she really needs to switch to a bhs loso acro series on beam. With all due respect to the Blessed Mustafina, this is happening too often now.

Do a bloody Y1.0 and be done with it. That’s what I say. If she wasn’t even close, then I wouldn’t risk it.

The last thing we want is her being out for the whole of 2022 with an injury.

Last edited:
As would I. It probably wouldn’t be enough for an AA medal unless Leanne helps, but better to stay in one piece.

I find it hilarious that Urazova’s D score on floor is 0.2 less than DiCello.

And that a qualifying AA score was 48.798.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back