Worlds 2021- WAG prelims

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Is the rule for the AA qualifications that you have to compete on all four events in prelims, or could someone with a high enough three-event total theoretically qualify?

That’s a really interesting question! I don’t know the answer but I’m guessing you’d at least have to touch the apparatus for a 0.

I would submit that Kelli Hill shouldn’t need a practice session in how to conduct a one touch. Much less from Tom Forster.

ETA: I understand that EmJae fell hard on her Church in her one touch. They let her then get back up and continue her routine. The announcement called for the end of the warm up as Leanne was mounting. Leanne finished. And the official interjected when Kayla tried to mount.

This is purely the fault of the three coaches on the floor. And, perhaps in particular, Emjae’s coach’s fault for letting her finish the rest of her routine after she had just eaten up the whole USA time block after her fall.
The fact that Strauss’ allowed her gymnast to go longer than the one touch was allotted and the fact that Kelli Hill (who always has a stop watch) didn’t advocate for her athletes is in fact a management issue. I get that it is an individual Worlds, however, personal coaches should not be making decisions that effect the rest of the team.

This is where it comes to Tom’s responsibility as he is the coordinator of the team who supervises the national team, and as a result the coaches.

It is not Tom’s fault this happened, but he certainly needs to take responsibility for this mistake.

As far as Tom telling the coaches to stop. I highly doubt he was laser focused on the one touch warm up to begin with. But yeah as NTC he could absolutely have done so.

Also, if you recall in London, Marta was in the stands and literally SCREAMING at Mihai to file a protest for Raisman’s beam. Should she have remained silent? It would have cost the bronze medal.

DiCello not getting a one touch warm up for bars might have cost an event finals berth for her.

Is the rule for the AA qualifications that you have to compete on all four events in prelims, or could someone with a high enough three-event total theoretically qualify?
You have to do all the events.
Otherwise what happens is you receive a “DNS” score which is Did Not Start and you are eliminated from the AA.
Your final AA score is “DNF” Did not finish. They are not given a ranking and are listed at the bottom of the results based on alphabetical order by last name.

2019 Worlds as example:

ETA- I guess technically you could score a 0 say on balking your vault and still be eligible for the AA.

Last edited:
Everyone who scored a 9 and up on vault, and 8 and up on the other events.

Vault
NameScore
Andrade9.2
Ceplinschi9.1
di Cello9.1
Fedorova9.066
Melnikova9.066
Slevin9.033
Geurts9
Kysselef9
Bars
NameScore
Andrade8.8
Wong8.383
Luo8.3
Urazova8.266
Williams8.266
Kovacs8.233
Minaeva8.233
Paulsson8.233
Wei8.233
Melnikova8.166
Martins8.133
di Cello8.1
D’Amato8.066
Mokosova8.066
Beam
NameScore
Luo8.466
Melnikova8.433
Schaefer8.333
Wong8.3
Urazova8.066
Iorio8
Floor
NameScore
di Cello8.4
Murakami8.366
Urazova8.333
Hiraiwa8.3
Melnikova8.3
Wong8.3
Schaefer8.266
Martina8.133
D’Amato8.033
D’Amato8.033
Hatakeda8.033
van Pol8.033
Bachynska8
Ceplinschi8
Visser8
Williams8

How? He wasn’t on the floor!
He was in the stands. It is also 2021 smart phones/smart watches/iPads can receive messages.
Being in the stands didn’t stop Marta from telling Mihai to file a query.

He was in the stands. It is also 2021 smart phones/smart watches/iPads can receive messages.
Are we really at the point where we are blaming Tom for not yelling from the stands, instead of blaming the 40 year veteran coach of several Olympians who was literally on the floor with a stopwatch in her hand?

We are in Silly Town right now.

So I had Leanne at a 55.5, Melnikova at a 56.3, and DiCello at a 54.7.

FIG had Melnikova more than a fall from the lead, but I did not. Largely due to, IMO, a pretty hefty overscore of Melnikova on floor. Complete f-up on the Double L - Double Reverse Turn. Big landing errors. There is no universe in which that routine would have gotten an 8.3E in Tokyo.

I will continue to judge with a Tokyo pen even though it appears the goalposts have shifted.

Last edited:
I don’t know what the regulations are at worlds this year, but I have ALWAYS been prohibited from having my phone on the competition floor.

Melka wasn’t actually sure she would go for VT finals until they saw how low the Day 1 VT EF standings were. I don’t think she has trained the Cheng post-Olympics.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but apparently Konnor’s recent setback was COVID.

That certainly puts her floor performance at trials in a different light!

Gymcastic implied that she had COVID around the time of the September Camp (which she missed.)

I guess even if she was asymptotic she probably wasn’t allowed to leave her house let alone go to the gym. Two weeks is a long time.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back