Worlds 2021 - Podium Training

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes, everyone did AA, but I’ve not seen videos of everyone. I’ve been able to piece together the order they went in, though.

UB: Konnor, eMjae, Leanne, Kayla
BB: eMjae, Leanne, Kayla, Konnor
FX: eMjae, Konnor, Kayla, Leanne
VT: eMjae, Leanne, Konnor, Kayla

Those are…really interesting lineups. We know Kayla’s doing AA, so that would suggest first up is the person sitting out the event, and I would not have called eMjae only competing bars.

The guidelines state there should be no pike prior to 45 degrees post-vertical; +/- 10 degrees is acceptable for a Layout (i…e, ‘hollow’ as you say, or ‘arch’ as shown in the beginning) per the COP (unless a Help Desk contradicts the official COP, which is the most annoying thing in the world). I see a Layout with:
  1. Acceptable (10-degree) arched body shape until vertical >
  2. Acceptable hollow (10-degree) between vertical and 45 degrees >
  3. Slight pike in preparation for landing.
The language above is so damn confusing; is a pike-down after 45-degrees acceptable or not? It reads as if it is fine, as long as it is +/- 10 degrees beforehand. Either way, I’d deduct -.20 at most:
-.10 for failure to maintain stretched position;
-.10 for insufficient height
…and call it a day. Downgrading a skill because either a) you think the hollow shape is 15 vs. 10 degrees, or b) you think the pike-down began at 55 vs. 45 degrees past vertical shouldn’t be ‘a thing’ when other deductions are available for borderline cases (as there are many).

I can’t stand how an official governing body of a sport can’t settle on what technical requirements define a basic, fundamental skill like a Layout on BB. Why does this definition (1 of many) change so frequently? How can a coach prepare gymnasts for the future never knowing what curveballs the WTC will throw? They hate subjectivity, but how is it objective to word-smith whether the above example gets .30 or not every 4 years? Sigh.

Gee, if only the WTC could think of other ways to ensure Elite level athletes are never incentivized to throw a Layout Full instead of building stamina (or looking at other alternatives) to perfect a Double Tuck DMT off BB. The solution shouldn’t be to throw a DMT that 10-year olds can learn, and the .20 DMT Bonus is so dumb. Just make DMT DV:
A = 0.0
B = 0.1
C = 0.2
D = 0.4
E = 0.6
F = 0.8
G = 0.9
H = 1.0
I = 1.1

…and add back the damn CR, since one of the most important aspects of sound composition is a consistent level of difficulty throughout, including the DMT. Award 0.5 for C (Q/TF) / D (AA/EF).

Spencer is saying that Konnor was first up on floor. Meaning eMjae would do bars and floor and Konnor beam only, unless she is throwing a DTY for shits and giggles.

Practically speaking, I wonder how far that’s true. As well as the situation he inherited, he’s already in a position where multiple gymnasts have been critical either directly or indirectly of him and the selection processes in the last few months. The levels of trust are a problem. Not sending the 2nd place finisher at camp in favour of someone who isn’t even guaranteed to make an EF on her event even if she hits carries a significant risk of further undermining the confidence of the athletes.

Also, screw Tom and Al. Leanne’s routines are so tragic and she had/has so much potential. I mean, even assuming the loss of in-bars was due to growth/injury, they had 2 years to figure out how to compensate. She went from the RUS-lite template / ~6.0 D in 2019 to 5.4 D in 2021, counting a B! 2 years and she couldn’t:

Option 1: Add a Stalder (C) and Piked Jaeger (E) = 5.6 D
Option 2: Add an Invert 1/1 (D) + Piked Jaeger (E) = 5.8 D
Option 3: Add an Invert 1/1 (D) + Piked Jaeger (E); DLO 1/1 (E) = 5.9 D

UB was always going to be a key event for Tokyo, and going from a 14.000 max to 14.200 - 14.500 could’ve made a huge difference!

BB and FX are even sadder. Why the heck did they spend ANY time on things like the Aerial + LSO (same D as BHS+LSO+LSO) and Silivas (-.10 in D from the DDS+Stag)? WHY was/is she throwing a dozen C’s on BB, with a freaking Switch+Straddle leap series? ADD A BHS! And a WOLF FULL? 😦
  1. Switch + Ring Leap + Korbut = C+D+B = .30 CV
  2. Side Aerial + LSO = D+C = .20 CV
  3. Aerial + Split + BHS = D+B+B = .20 CV
  4. Switch Ring = E
  5. Split + Side Somi + Straddle 1/2 = B+D+D = .40 CV
  6. RO + 3/1 = B+F = .20 CV
CDDE | DDDF = 5.4 + 1.3 CV = 6.7 D

Ugh.

Do you want to judge the podium routines? Lmk if you want to and you don’t already have edit rights to the spreadsheet.

Konnor beam only, unless she is throwing a DTY for shits and giggles.
I mean honestly, unless they think there’s a significant chance of her getting injured or it throwing off her beam game, why not? Get an international appraisal and practice competing the event in international competition.

unless a Help Desk contradicts the official COP, which is the most annoying thing in the world
Yep.

See the picture I posted above. That was from the Help Desk. Not the Code.

There is no 10-degree “allowance” written in the “how to interpret layouts on beam” section of the Help Desk.

I mean honestly, unless they think there’s a significant chance of her getting injured or it throwing off her beam game, why not? Get an international appraisal and practice competing the event in international competition.
I would have Konnor, DiCello and Leanne all do AA. And then take the inevitable Twitter-hysteria afterwards. She doesn’t need “the experience”. If USA is putting EmJae Frazier on any future World or Olympic team, they’ve got bigger things to be worrying about.

Ting Hua-tien BB

Wei Xiaoyuan UB

More vids from the same account that I can post later but I need to eat hahaha. Doug, I’m looking to add more gymnasts to the spreadsheet–can I copy and paste or will that f*ck up some formatting?

Edit: just wait til you all see Luo Rui’s BB from PT…

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back