Worlds 2021 - Podium Training

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

With Andrade, I get it more. If I’d had more ACL surgeries than I had ACLs, hoped to carry on for another quad and hadn’t done much floor for a while, I wouldn’t do so much as a forward roll on any floor mat if it hadn’t already provided me with a full CV, three character references and an STI check. No doubt she’d like to be world AA champion, but looking at the field next year, if she’s healthy she’s going to be the one to beat.

Less so Mai. She’s not injured afaik and this is her swansong. In her case I’d rock a 3.7 D score on bars and see what happened.

Yeah I don’t necessarily understand how it’s less pounding to do a dty than a double twist on floor. Or a double pike off beam than off floor? But whatever, I’m just happy she’s competing honestly, with her history of injuries I’d thought she’d take the medals and call it a day

Wait Melnikova has a far better bar routine from PT than a 14.2, lemme find for everyone

The one I judged she had a 0.5 bent knees on the Shap 1/2 (her coach also bumped her but I didn’t deduct for that).

Do you have a full set where she went clean?

The skill itself isn’t less pounding, but the training leading up is where the pounding is more. Training full floor routines for competition takes months to put together, where these gymnasts can probably have these vaults ready in a month, maybe less depending on their comfort level.

Yes, and the FX mat at Worlds is reportedly very hard. Perhaps the vault is more forgiving. In any case, I respect Andrade’s decision. She’s mindful of her own limitations and trying to play the long game.

Urazova and Melnikova were also out of training for a bit with various commitments/quarantine to get their cars.
And we know Urazova had an ankle injury earlier this year, so maybe she’s not quite ready to do 4 events here. I’d rather she not get injured here since I expect she’ll be around most of not all the quad.
As for Melnikova, I expect she’s going to go all out and try to scoop up as much hardware as she can here. If she does get a gold or two here, (I think she’ll get 2 here) we’ll see if that pushes her to continue or makes her want to hang it up.

Last edited:
But, the word / shape “Layout” is not redefined anywhere in the Help Desk you posted. The COP defines a Layout as: stretched / straight / 180° (+/- 10° – referred to specifically as a ‘slight hollow or arch’ and explicitly qualified as ‘allowed’). The Help Desk is simply giving instructions on when to downgrade a Layout Salto on BB; the body shape they say must be held until 45° past vertical is still straight / stretched / 180° (+/- 10°).

It’s ridiculous, though. If they can’t define something like “pike in preparation for landing” (so, a gymnast can grab her hips? have a 90° hip angle after 45° without penalty?) then all the fuss about 10° here / 45° there is rubbish. Konnor is clearly attempting a Layout; does it lack a bit in dynamics? Sure. Could she hold the pure Layout shape longer? Of course. So, take away -.15/.20 or so of the .50 she’s being given.

This isn’t a sport when someone gets to say she “piked down” 5° too soon, call that a Back Pike (which should have 90° hip angle / hand support), and hit her with -.40 (+) E, -.20 D, and CV/SB losses.

I’m with @Doug1233 here. As much as I hate that we have a COP that would ever allow a routine with A or B elements to be short of disastrous at a Worlds, it is what it is. Andrade has been able to compete in the AA twice in her career - 2016 Olympics and 2021 Olympics. It would be fantastic to see her clean up in Paris and at 2022/2023 Worlds along the way, but how is betting on sustaining her health for even 1 of those 3 years less of a risk than doing a watered down routine HERE and NOW, when she is at a Worlds competing top difficulty on 3 of the 4 events?

FLO 1/1+RO+BHS+BLO 1/1 = C>B
RO+BHS+DBL TUCK = D
Memmel, Switch, Switch Ring, Strug, Ring = D, C, C, C
BBCCCCDD
4.4 D + 8.6 E = 13.0

Like, come on.

But we haven’t heard anything about those mats being hard as we have the floor, have we? And Rebecca said she’s not trained floor much since the Olympics because she wanted a break from the event, whereas she hasn’t suggested the same applies for the other elements you mentioned. It sounds like she finds floor the hardest work physically. Ultimately, I think the assumption has to be that she has a better handle on what her body can manage than we do.

This isn’t a sport when someone gets to say she “piked down” 5° too soon, call that a Back Pike (which should have 90° hip angle / hand support), and hit her with -.40 (+) E, -.20 D, and CV/SB losses.
I don’t like it, but it IS because the Code says it is so.

It appears that, when reading the Code and the Helpdesk, that if the layout is 169 degrees or less (in stretch), at 45 degrees after the vertical, then the D Panel must downgrade to Pike.

We might not like it. It might result in ridiculousness. She is obviously attempting a layout. But that’s what the rules currently say. IMO - Konnor’s shape, at 45 degrees before landing, is not at 170+. So, in that PT video, I would downgrade to pike.

I hope that in Prelims she can get it. I love her gymnastics. The difference in quality between her leaps and the rest of the US girls is stark.

FLO 1/1+RO+BHS+BLO 1/1 = C>B
RO+BHS+DBL TUCK = D
Memmel, Switch, Switch Ring, Strug, Ring = D, C, C, C
BBCCCCDD
4.4 D + 8.6 E = 13.0
This is her beam routine:

I would have her do:

Double Pike
Back Layout
Front Full
Split to Switch Ring
Switch to Switch 1/2
Split Jump 1/1

DAC/CBCAC = 4.0

Assuming - 0.3 on the Double Pike. 0.1 on the Front Full and Back Layout. 0.1 for the Switch Ring. I can’t see anything on the Switch. 0.1 on the Switch Half. 0.1 on the Split Jump 1/1. And 0.2 for artistry.

= 9.0 E + 4.0 D = 13.0

Ridonculous. It’s literally asking her to do her beam skills in a floor routine dance through.

But what kind of endurance or injury issue could be preventing this?

This one is a real toughie to D Panel.

I had a 5.7 but there’s a real argument to give as high as 6.3. I gave everything except:
(1) Aerial Cartwheel to Split (losing 0.1CV and 0.1 SB = 0.2);
(2) Switch Ring to BHS (losing 0.1 CV); and
(3) Front Aerial to Split Jump Ring (losing 0.2 CV and 0.1 SB = 0.3)

All of these were close but not quite enough for me, having just watched this:

Last edited:
I can see Luo Rui winning gold on bars and beam. She is just ridiculously clean. Look at this:

Does she have a vault and a floor, back home?

Last edited:
Yeah Murakami hurt it two Fridays ago.

Luo is stunning on bars but the lower D score, Pak salto, and Gienger will surely keep her away from gold. Good that she got rid of the cast 1/2 and added the orphan 1/2 tho

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back