US Classic Session 2 thread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Suni would have beaten Jordan into 3rd with a 14.7 bar routine.

Absent injury - Suni is going to Paris.

The field chose itself today. It is:

Simone, Shilese, Suni, Jade
5th: Skye or Jordan (alternate is the other)

Leanne, Josc and DiCello would need injuries to get in the mix. Tiana was never in the mix but had a great day today.

I’m gutted for Konnor.

Gabby is done. I can’t see how you can trust her in an Olympic team. She doesn’t have the numbers. And scratching after getting a 10 was the absolute worst thing she could have done unless she was injured.

That’s it. Put them all in bubble wrap. I can’t take it anymore.

Last edited:

Leanne, Josc and DiCello would need injuries to get in the mix. Tiana was never in the mix but had a great day today.

I’m gutted for Konnor.

Gabby is done.

I hope you are correct about Suni. It seems so impossible.

gabby made the EXACT same mistake on the second eagle grip pirouette in the one touch.

even the baulk was a carbon copy in the meet.

that says bad bad bad to me.

I really wish she and Suni... well all of them really, would get off social media. At least until the Olympics are over. I don't understand why it's so difficult for them to turn it off.
I think it's a generation Z thing at this point, just about everyone born 1997 or later. I don't think they remember a time before social media.

My team would be;
Simone
Shilese
Jade
Suni
An AAer - too early to call between Jordan/Kayla/Leanne/Skye but Jordan put herself in prime position today.

I'm less concerned about highest scoring team since any combination of above with Simone and Shilese will be the highest scoring team (sorry for going all Tom Forester here). But looking at it from an event final/medal chance.

VT - Simone and Jade
UB - Shilese and Suni
BB - Simone and Suni
FX - Simone and Shilese/Jade

It's still too soon to count Kayla and Leanne out, IMO. If they hit and do well at Nationals, they will both be back in the discussion. Also Kaliya Lincoln is a possibility as well.
Fully agree about Kayla and Leanne. I don't think the 5th is sufficiently cemented at this point and possibly not the 4th either. Simone and Shilese are locks, I think Jade too because of the second vault medal. Jordan looked great, but her position is more vulnerable due to not really being needed in TFs and not fitting the solid AAer who can be relied on anywhere mould. There is room.

I personally would like to take Suni just on the strength of beam, but don't think the selectors would consider her locked on that basis just yet.

I could be assuming wrong, but don't they have social media managers doing the majority of their posts? They need to maintain their presence for endorsements and sponsorships.
Other athletes, definitely. But I doubt any of these girls aside from Simone are earning enough for that.

I’m gutted for Konnor.

Gabby is done. I can’t see how you can trust her in an Olympic team. She doesn’t have the numbers. And scratching after getting a 10 was the absolute worst thing she could have done unless she was injured.

I don't know about this. Suni's stock is definitely up and she is a top contender but she still hasn't performed a successful elite bar routine since Tokyo. She still has to show that her bars are at least reliable (IMO) and she has just four routines to do so. That's not a given.

Agreed that Gabby is done and her scratching was somehow even more disastrous than the UB routine.

I don't know about this. Suni's stock is definitely up and she is a top contender but she still hasn't performed a successful elite bar routine since Tokyo. She still has to show that her bars are at least reliable (IMO) and she has just four routines to do so. That's not a given.
Agreed. Suni's ticket is not yet punched.

There's definitely room for someone with a stellar bar routine to get the 4th or 5th spot, albeit it might be Jordan whose spot that person would take. A team of Simone, Shilese, Jade, Suni beam and AN Other great bars would be pretty good.

However... that person doesn't have much time to emerge! And the top 4 from last night plus Suni just for beam would be a very good lineup.

My team would be;
Simone
Shilese
Jade
Suni
An AAer - too early to call between Jordan/Kayla/Leanne/Skye but Jordan put herself in prime position today.

I'm less concerned about highest scoring team since any combination of above with Simone and Shilese will be the highest scoring team (sorry for going all Tom Forester here). But looking at it from an event final/medal chance.

VT - Simone and Jade
UB - Shilese and Suni
BB - Simone and Suni
FX - Simone and Shilese/Jade
I think this is a realistic as it gets for a Paris prediction at this point. Although not 100% about Suni.

I would have thought Suni was ready for ub since earlier she wanted to go to world cups

I think this is a realistic as it gets for a Paris prediction at this point. Although not 100% about Suni.
Suni is still living on reputation a bit at this point given we haven't seen the bars routine. Without that big bars routine, it will be hard to justify having her on the team for 1 event. That said, her beam was super impressive and will be hard to leave behind if she keeps hitting it.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back