US Classic Session 2 thread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She's definitely not a lock without a TF-worthy bar routine, but if she keeps hitting beam routines that are .75 over Blakely, she's got a good shot. McClain (#3 beam) is out and Hang (#5 beam) isn't making a case for herself

Jordan did herself a world of good yesterday and put herself in contention for the team.

Her routine construction is improved and, considering her injury and limited ability to compete this year, they held back on a number of upgrades which served her well.

What was most exciting to see is that she seemed ready and excited to compete last night, while so many others melted. That's worth a lot.

Why are you even proposing Skye Blakely? Blakely wouldn't be top 3 on any event on that team.

It's clearly Jordan Chiles. She raises the team score on bars (3rd best tonight).
Your number doesn’t include a Suni bars score, right?

Plus, Skye fell on bars tonight.

I just prefer Skye over Jordan.

Jordan did herself a world of good yesterday and put herself in contention for the team.

Her routine construction is improved and, considering her injury and limited ability to compete this year, they held back on a number of upgrades which served her well.

What was most exciting to see is that she seemed ready and excited to compete last night, while so many others melted. That's worth a lot.
And that ready and excited goes a long way given so much shakiness from others. She also stepped up big for the team when needed during the last Olympics. You want that kind of ready-for-whatever mentality on your Olympic team. You have to balance scores with toughness and she's well positioned with both.

I unfortunately don’t trust Skye. She’s fallen so many times when she was needed to step up. It’ll be interesting to see her hit rate over her next 4 days of competitions.

And that ready and excited goes a long way given so much shakiness from others. She also stepped up big for the team when needed during the last Olympics. You want that kind of ready-for-whatever mentality on your Olympic team. You have to balance scores with toughness and she's well positioned with both.
This is why I lean towards Jordan over Skye. The experience she’s had is invaluable.

Suni is still living on reputation a bit at this point given we haven't seen the bars routine. Without that big bars routine, it will be hard to justify having her on the team for 1 event. That said, her beam was super impressive and will be hard to leave behind if she keeps hitting it.
I agree. Suni is living on both repuation and past performance and sentiment. We all just like her and are rooting for her for many reasons. But we have to see her on bars

Just catching up. I know we have our preferences…but if championships and trials finish like classics the team is a lock right? No way you don’t take a team of 5 that includes the top 3 AA and all 4 event champions.

Jordan Chiles and Skye Blakely have both competed in two World/Olympic team finals for USA.

Chiles’ lowest counting TF score is 11.700
Blakely’s lowest counting TF score is 13.266

Both have fallen on two routines in Quals.
Both have fallen on one routine in a Team Final.

My team would be;
Simone
Shilese
Jade
Suni
An AAer - too early to call between Jordan/Kayla/Leanne/Skye but Jordan put herself in prime position today.
This is my team, too, and if I were to choose right now that last spot would go to Jordan without question. She's looking like she's on track to physically peak at the right time (knock on wood) and I feel like the team needs her enthusiasm and leadership. Hell, her joy during competitions even motivates me.

This is my team, too, and if I were to choose right now that last spot would go to Jordan without question. She's looking like she's on track to physically peak at the right time (knock on wood) and I feel like the team needs her enthusiasm and leadership. Hell, her joy during competitions even motivates me.
But there is always an element of uncertainty about Jordan, Lets see how she looks at Nationals

I feel like THE biggest question to answer is this:

Given a 4-person base team of Biles, Jones, Lee, and Carey, who can regularly beat the top 3 on each apparatus listed below?

VT Simone, Jade, Shilese
UB Shilese, Suni*, Simone
BB Suni, Simone, Shilese
FX Simone, Shilese, Jade

I honestly don't see anyone doing it at this point. So it makes more sense to take an AAer as the 5th person. Jordan fits that.

*I know we haven't seen Suni's bars yet, but she's a multi-medalist, and she's capable of an "easy" routine that is still better than everyone else's except Shi's. Probably better than a theoretical Douglas, too.

I feel like THE biggest question to answer is this:

Given a 4-person base team of Biles, Jones, Lee, and Carey, who can regularly beat the top 3 on each apparatus listed below?

VT Simone, Jade, Shilese
UB Shilese, Suni*, Simone
BB Suni, Simone, Shilese
FX Simone, Shilese, Jade

I honestly don't see anyone doing it at this point. So it makes more sense to take an AAer as the 5th person. Jordan fits that.

*I know we haven't seen Suni's bars yet, but she's a multi-medalist, and she's capable of an "easy" routine that is still better than everyone else's except Shi's. Probably better than a theoretical Douglas, too.
The big issue is still Suni on bars. If there’s a serviceable bar routine, it’s a safer bet, but we haven’t seen it. If she doesn't have one and she’s on the team anyway.. Simone is doing bars in the team final and Jade is your backup in the above scenario.

Jordan Chiles and Skye Blakely have both competed in two World/Olympic team finals for USA.

Chiles’ lowest counting TF score is 11.700
Blakely’s lowest counting TF score is 13.266

Both have fallen on two routines in Quals.
Both have fallen on one routine in a Team Final.

I think it a bit tough to blame Chiles for the unique circumstances that were the Toyko TF where she she had to deal with the sudden issues and withdrawal of Simone and then go up on events she had not prepared to do in TF.

Did anyone score Skye's bb? I thought she looked really jittery with balance checks/breaks on almost all elements and a chest down landing on the double pike. Also did she almost forget to do her side choreography after the ariel at the end? It looked really awkward. I was surprised to see her get 13.85.

I think it a bit tough to blame Chiles for the unique circumstances that were the Toyko TF where she she had to deal with the sudden issues and withdrawal of Simone and then go up on events she had not prepared to do in TF.

I’m not blaming anyone for anything, literally just stating facts.

The big issue is still Suni on bars. If there’s a serviceable bar routine, it’s a safer bet, but we haven’t seen it. If she doesn't have one and she’s on the team anyway.. Simone is doing bars in the team final and Jade is your backup in the above scenario.
Jordan's bars are better than Jade's. If you lost Suni mid comp, you would have Shi, Simone, and Jordan on bars. Skye usually has a better bars than Jordan but WOGA gymnasts were splatting all over the place in both sessions so who knows what is going on in that gym?

Right now I have Jordan over Skye but if Skye's coaches are just pacing her for an O peak, well, my mind can be changed. I also have Trinity over Suni, so you can see i am perfectly willing to live in lala land.

A team of Simone, Shi, Jade, Skye, and Jordan could be interesting. I'm just glad Jade is looking so solid on vault and okay everywhere else. I do wish Jordan had been able to upgrade at least one vault--a ragged amanar or Cheng aren't going to blow the other teams out of the water as they did in the past, but I think it still increases your credit if you can claim one of them.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back