US Classic Session 2 thread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Is Jade competitive internationally for a vault medal? I assume she is (but could be wrong).

If she is, I feel like that alone justifies her making the team.

Top-scoring team: appears to be Biles, Jones, Carey, Lee, Chiles
  • VT: Biles, Jones, Carey
  • UB: Jones, Biles, Chiles or Thomas
  • BB: Biles, Jones, Lee (skipped McClain due to injury)
  • FX: Biles, Jones, Carey
Technically it's either Chiles or Thomas, but you take Chiles for her back-up on other apparatus. Note that the only other possibilities to include are Lincoln and Sumanasekera on floor, since they beat Carey there, but Jade's vault compensates for that and none of them have bars or beams anywhere near what Chiles/Thomas give on bars.

Important Caveat: By Olympics, Lee could be swinging bars, too. So the slot Chiles currently fills is EASILY replaceable by anyone who contributes on literally ANY apparatus.
  • If a gymnast shows up with a good Cheng, she's in.
  • If Douglas shows up with a 14.8 bars, she's in.
  • If McClain isn't injured and shows up with a reliable 14.7 beam, she's in.

(Combined two posts and edited a bit)

Last edited:
Is Jade competitive internationally for a vault medal? I assume she is (but could be wrong).

If she is, I feel like that alone justifies her making the team.
She totally is. She's probably the favorite for bronze right now, in fact. (Andrade and Biles are clearly better.)

Glad to see shilese and Simone (and Jordan) hit all 4. Really hard to watch Gabby withdraw. The rest is all over the place.

Simone's advantage is 75% vault. And the rest is arguably reputation. 1.25 deficit for shilese on vault alone, (and Shilese has an excellent vault). It reminds me so much of Suni in the run up to Tokyo, when all of the sudden Simone became catchable by someone with terrific technique, presentation, pacing, and a fabulous bars set.

I love we all thought we were going to get clarity after tonight, but everyone's team is Simone, Shilese and three 🤷‍♀️'s.
I am not reading the same posts you are because it seems like everyone is agreeing on Jade and pretty much everyone is agreeing on Suni, too. :-)

Jordan made a strong case for herself on bars. But I just don’t think you can take that floor routine to the Olympics

That sounds like some kind of strange personal bias. Her FX is serviceable, with room to improve the dance, and wouldn't be used in team final anyway. Skye hasn't shown the ability to do better than Jordan on any of FX, VT, or UB (she lost UB to Jordan even without the fall) and she barely outscored her on BB too.

I need USAG to get session 2 routines posted so we can see these second vaults, along with all the other routines we missed.
I don’t think the intl feed missed any routines. They were replayed between rotations

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back