Simone is out of the AA, VT, UB and FX

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

How healthy is it for her to be the one reading all the nasty comments and having to post to defend herself? Why can’t anyone else do their fucking job and shield her from all this?
What are they going to do? Illegally steal a 24 year old woman’s personal cell phone? Make her ask permission if she wants to text her family or boyfriend, then watch over her shoulder to make sure she doesn’t open Twitter?

Uh no. There should be someone to issue a clear, understandable statement on her behalf so she isn’t the one forced to continue to defend herself.

Like why is Aimee Boorman the only non-gymnast adult able to come forward to explain the safety implications of all of this instead of anyone on USAG staff, Tom, or anyone else?

If I was a USA fan I would be hoping to keep Forster, because unless they rehire Liukin (with a team of publicists) a better replacement isn’t coming.
I agree with you a bit. What successful coach would want the job? Any baggage or bad moments will be dredged up online andUSAG doesn’t seem like a very stable ship. Tom isn’t great but 🤷‍♀️

I agree it’s outrageous that usag couldn’t draft something for him to read (and make him practice it until he was convincing)…. But he is so bad at talking to media he would probably tick people off more.

I mean he’s not the only person employed at USAG either though. What about Li Li Leung or even anyone from USOPC? This is what people mean by failing the athletes by taking the glory for their successes and throwing them under the PR bus when they’re struggling.

USOPC isn’t just for the summer Olympics either. I saw a post from a winter Olympian that actually probably more winter Olympians understand because a lot of winter sports are extreme sports. It’s not just you go slower or you get a worse score in the game. Most summer sports, you’re not putting your life at risk by pushing through and that’s really the biggest difference.

I mean he’s not the only person employed at USAG either though. What about Li Li Leung or even anyone from USOPC? This is what people mean by failing the athletes by taking the glory for their successes and throwing them under the PR bus when they’re struggling.
It’s disgraceful. They’ve just left her out for the wolves to the point where she’s having to explain on instagram what’s going on with her!

Literally put together and have someone read a statement about the timeline, the inability to sub anyone in, the fact that she kept trying literally until it clearly became a) too dangerous, and b) would’ve cost the team medaling at all, and the fact that this isn’t something she can “push through” because it’s not just her being stressed or scared, she physically CANNOT do her skills.

Every fucking gymnast in the world, even SVETLANA KHORKINA, has done more to explain the situation and encourage people to empathize with Simone than the organization that’s supposed to manage all this shit for her!

No hard evidence, but my inference is that these issues could have triggered the twisties. Stress does messed up things to the body.
That may well be. Stress may have triggered the twisties, but she still did not leave the TF because of stress. She left because of the twisties. And that is what needed to be clarified. Right up front. By USAG. By Tom. By Landi.

It’s disgraceful. They’ve just left her out for the wolves to the point where she’s having to explain on instagram what’s going on with her!

Literally put together and have someone read a statement about the timeline, the inability to sub anyone in, the fact that she kept trying literally until it clearly became a) too dangerous, and b) would’ve cost the team medaling at all, and the fact that this isn’t something she can “push through” because it’s not just her being stressed or scared, she physically CANNOT do her skills.

Every fucking gymnast in the world, even SVETLANA KHORKINA, has done more to explain the situation and encourage people to empathize with Simone than the organization that’s supposed to manage all this shit for her!
This. (10 characters)

I’m shocked that Laurent has not come out to speak about what’s going on. I know Simone has been sharing bits and pieces but with an athlete who is still technically supposed to be competing- the reserves need an answer. I don’t know, the whole thing is odd.

From the questions Simone answered on Instagram, we are able to establish the following
  1. Mykayla is training vault
  2. The issue mainly affects her on floor and vault
  3. She is training bars and beam
  4. She’s had the same issue before and it took a couple of weeks to sort out
  5. A club in Tokyo has allowed her to train there, with access to pits etc
  6. Her post olympic tour goes ahead as planned, with no twisting for her!
  7. She probably won’t make a decision until the day before each final
  8. She’s confirmed that it’s just a case of twisties, she isn’t dealing with any other issues

The EF situation appears to still be up in the air. I doubt they’ve made a call yet. Obviously that makes life harder for the reserves, but that’s the nature of competition. Every reserve athlete knows the invitation to step in could come at any point between qualifications ending and the relevant final starting. There’s nothing wrong with an athlete who’s qualified but uncertain taking all the time they’re allowed to in order to maximise their chances of participation, whether that’s Biles, Iordache, Saraiva or Black.

The description of the twisties sounds vaguely like a mild cousin version of vertigo to me. When I have a vertigo attack, I go blind, can’t tell up from down, front from back, feel like I’m in a vacuum, and I have no control of my body. It can’t be controlled or predicted. I don’t know how long it will last; could be a day or over a week and it is all caused by my ears.

Yes, we only have to recall the glorious 2011 floor final where Afanasyeva was subbed just prior and Chelaru wasn’t even in the arena for the starting lineup.

Ultimately the reserves are entitled to nothing except for the first chance to replace an injured gymnast, whenever the opportunity comes. Afanasyeva showed she could win on extremely short notice, anyway.

Last edited:
“We could not be prouder of how this team handled things tonight,” said USA Gymnastics CEO Li Li Leung. “From Simone’s bravery and selflessness to the team’s ability to adapt quickly and perform so well, these young women inspired us all.”

It’s the Landi’s who haven’t said anything. Cecile, who is usually quick to engage on twitter, hasn’t mentioned Simone at all.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back