Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

MAG Apparatus winners:

FX: Doi Ryosuke (JPN)
PH: Edoardo De Rosa (ITA)
SR: Adem Asil (TUR)
VT: Harry Hepworth (GBR)
PB: Mario Macchiati (ITA)
HB: Hashimoto Daiki (JPN)

Great achievement for Harry Hepworth, and a big score with a 14.866 average and 15.100 for his second vault.

After their fantastic performance yesterday the US team weren’t so hot today. Yul Moldauer won silver on floor and Asher Hong bronze on pommels, but it looks like they fell or had big errors in all the other finals.

Speaking of apparatus finals, there are only two gymnasts on the start list for the women’s vault final, because no one else did two vaults. And with the gap between them today, Roberson would probably have to fall twice tomorrow to make it a contest.

I don’t know if the stats bear this out, but it feels like women’s vault has rather stagnated in recent years, with small fields, often rather predictable results and at the top end fewer really big vaults around. I find MAG vault one of the best events to watch, but WAG vault, especially outside of the Olympics/Worlds, possibly the least interesting.

Brody was last with a 5.3 and a 7.3(or something close) on HB… wonder what happened

It isn’t hate. Her form and gymnastics are generally very…raw. She doesn’t stretch her legs or point her toes or put the finishing flourish on moves that better gymnasts do. That doesn’t mean she can’t get better–even the biggest critics here would say that Aly Raisman improved in her second run to the Olympics and Mykayla Skinner was a lot improved after college (though had some skills that seemed chucked instead of mastered). Roberson’s original coaching situation left her with difficulty and terrible form. It seems like she is working on getting that fixed (which will also endear her to people because everyone likes someone who works to improve) but her form at times is still quite poor.

We also dislike judges ignoring massive errors while nitpicking minor ones (the bent knee, loosey-goosey Amanars that people were doing vs the tiny crossed toes of Simone).

Crashed the dismount and whacked his knee. There’s video on Youtube but I won’t link as it’s apparently a bit scary. Not sure what the injury situation is yet.

To be fair, she does stretch through her legs and toes on some skills (strong leg muscles not withstanding), and in this bar routine I can clearly see she’s worked on shoulder flexibility in the last month. She’s showing growth and improvement in the areas she needs to, and still displaying the attack she’s always had. She grew on me a lot this meet.

I think the scores are a bit high. It’s early in the season and not many top gymnasts that would justify the high scores.

yes definitly cleaner which is good. Turns are still late and some leg sep and arm bend. Handstands are not great but better. It just all looks so forced. Maybe she will develop some better swing as she gets older.

Zoe Miller - Uneven Bars

D Score

DV

F x 1 (Downie), 0.6
E x 3 (piked stalder full, Shaposhnikova 1/2 from stalder entry, van Leeuwen), 1.5
D x 4 (piked stalder 1/2, straddled Jaeger, Pak salto, double layout dismount), 1.6

Total DV - 3.7

CV

piked stalder full + Shaposhnikova 1/2 from stalder entry
(E + E, one element with flight), 0.2

piked stalder 1/2 + straddled Jaeger
(D + D, both with turn or flight), 0.1

Downie + Pak salto
(D + F, both with flight), 0.2

Total CV - 0.5

Dismount Bonus

double layout (D), 0.2

CR
  1. Flight element from high bar to low bar, (Pak salto)
  2. Flight element with regrasp to same bar, (straddled Jaeger or Downie)
  3. Different grips, (piked stalder 1/2, straddled Jaeger)
  4. Non-flight element with 360 degree turn, (piked stalder full)
Total CR - 2.0

Total D - 3.7 + 0.5 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 6.4

E Score

cast to handstand with legs straddled
(body posture / piked hips), 0.1

piked stalder full
(flexed feet), 0.1
(lack of precision / off-axis during turn), 0.1

Shaposhnikova 1/2 from stalder entry
(flexed feet), 0.1
(lack of precision / turn not fully completed upon regrasp), 0.1

piked stalder 1/2
(flexed feet), 0.1
(angle of completion, between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand), 0.1

Downie
(flexed feet), 0.1

Pak salto
(leg separation - visible on the DTB TV footage, appeared to be at shoulder width, but not past), 0.1

van Leeuwen
(lack of precision / turn not fully completed upon regrasp), 0.1

giant
(bent knees), 0.1

second giant
(bent knees), 0.1

double layout
(bent knees), 0.1
(body shape in second salto, bent knees, excessive arch), 0.1
(failure to maintain stretched position), 0.1

Total Deductions - 1.9, E Score - 8.1, Actual E Score - 8.450

Overall, looking cleaner and more polished compared to 2022. The technique on her dismount needs to be addressed as she is letting go of the bar too early, which is why she flies so far away from the bar, but her center of gravity does not show a good rise.

Roberson floor today

13.300 (5.6 D, 7.7 E), down from 14.15 (6.2 D, 7.95 E) yesterday. Lost out to Julia Soares on the E score tiebreak.

They seemed to take an age to come up with the score. The theory in the comments seems to be that the stutter in the third pass breaks the acro line, which I think means the front full isn’t in an acro line and can’t fulfil the composition requirement?

Judges opinions please?

Last edited:
EF Results:
seniors

Vault
  1. ROBERSON, Joscelyn USA 14.083 points
  2. SCHÖNMAIER, Karina Germany 13.016 points
Uneven Bars
  1. MILLER, Zoe USA 14.633 points
  2. VEERMAN, Sanna Netherlands 14.233 points
  3. ENGHELS, Fien Belgium 13.666 points
  4. JAUCH, Meolie Germany 13.500 points
  5. LAROUI, Djenna France 11.166 points
  6. MCDONALD, Kate Australia 11.100 points
Balance beam
  1. SCHLEGEL, Jessica Germany 13.433 points
  2. BRASSART, Maellyse Belgium 13.133 points
  3. FRANCERIES, Léa France 12.733 points
  4. SOARES, Julia Brazil 12.633 points
  5. KUSUMOTO, Hima Japan 12.566 points
  6. SULLIVAN, Ashlee USA 12.400 points
Floor
  1. SOARES, Julia Brazil 13.300 points
  2. ROBERSON, Joscelyn 13.300 points
  3. TRAN, Aurelie Canada 12.833 points
  4. LAROUI, Djenna France 12.666 points
  5. VOLLEMAN, Tisha Netherlands 12.433 points
  6. VERKEST, Jutta Belgium 11.666 points
juniors

Vault
  1. GHERARDI VAN EIJKEN, Ming France 13.183 points
  2. FONTAINE, Lia Monica Canada 12.983 points
  3. FLOREA, Alexandra Monica Romania 12.733 points
  4. DE WIJZE, Alij Netherlands 12.483 points
  5. STÖHR, Silja Germany 12.416 points
  6. LEIZEROVICH, Almog Israel 12.199 points
uneven bars
  1. VIALLAT, Lilou France 12,600 points
  2. ESCAURIAZA TIPACTI, Leire Spain 12,300 points
  3. BLACK, Gabrielle Canada 11.933 points
  4. DINU, Bianca Romania 11.833 points
  5. SHOSHANI, Yali Israel 11.066 points
  6. GOTTHARDT, Marlene Germany 10.566 points
balance beam
  1. DESCAMPS, Naomi Belgium 12.666 points
  2. GOTTHARDT, Marlene Germany 12.633 points
  3. PONDART, Lana France 12,400 points
  4. VANOAGA, Alexia Gabriela Romania 12.166 points
  5. DE VRIES, Tess Netherlands 11,900 points
  6. WILSON, Reese Kanda 11.566 points
Floor
  1. FAUSTO, Gabrielle Canada 12.466 points
  2. MIHAESCU, Anamaria Romania 12.033 points
  3. WOETZEL, Lisa Germany 11.966 points
  4. DE WIJZE, Alij Netherlands 11.900 points
  5. GHERARDI VAN EIJKEN, Ming France 11.766 points
  6. SHOSHANI, Yali Israel 10,900 points

They seemed to take an age to come up with the score. The theory in the comments seems to be that the stutter in the third pass breaks the acro line, which I think means the front full isn’t in an acro line and can’t fulfil the composition requirement?
no expert here but she continued the flow of the pass and completed it so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t credit it… her momentum never comes to a stop!

Last edited:
Yeah, but where else can you lose .6 D on fx? BB broken connections, but even hammering leaps doesn’t usually cause a .6D drop.

I like how she gets into her wolf trun position and then just does it without all the over prepping. Bonus because she does it fast and it works with the music.

The things that I wondered about
  1. Did they downgrade her first pass? It looked more “open tuck” than layout - in fact open tuck on first somi and then piked on second
  2. then there was her leap series - I think that she dropped her leg early on the L-leap and then the second leap did not appear to hit 180 (although hard to fully see from the angle)
Could some/all of these not being credited lead to a loss of 0.6?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back