2024 US Olympic Trials MAG Day 2 (6/29)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Only 2 alternates?

The women will also only be taking two. They are bringing two to Paris and also naming two non-travelling alts.

If I had to guess, the USOC decided they were only going to pay to house 2 alts this time. To include more people, USAG said we will name 2 non-travelling alts as well then. The women's program have done this before, they offered Maggie Nichols a "non-travelling alt" spot in 2016 just so she'd be included in things like the pre-Olympic training camp. She declined it.

I don't know enough about the men's side to know if they are naming two non-travelling alts as well.

The women will also only be taking two. They are bringing two to Paris and also naming two non-travelling alts.

If I had to guess, the USOC decided they were only going to pay to house 2 alts this time. To include more people, USAG said we will name 2 non-travelling alts as well then. The women's program have done this before, they offered Maggie Nichols a "non-travelling alt" spot in 2016 just so she'd be included in things like the pre-Olympic training camp. She declined it.

I don't know enough about the men's side to know if they are naming two non-travelling alts as well.
Ugh. This is going to start to annoy me.

USOC have nothing to do with alternates. They do not exist to them. USAG pays for them and their coaches to travel, stay in a hotel and make arrangements for them to train at a French gym

In 2016 all three alternates stayed at the USOC's Team USA house.

The alternates do not exist to the IOC.

The Team USA house in 2016 had it's own gym. There were athletes from other sports staying there as well. It definitely seemed like a place the USOC had organized.

The Team USA house in 2016 had it's own gym. There were athletes from other sports staying there as well. It definitely seemed like a place the USOC had organized.
I don't know if that's the norm. Obviously Tokyo was completely different due to covid restrictions, but I was in Team USA house in London 2012 and it was just a social club for the athletes and their families. It was very nice, but it certainly didnt have room for people to stay there.

If it doesn't work out for MAG in Paris and its because of Nedoroscik, it might be time to change the criteria and make it so that you cannot be a 1 event gymnast for a team event.
I'm honestly perplexed at the idea of a one-event MAG. There are six events; how are you only doing one? And then he's not even a top medal contender on it? And watered down at Olympic Trials?

I'm honestly perplexed at the idea of a one-event MAG. There are six events; how are you only doing one? And then he's not even a top medal contender on it? And watered down at Olympic Trials?
My guess is that he watered down to a routine he knows he could hit at least three times and would still put him on the team mathematically. I don’t blame him for playing that game at all. The selection procedures are public knowledge.

At the end of the day he went four for four on what is unquestionably the weakest event for the team. If others had stepped up and hit when it mattered, he wouldn’t be on the team. Going by the numbers, he is the most likely athlete to hit his set in team finals.

There are just too many events and not enough spots on the team to pick it in any other way.

Wiskus is top 2 on two events, won the AA on night 2, and top 3 AA overall, any other year he would be on the team.
Nedoroscik happened to make the highest scoring team (3 up 3 count) even with watered down routines because that Is where the US is weakest.

Nedoroscik was 1st on 1 event only.

Either way he is on the highest scoring team. A team which changed throughout the process, but Nedoroscik, Malone, Richard were consistently on the team the entire process.
Young unfortunately didn't produce. If he had two trials routines like he had at Worlds last year he would have made the team over Nedoroscik and especially because he could add to the team totals on floor and vault.

Wiskus is top 2 on two events, won the AA on night 2, and top 3 AA overall, any other year he would be on the team.
Nedoroscik happened to make the highest scoring team (3 up 3 count) even with watered down routines because that Is where the US is weakest.

Nedoroscik was 1st on 1 event only.
I think there is an issue weighing nationals and trials equally. If wonder if trials had been weighed more if Shane would be on the team. He did not have a good nationals.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back