2024 US Olympic Trials MAG Day 2 (6/29)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Pommels is not a great event on which to concentrate a bunch of risk. If it were rings, it wouldn't be such a worry.

It does blow my mind that after the years of yelling about the US men's consistency (general comment, not directed at any particular poster, just looking at social media) people are enraged Khoi Young was left off the team despite falling on 50 % of his PH routines. He would have been used on that in TF. One of his scores during the selection events was an 11. I think the committee was worried about that, but in the end the math solved that for them.

NBC was saying the 2nd highest scoring team was .05 lower than the team chosen and that it had Yul on it, but they didn't say who he would be replacing, unless I missed that part.

NBC was saying the 2nd highest scoring team was .05 lower than the team chosen and that it had Yul on it, but they didn't say who he would be replacing, unless I missed that part.
I think it might have been Juda. Either way, could anyone calculate the top 5 teams without one-event gymnasts? I'm just curious and it might help me move on.

No. He's only trained PH since graduating high school.
This is just so weird to me. So he goes to the gym with all the other guys and does what when he finishes his one event? And I feel like he should be SO consistent if that’s all he’s training but he’s not. I understand he ‘hit’ 4 for 4 but only kind of.

I am just so sad about Khoi. And Asher makes me nervous.

This is just so weird to me. So he goes to the gym with all the other guys and does what when he finishes his one event? And I feel like he should be SO consistent if that’s all he’s training but he’s not. I understand he ‘hit’ 4 for 4 but only kind of.
I agree. If all he's ever training is one event, he should be top of the field internationally and more consistent at full difficulty than Gina Gogean. Not just a little bit stronger than everybody else on the team. It's not that I don't totally disagree with bringing a one-eventer; I was still ready to bring Shilese Jones for UB alone. But Shilese was an EF medal contender, much more than just a little better than the rest of the USA WAG.

Can anyone make/provide a spreadsheet or a detailed look at al the scores and rankings (AA, individual apparatus) to see the breakdown of how close it was for everyone, and the different scenarios? Thank you!

I agree. If all he's ever training is one event, he should be top of the field internationally and more consistent at full difficulty than Gina Gogean. Not just a little bit stronger than everybody else on the team. It's not that I don't totally disagree with bringing a one-eventer; I was still ready to bring Shilese Jones for UB alone. But Shilese was an EF medal contender, much more than just a little better than the rest of the USA WAG.
This isn’t the right analogy. Setting aside that Stephen is a former world champion on PH while Shilese has never won gold on UB (if you’re pushing the idea that he’s lost that level), the right analogy would be that Simone had scores in the 12’s and 13’s on UB as part of her 4 scores and Suni had major mistakes on both UB sets during trials to be scoring in the 13’s, making Shilese’s contribution absolutely necessary.

You seem to be comparing maximum potential scores to say that Stephen is a little better than the rest of the US men. You’re not considering what actually happened during this process. Stephen was a whole lot better on PH than Fred, Brody, Asher, Shane, Khoi, Yul, etc.

But he's a former World Champion ("top of the field internationally"), and certainly a contender for a medal in Paris. And his score will likely be more than 1.5 higher than the 3rd-best on the team (no matter who was named to it).

Absolutely.
IMG_1163.jpeg

This is just so weird to me. So he goes to the gym with all the other guys and does what when he finishes his one event?
It’s my understanding that he was ready to retire and be done with gymnastics entirely around high school because he wasn’t able to progress any farther on the other five events, but a coach convinced him to keep training just on PH and he ended up with a scholarship to Penn State just for PH. So he kept going.

He was talking again about retiring after graduating college but he just kept winning National PH titles and making teams. He ended up at EVO being sponsored to train so he’s still going.

And now he’s an Olympian.

Should send the coach that told him to stick with PH a gift basket because it has certainly worked out for him!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back