2022 World Gymnastics Championships Event Finals Day 2 (Sunday 11/06)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I just don’t care? If they like the way ribbons or bows work in their hair or make them feel, cool. There’s nothing inherently more childish or grown up about a scrunchie vs ribbon vs nothing. Go with what feels good, change it when it doesn’t. It’s hair.

Just make sure it’s secure.

That podium clearly should have been 1. Skye, 2. Ou and 3. Rebeca.

I’m not normally a fan of “should haves” but I’m disappointed by that beam podium.

You don’t see short hair anymore. I can only think of Murakami is recent years. In the late 80s to mid 90s it was quite common.

Yeah, I thought teen fashion was starting to veer back towards early to mid 00s trends. Something about low risers and mini skirts becoming popular again.

Last edited:
I work at a k-12 school, and my office is in our upper school building. I can’t say I’ve seen too many girls with ribbons in their hair. Maybe they’re more popular among the middle schoolers, but I never see them.

But this is the South: sticking ginormous bows on girls from the moment they are born until they’re around age 8 is a THING.

I just rewatched Watanabe’s routine and while she’s a perfectly fine elite gymnast, that is such a forgettable performance and I’ve never been more upset about hair ribbons in my life.

Crazy that Watanabe was originally the alternate for Japan and stepped in close to last minute.
Then she wasn’t even used in team finals.

Now she is World beam champion.

Talk about beginner’s luck.

All I know about current teenage fashion is what the 17-year old girl who shoveled my driveway last snowstorm told me and apparently what’s in fashion was what my generation wore at their age in 2003, which is fucking frightening.
I walked into Old Navy the other day and it was like the designers had raided my closet circa 1998-2002.

There was a short spell in the early 2010s when pixie cuts were mainstream (think Emma Watson after Harry Potter), but it never caught on by gymnasts.

Last edited:
All the middle school and high schoolers I know are all about Crocs.

I agree totally that age is highlighted (although awkwardly).

I would like to add how much the competitors benefit from longer careers and changing coaching strategy away from callously pushing children for the benefits of adults.

I walked into Old Navy the other day and it was like the designers had raided my closet circa 1998-2002.
The Torrid website is like looking at Delilah’s catalogue back in '98. Especially with the white t-shirt under a spaghetti-strap floral dress with Doc Marten’s.
Oh my God! Memories! The Memories! Guilting of doing that myself to my baby sisters.
I have a headache just remembering the times that happened to me.

We have similar traditions here.

Reminds me of the kids first day of school

One of the other japanese gymnasts had short hair. Not sure which one.

At least it wouldn’t unravel before your side aerial!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back