2020 Rhythmic Gymnastics Individual (Q Friday 8/6/21 F Sat. 8/7/21) Group (Q Sat 8/7/21 F Sun 8/8/21)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Haha. Nastia has been asked before about commentating on rhythmic and I quote “it’s definitely different, I’m not sure I really understand it”.

British commentators, both BBC and Eurosport are the same people who do artistic and they don’t have a clue, same with trampoline, which should be a lot simpler for them

If you are use to winning, losing can come as a shock. Maybe with a little bit of time she can look at it all with more objectivity and see that it wasn’t some plot against her. Won’t help, though, if the people around her keep feeding the conspiracy theories. They need to be honest with her.

Mind this is assuming the judging was correct. I have absolutely no idea how any of this is scored. Rhythmic remains a mystery to me.

I didn’t watch the competition and wouldn’t have understood it if I had. Was the result legit?

Dina herself won with a drop in 2018–was it that same situation then about high difficulty making it possible?

For anyone who’s interested, here’s around how Ashram’s ribbon mistake affected her score:

Difficulty: No credit for the apparatus difficulty. That cost up to .4.

Execution: The deduction depends on how many steps she took to retrieve the apparatus. She probably lost .5.

So she lost up to .9. She had a one point lead after the third apparatus which was just enough to stay in first.

Thanks to those who are helping explain the result! Has Linoy Ashram just recently added difficulty to her routines? She dominated this competition after always being in the Averina shadows. She wasn’t even on the podium at this year’s Europeans. Yes she won by a small margin, but she counted a major error.

I’m looking at the D-scores now and see that Ashram and Dina Averina have such a massive D-score advantage over the field with the Ribbon. I wonder what elements actually cause that, I can’t figure it out just by watching. All of the routines of the top competitors look so similar. Is the D-score in Rhythmic subjective at all or is it easy to figure out?

Last edited:
I was mistaken about not being able to watch the group final. What a mess for Japan. I thought they could win but they really crumbled under pressure.

Can’t wait to see the follow-up articles with not!russia not winning for the first time ever.

Is it really the first time Russia/soviet union hasn’t won?

Spain won the inaugural group competition in 1996. Russia won all Olympic group competitions from 2000 to 2016. Lori Fung of Canada won in 1984. Otherwise all individual AA winners from 1988 - 2016 were from Russia, Ukraine, or Belarus.

Last edited:
Thanks @MaryClare and @JDB.

Linoy’s win is really interesting because as far as I can tell, she’s the first globally successful Israeli gymnast not to be from the former USSR originally and have got her start there. So I wonder if we’ll see more of that, and for the Israeli programmes to grow in strength.

No golds for Russia! Interesting to see what the fall out will be from this and how it will influence the next code of points…

I looked at the score breakdowns recently. The artistry judges must have been high the entire competition. They barely differentiated between any routines. I understand the technique judges don’t have enough time to see everything. But there’s no excuse for the artistry judges’ doing this.

If it’s anything like figure skating, it’s a ***king disgrace and an institutionalised way of holding up whomever. I hope AG never goes that route.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back