2024 Rhythmic Individuals and Group Qualifications and Finals (August 8-10, 2024)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Is the slicked up bun a required hairstyle?
Yes and no. It’s not specifically mandated, but a bun that extends your line from the top corner of your ear will make everything you do more aesthetically pleasing. Specifically it makes the neck appear longer

Yes and no. It’s not specifically mandated, but a bun that extends your line from the top corner of your ear will make everything you do more aesthetically pleasing. Specifically it makes the neck appear longer
they all look absolutely stunning

they all look absolutely stunning
A lot of people think that rhythmic gymnasts are all one body type. They aren’t, but it’s very difficult to execute the elements well if your lower body isn’t longer than your top half.

A lot of people think that rhythmic gymnasts are all one body type. They aren’t, but it’s very difficult to execute the elements well if your lower body isn’t longer than your top half.
Well there go my dreams. I'm an HSI test dummy Average man standing, average woman leg sitting, 95% man seated height. So my lower body isn't going to make anything look elongated. :p (also my inflexibility, inability to keep a beat, and fumblefingers... Yeah, guess the dream is gone.)

Yeah, the only sport that is in jeopardy for LA right now is boxing. Everything else has been confirmed including weightlifting and modern pentathlon.
Apparently LA might be the end of Modern Pentathalon. I saw this is the last year for horses and in LA they are going to be doing a ninja-warrior-like course (without horses) but that Brisbane hasn't said it will be there for 2032.

I'm not a boxing fan so if that one gets left out for something like pickleball, I'm cool with it.

Boxing is the only Olympic sport I refuse to watch.

I’m kinda looking forward to the obstacle course discipline in LA.

All my height is in my torso. It’s rarely noticed but my mother-in-law (same height) once sat next to me at a choir rehearsal and asked if she was on a child’s chair (primary school rehearsal venue).

I have a longer torso compared to legs too. Plus you have to start at a young age. My parents wouldn’t pay for anything like that. I’ve done a lot of things since then but never will be able to do that.

I never particularly liked rhythmic as a kid, I much preferred artistic. My artistic coach suggested I try it because I was scared of tumbling, flexible and half Russian. I was much better at it than AG, and could have probably competed at CWG level. But I was always injured and found the training extremely unenjoyable.

Regarding the future of RG in the Olympic programme:

Is it under serious threat? No. But many in the RG community will say that it has been under continued threat. Not from the IOC, but much more from the FIG.

The FIG hate RG. Medium to long term, they would like to see RG replaced with what they perceive to be more popular disciplines. For a long time the preferred candidate has been tumbling (the ioc won’t increase the number of medal events so it has to be something that only requires 2 events). But there is also a significant support for introducing men’s and women’s synchro trampolining, as it is felt that trampolining gets only a tiny number of participants. More recently, the FIG have been looking at parkour (inspired by the introduction of other street originated sports like skate boarding and break dancing).

All of this was for years only background noise. But the federations where the most support for RG comes from (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Bulgaria) have decreasing influence within the FIG compared with the past.

This Olympics has been a big test for RG. Would there be enough quality competitors with the absence of Russia and Belarus? I would say absolutely yes. But the past 2 years have seen a lot of yo-yoing amongst the top competitors. Whilst having more competition can be a good thing, I’m not sure that it is for RG. It’s a sport that needs a superstar.

2022 EC: Daria Atamanov
2022 WC: Sofia Raffaeli
2023 EC: Boryana Kaleyn
2023 WC: Daria Varfolomeev
2024 EC: Stiliana Nikolova
2024 OG: Daria Varfolomeev

Well, and the general perception that while the winner might be flying the flag of Germany or wherever, it sure looks like she is Russian (or Ukrainian or belorussian, etc) cuz well, that is the community where the sport is popular (even in their diaspora).

Well, and the general perception that while the winner might be flying the flag of Germany or wherever, it sure looks like she is Russian (or Ukrainian or belorussian, etc) cuz well, that is the community where the sport is popular (even in their diaspora).
She was born in Barnaul, Siberia.
As I mentioned, 14 of the 24 individual competitors are the daughters of mothers born in USSR.

Yulia Raskina is coaching in Germany. She coaches in Russian, since the majority of her students are Russian speakers

Three-time Olympic medalist Anastasia Bliznyuk coached China's group to its first gold in Rhythmic Gymnastics.

Yulia Raskina is coaching in Germany. She coaches in Russian, since the majority of her students are Russian speakers
I don't follow rhythmic, but I did watch that youtube series about Raskina, Varfolomeev, and Margarita Kolosov. Raskina spoke reasonably decent German and did interact with the girls (on camera at least) in German (although I got the definite sense that Varfolomeev wasn't 100% comfortable in German).

Hello.

And I've counted two Michael Jackson songs. Respect to the Ukrainian who fully leaned in and had a Thriller fit to go with her routine.
That was amazing. The claw-hands were a nice touch.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back