US Classic Senior Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

She would need to be top 2 to automatically qualify I believe. That seems like a tall order but I appreciate Carey’s gymnastics. My favorite event of hers is actually UB. It’s lovely what she has done

Leanne Wong - Balance Beam

Acro

1 x F (triple twist dismount)
3 x D (side aerial, aerial, side somi)

Total Acro DV - 1.8

Dance

1 x E (switch ring leap)
3 x D (split ring jump, full twisting wolf jump, side straddle jump 1/2)

Total Dance DV - 1.7

CV / Series Bonus

side aerial + layout stepout (D + C acro) = 0.2 CV

full turn with leg at horizontal + full turn (C turn + A turn) = 0.1 CV

aerial + split ring jump 1/2 (D + D mixed) = 0.2 CV

split leap + side somi + side straddle jump 1/2 (C + D + D, C + D mixed + D + D mixed) = 0.3 CV + 0.1 SB

round off + triple twist (B + F acro) = 0.2 CV

Total CV / SB = 1.1

CR

Dance Series - switch leap + straddle jump
Turn - full turn with leg at horizontal
Acro Series with Salto - side aerial + layout stepout
Acro Elements in Different Directions - layout stepout, aerial

Total D - 3.5 + 1.1 + 2.0 = 6.6

Downgrades

aerial + split ring jump
  • Connection broken by the pause between the two elements
full twisting wolf jump
  • Incomplete turn, credit as wolf jump 1/2
Total D - 3.4 + 0.9 + 2.0 = 6.3

Deductions

side aerial
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
layout stepout
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (landing posture / chest forward) 0.1^
full turn with leg at horizontal + full turn
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
aerial
  • (flexed foot) 0.1
  • (adjustment) 0.1^
ring jump
  • (body posture → forward leg below horizontal) 0.1
full twisting wolf jump
  • (lack of precision) 0.1
  • (balance adjustment) 0.1
split leap
  • (insufficient split → between 21 and 45 degrees) 0.3
side somi
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
side somi + side straddle jump 1/2
  • (poor rhythm of connection) 0.1
triple twist
  • (crossed legs) 0.1
  • (lack of precision) 0.1
  • (landed with feet apart) 0.1
  • (landing posture, landed in squat and with chest low and forward) 0.3
  • (hop on landing) 0.1
Total - 1.9 - 2.1

Artistry
  • (Insufficient complexity or creativity in the movements) 0.1
Total E - 7.8 - 8.0 / (-2.0 - 2.2)

I’m sure it did… but equally, there is plenty to envy about her position. If she can just manage a couple of months more training, those vaults she showed today mean that in Simone and Jade’s absence, the US would take her to worlds for that event, and she’d have a good chance of winning the gold. With no Simone, Jade currently planning to go to college, Ellie Downie not training at present and the other contenders all having to get through an Olympics first, the title is there for the taking. There are a number of gymnasts there last night who I expect would gladly swap places with Skinner to be in a position where ok, they aren’t going to make the Olympics, but will be a leading contender for a world title and a pretty much nailed on medallist if they just keep doing what they’re doing.

On other points, Lee’s clearly not going to be in Tokyo as an AAer. I have abandoned that hope now. So it’s all about the individual spot for her. Grace helped her case there just by getting through four events uninjured and without any major surprises- don’t reckon that bars fall was a particularly big deal or told us anything we didn’t already know. I’m full of joy and relief that Kara didn’t snap anything on Fong’s latest professionally negligent skill selection, and will celebrate every time she walks out of a competition all in one piece and every step she takes that gets her closer to leaving GAGE.

Lastly, do you all remember when we were riffing in September 2019 about the possibility of Chiles finishing 2nd at Trials and everyone wishing the US had given her a development spot at worlds at some point? Well here we are!

Last edited:
So I thought the following applied to beam too, but it’s just floor: Inappropriate gesture or facial expression (mimic). It’s definitely distracting and doesn’t contribute to the exercise.

If she can just manage a couple of months more training, those vaults she showed today mean that in Simone and Jade’s absence, the US would take her to worlds for that event, and she’d have a good chance of winning the gold.
Skinner is not going to train for Worlds. She and her husband have already bought a house in Utah and are moving in August. They both have a year of school to finish that they’ve already delayed for two years and plan to be back for start of term. I’d imagine the lease is also running out on their current apartment. She can’t stay in Arizona to train through October.

It’s not just a couple months more training, it’s also a couple months more of weekly painful shock treatments on both her ankles, training through the pain, and putting their lives further on hold just to go to a 4th Worlds. She already has two World team golds from 2015 + 2019. I realize this would be an individual gold but does that really matter to the rest of her life? She’s going to start popping out kids and no one she meets in Utah will care the difference between her current World golds being from a team she didn’t actually compete on or a gold she won herself. She’ll be former World Champion MyKayla Skinner (Harmer?) either way.

Yes, I’m aware she’s said she doesn’t want to. The point is though, being in a position where there is a worlds spot and medal there for the taking, perhaps gold, and to be able to decline that opportunity due to other priorities rather than not be offered it in the first place is better than plenty of the athletes who were there last night will achieve. There will be those who would love nothing more than to be in that place.

Tons of people on Reddit putting DiCello on their team after Classics lol

Reminds me of people putting Schennikova on their Worlds team after Classics that one time lol

DiCello has always been on lots of people’s teams from the moment she scored 14+ on floor at junior nationals. And this steady improvement is exactly what we’ve expected from a talented Hill’s gymnast. Now she’s scoring in the top tier on UB too, and she’s a junior Worlds medalist on beam and junior world champion on VT. This is not a Schennikova situation, lol

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back