Simone is out of the AA, VT, UB and FX

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’ve heard that Simone should be on the airplane back to Texas so that Skinner gets to “have her shot”.

I’m thinking Sunisa winning today might dampen down some of the criticism of Simone. Not all of it, obviously, but there seemed to be a lot of rah rah USA disappointment looking for a home over the past couple of days. People for whom one US gold medallist is as good as another, so as long as the winner is American, fine.

I think the whole PR narrative has been mismanaged. While Aimee Boorman has pretty much stayed 100% neutral on social media in the lead up to the games, I’m glad she took the time to give this interview this morning:

Basically there are different degrees of mental health issues just like there are physical injuries that athletes push through. Most importantly, the safety implications of competing gymnastics have been completely underscored in the original and primetime narrative.

He remains 100% useless, but he apparently posted something supportive to his private Facebook group. That helps no one really.

“They pulled threw with stars and stripes.”

This might be a new low for Tom.

He says they were trying to ‘follow the official rules for replacing an athlete after the competition started.’ I desperately hope he refers to putting Jordan on UB/BB and Suni on floor, because the alternative is unthinkable.

While I’m no Bieber fan for sure, I was glad he posted this because I remember during the Rio fluff how Simone was a huge fan and the Today Show hosts made sure they brought a cutout of her teenage crush to support her. Of course, everyone’s grown up, but I thought it was sweet so I’m glad she saw that.

That he thought they could replace Simone in the competing four with another athlete, presumably Jade or Mykayla. I suspect he probably is referring to the bars, beam and floor lineup changes and it’s just not clearly written, but this is Tom we’re talking about.

He can’t be that stupid surely? He must know that can only be done before prelims

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back