Simone Biles comeback: latest on US Classic Roster

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They said everyone who won a medal at worlds last time was 18 or 19 years old. None of the 16 or 17 year olds.

Individual medals. Skye Blakely and Sydney Turner won team medals and were both in their age 17 year.

If it’s credited as a 6.2 and Landi is standing on the podium, then it’s essentially a 5.7 and not worth it over the Cheng for AA/TF. And might not even be worth it over the Amanar for EF

The most obvious upgrade to Biles’ bars, for me, is a hop 1/1 in place of the giant 1/1. This is a .2 upgrade. The toe 1/1 + Fabrichnova would be sick but idk how worth it it is.

Weiler 1/2 + Maloney + hop 1/1 + P Tkachev + Pak DDDED .5
Van Leeuwen E
Toe 1/1 + DT 1/1 DD .1
EEDDDDDD 3.4 + 2.2 + .6 = 6.2

I don’t see anyone easily putting a hop 1/1 out of a Maloney, seems like unnecessary stress. I also feel like hop 1/1 should be considered a skill with flight but not eligible for the same bar release CR.

I hope they don’t think, “Well it’s clearly too dangerous. Let’s give the skill a lower value to disinsentivise it.” (Like the double-double off beam)

I guess we have to see if she keeps a spotter for one or both days of nationals. I default to "shecan do what makes her feel comfortable " but it was pretty clear that laurant wasn’t really needed once she got dialed in. So it might have just been a “i’m taking it carefully at this first comp back since it is basically meaningless” and she won’t use a spotter in the future.

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 4.22.08 PM

I think, even though hop 1/1 is not considered an element with flight, it still gets the .2 CV for D + C or more. She’s still got the piked Tkachev same bar release, which she can somewhat easily repeat if she were to miss the skill. But yeah, hop 1/1 might be ambitious, but my thinking is that if she can do a Tkachev out of a Maloney, she can potentially do the hop 1/1 too
@makam Landi said to GymCastic that he’s going to always spot whenever she does this vault. I think they’re planning it for Worlds at the moment

Last edited:
We will just have to wait until nationals( or maybe even worlds) to see if she will complete 2 vaults… maybe she will answer the question for us somewhere

I can’t imagine she won’t. We didn’t expect her to be at that last camp, let alone do AA or compete a YDP. She could probably start relearning her Lopez once she gets to Antwerp

I don’t know. Karmakar and Pena’s kamikaze Produnovas might have caused the FIG to want to disincentivize such vaults. Somebody crashing a YDP would not be pretty. Or we get a Samir Ait Said-type injury.

Or the FIG updating the parameters for eponymous skills with the caveat that the skill must be performed without spotting.

They are playing with fire a little bit with spotting. Simone can eat a half-point deduction; she can’t eat a 0.

Last edited:
But Simone Biles is not pulling her feet together after a big step. She continues to be off balance and steps backwards again.
Yes, she doesn’t bring the free foot next to the first foot and instead steps past it, thank you. I already felt my deduction on the dismount may have been generous because technically she has 3 form issues (legs apart, flexed feet, feet apart landing) but I only took 2 of them.

On the opening series there are two adjustments to look at. She lands Switch 1/2 with the left foot partially sideways and has to bring it back to cross position, while having a minor balance check. On the back pike there is a foot slide backward, similar cases have been labeled as a deduction in brevet testing. I would honestly try to look past it if possible, but after two adjustments in a row one of them has to be taken.

I don’t think the FIG are going to permit spotting. They won’t want it becoming a thing, and they would have a legit point in that if a vault requires spotting, it’s not safe enough to be performed in competition

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back