Simone Biles comeback: latest on US Classic Roster

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I though in previous codes a coach on podium for vault was an automatic 0. Is this my imagination or when did it change to a deduction?

Laurent can continue to spot during domestic meets, I doubt it would happen at Worlds. Too risky.
The term “spotting assistance during vault” is too vague. It doesn’t say “contact”.

Who is to say that FIG won’t deem the vault a zero, as was noted above, they don’t want vault spotting to become a thing.

It seems that the FIG makes a distinction between having a spotter present:
IMG_7745

And spotting assistance.
IMG_7744

They aren’t the same thing.

But of course if safety is an issue a spotter present would rather take a deduction than have someone hurt.

I just hope USAG makes sure they know what “spotting assistance” means with FIG before Simone gets a spot from Laurent.

Clarifying before competition makes sense.

We also know what the FIG did to the double double off beam.

They also banned Radiviolv’s triple front for safety.

FIG could determine the YDP is not safe enough if it requires a spotter and ban it or devalue it significantly.

This logic would be infuriating given the allowances provided for uneven bars. Doesnt it seem likely – despite that actual data probably dont exist – that vault is the most injurious of all apparatus?

Any attempt to bake in the subjective experience of a single gymnast into the difficulty evaluation of a newly codified skill would reek of bias.

On bars, a spotter can actually break a fall. What could a spotter do on vault? Do you think Laurent is going to catch Simone and safely put her on her feet. Even someone as small as Simone is generating extremely high forces. Laurent doesn’t stand a chance. I’m guessing he’s standing there because she feels more confident…so a purely psychological spot.

Yes, if someone falls on a new skill it shouldn’t be decided that the new skill is innately too dangerous. That just doesn’t make sense.

I agree with @ruby about the actual ability of spotters to prevent crashes. I mean, I don’t know a thing about how a YDP is spotted, but the physics of it don’t make sense to me. From the Gymcastic snippet it sounds like Laurent feels he needs to be there and won’t be talked out of it, which I respect.

I would certainly encourage allowing spotters to be present if it actually makes things safer but I would worry that it would just embolden people to do things they can’t. Vault already has that problem and has been in a weird cycle of big injuries, vaults that look fine but broke feet or ankles, and the best in the world having weird issues (Simone, Rebeca, Jade) and failing a vault but thankfully walking away.

LOL, and you were so snippy about it earlier when I said it!
I wasn’t meaning to be snippy, I think you read into that.
Sorry if it came across that way.

I just didn’t think Simone would take the deduction at Worlds, plus the wording from the invalid vault description was in my brain and thought it would take a 0 at Worlds.

I still think the Worlds situation is tricky. They need reassurance from FIG that Biles getting a spot for vault will be fine and just .5, FIG could easily come up with something and go the invalid vault ruling, or simply say they won’t value the vault because it is too dangerous and needs a spotter.

Last edited:
I would certainly encourage allowing spotters to be present if it actually makes things safer but I would worry that it would just embolden people to do things they can’t. Vault already has that problem and has been in a weird cycle of big injuries, vaults that look fine but broke feet or ankles, and the best in the world having weird issues (Simone, Rebeca, Jade) and failing a vault but thankfully walking away.
I can’t remember EVER seeing an elite, level 10, and NCAA competition where a coach spotted a gymnast on vault in competition. During warm ups and one touch, yes.

I could be wrong and it has happened before. I have been watching faithfully since 1992 often got tapes through the GTTC before the invent of YouTube.

I hear what you are saying but honestly the reality is that all vaults are inherently dangerous and frankly anything can happen in the blink of an eye. You could have competed a vault hundreds of times and then whammy- something goes wrong. I am all for having coaches up on podium and able to step in if necessary. Lives are worth it IMHO. (I also think it should be a rule that springboards MUST be pulled after beam mounts- that literally makes me crazy to see them not pulled and I can’t even watch the routine Im so obsessed with worrying about it!)

I think front handsprings are dangerous. There’s a reason why I was a headcase on vault. The nice thing about high school gymnastics was that we were allowed to have a coach right there.

Last edited:

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back