Simone Biles comeback: latest on US Classic Roster

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes.

(Well, she could do a front or a side entry vault, but she’s never trained those I assume.)

That would be cool, and I am surprised we have never seen one of those.

can’t remember who but there was a Soviet who nearly did a standing layout on beam

So, I’m struggling to understand how USAG assigned a .5 neutral deduction for Simone’s vault spot by Laurent.

The COP specifically stated that a vault that received spotting assistance will be assigned an automatic 0.0

Hopefully Laurent and Simone know this.

Gymcastic stated that Laurent said that he will spot Simone on all YDP and that it was his decision to ensure safety.

IMG_9285

weird… does USAG use a different code? Or if the vault is not yet in the CoP, are USAG deducting -0.5?? They didn’t do it in 2021… I’m perplexed

Is the vault valued correctly? I read some chatter on Twitter that ie a 6.2 and not a 6.4 too.

Is the vault valued correctly? I read some chatter on Twitter that ie a 6.2 and not a 6.4 too.
So it was assumed that if would be 6.2 since it was given a 6.6 last year.

However, FIG is giving it a 6.4 and giving the tuck version a 6.0.
They felt 5.8 for a Yurchenko Double Tuck was not sufficient value considering the Cheng is 5.6

This was stated on Gymcastic. So I don’t have actual documentation.

weird… does USAG use a different code? Or if the vault is not yet in the CoP, are USAG deducting -0.5?? They didn’t do it in 2021… I’m perplexed
Specifically for Biles, Laurent wasn’t on the podium at the 2021 U.S. Classic. Here, she received a 0.5 neutral deduction for unauthorized presence of a spotter and 0.1 for stepping outside of the corridor.

Here, she received a 0.5 neutral deduction for unauthorized presence of a spotter and 0.1 for stepping outside of the corridor.
But in the description for an Invalid vault it states spotting assistance as an example of a 0.0 vault.

that’s what I thought but then Rich showed there’s nothing in the CoP that specifies this

@tsarinajen USAG is submitting the YDP as a 6.4 but the FIG will probably recognize it as a 6.2. Unless Rich is right, but I have no idea where Gymcastic would be getting that info

I believe actual contact/assist has to occur for a gymnast to receive a 0, and not just for having a spotter pr
Hopefully USAG/Sacramone check in with the judges at Worlds to ensure it is clear the vault won’t get a zero if Laurent spots Biles’ YDP.

I doubt they would do it at Worlds but who knows.

I assume that if it is going so badly wrong that he has to actually spot her, they’ll take the L in exchange for safety. Maybe the Cheng will be her first vault so she gets a counting score and the YDP/Biles2 the second, see-how-it-goes one. At least until she gets more comfortable with it.

Per the Help Desk, spotting seems to be more formally defined as when actual assistance or contact is made. Also, if a 0.00 is given for spotting, the 0.5 neutral deduction for unauthorized presence of a spotter does not apply, so it looks like what Laurent is doing should be fine. However, yes, it should also be confirmed with the WTC.

Last edited:
Per the Help Desk, if a 0.00 is given for spotting, the 0.5 neutral deduction for unauthorized presence of a spotter does not apply, so it looks like what Laurent is doing should be fine. However, yes, it should also be confirmed with the WTC.
Thank you.

And yes, it wouldn’t be the first time USAG incorrectly interpreted the CoP. “Spotting assistance during the vault” is vague IMO.

I can see Laurent spotting Biles through the domestic meets because she can easily absorb a .5 ND and still have the highest vault score dur to the 6.4 value.

Last edited:
I’m going to say winning the medals she should’ve had in 2021. And I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s keeping double pikes off beam and bars serviceable now too, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Actually after I posted I watched a post meet interview of her and she said basically that, that she thought it was obvious that since she had to drop out of five EFs, she had unfinished business (paraphrase). So I don’t really expect to see her push the difficulty that much this time around.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back