Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Russian gymnasts were just in Belarus this week (?), I believe. Melnikova wasn’t there. Doug would be pleased to know Urazova downgraded her vault. Gerasimova was vaulting so I guess her knee injury wasn’t catastrophic. I’ve seen a couple videos up on YouTube.

Our feelings don’t really count here, but I would expect Russia back next year. It’s a qualifying year for the Olympics. The winter sports might be different though. Mary Clare, are you hearing anything about the figure skaters expecting to be at Worlds in March? I know they’re not in the Grand Prix series.

I just cannot see how the sporting bodies can allow them back unless the situation between Russia and Ukraine materially changes. It makes a mockery of the 2022 ban if nothing changes and they unban them for 2023.

Russia’s not going to be allowed to compete even if this war ends before season’s end. WADA noncompliance the the Valieva fiasco killed any chance of an early return.

Wasn’t Russia using the “protected person” status as per why they weren’t going to publicly disclose? Isn’t that within WADA’s own rules? Would transparency be better? Perhaps. I believe their argument is she’s a protected person, it shouldn’t have been public anyway.

Based on Trusova’s “issues” and Scherbakova’s off ice commitments, I don’t think they’re expecting to go to Worlds this season anyway. Valieva looks mostly ready to go if it happens, the Empress most likely has a good shot too.

And FYI, Valieva did drop the voiceovers out of the beginning of her long program for her two events at the Russian Grand Prix series.

Doug, we’ll see what the different sporting bodies do. Ovechkin (hockey) is playing. He’s technically on an American hockey team, but he’s playing . The World Cup of Hockey is supposed to come back in 2024, but as of now, Russia won’t be there. We’ll have to see what the FIG does – or ultimately the IOC decides.

I just don’t understand the whole ban situation, but yes, what doug said. If you go the route, then surely you have to hold your ground?

Many governing body presidents aren’t interested in holding ground. That’s why I bring Putin’s best friend at the IJF allowing Russians and Belarusians to compete in June. And Watanabe certainly doesn’t care about Ukrainians’ interests.

The thing about figure skating is because Russia wasn’t at figure skating worlds earlier this year they technically don’t have any spots for worlds coming up. I don’t know how you would reintroduce them into the system.

And didn’t you have to have a full team at Euros for gymnastics this year to have a team there next year? And finishing at a certain place is what gets your team into Worlds? And you have to finish top 9 of current unqualified teams at worlds next year to make the Olympics?

Last edited:
Euros served as a qualification for worlds and will again next year but I don’t believe there’s any qualification criteria to compete at euros, as it’s typically undersubscribed

@JDB i think there is widespread misunderstanding regarding the sports ban. The purpose is political, not athlete welfare. It’s not there so that Ukrainians don’t have to complete alongside Russians. It’s there to punish Putin and send a message but it hasn’t worked. If anything it’s allowed him to say “I was right about the west” etc.

Putin could cease all military activity in Ukraine tomorrow, but it’s not going to change how Ukrainian athletes feel about competing alongside Russians. Just look at the reaction this weekend between Turkish and Armenian gymnasts and that was something that happened over 100 years ago.

@ArnoldRimmer he was S14

Last edited:
I’m aware any attempts to punish Russia are doomed to fail.

People from enemy states compete at international events because those countries are committed to good sportsmanship. Russia is one of very few countries who is not. The IPC was planning to allow Russians and Belarusians to compete, but reneged when numerous countries threatened to boycott/not compete against Russians. The rest of the world wanted a safe and cooperative Paralympic environment.

Russian institutions reward pro-war behavior. The invasion is affecting Ukrainians’ training conditions and travel as is. So they’re reasonable to avoid the looming threat of harassment from their oppressors at competitions. Russia’s lack of systemic sports reform is an internal problem and no other country’s burden to bear.

Yes whilst some of what you say is correct, none of that is relevant to the ban. It’s just the emotions you feel about the ban and the whole situation.

It is also prudent to remember that whilst this is seemingly very emotive for gymnastics fans due to the prominence of Russia/Ukraine/USSR in the sport, for sport as a whole, it’s not as prominent an issue

Regarding Russians playing professional club sport in other countries:

This is very different from the Russian national team. Most countries have laws that prevent workplace discrimination based on nationality or political views etc. You cannot sack an employee for being Russian, nor treat them differently.

What government could choose to do would be to revoke the visas and work permits of Russian nationals employed as professional athletes. Just as they have with some business people. My husband’s UK visa has been revoked

Last edited:
The more I hear of Russian official and unofficial statements or see Nagorny showing his medals and posturing or other similar things the less inclined I am to want Russians back in competition. The longer Russia continues this war the more it hurts everyone.

I hate to break it to you, but Nagorny has always been this unbearable!

But this illustrates the point I am trying to make. Too many people think the ban exists to punish people they don’t like

I don’t care what those people think.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back