FIG ends ban on Russia and Belarus gymnasts (effective January 1, 2024)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Rich, you don't honestly believe Russia is the only nation to have ever violated the Olympic Truce, do you? The USA actually refused to sign the Truce in 2022, and was engaged in war with Iraq during the Athens Games, just one of the many undeclared wars the US has perpetuated while sending athletes to compete at the Games. Russia is, by no means, unique in this regard.
I believe the Olympic truce requires that countries not start a war during the Olympics. They can be at war. Which is ludicrous and meaningless on the one hand, but enforceable on the other.

I believe the Olympic truce requires that countries not start a war during the Olympics. They can be at war. Which is ludicrous and meaningless on the one hand, but enforceable on the other.
More practical than requiring an actual truce, at least. And it's not a high bar to meet.

well with doping last olympics should have had them banned and that would have been normal. I dont think all banned means it should have asterix. Maybe in your mind but I will find this olympics great. Other russian atheletes still have a path to qualifying. There was a huge debate in the past where olympics were only for amateurs so every olympics with the soviets should have had an asterix as well as with other communist countries

There was a huge debate in the past where olympics were only for amateurs so every olympics with the soviets should have had an asterix as well as with other communist countries
Why? Athletes in the USSR were not salaried as they are in Russia today. Every country used numerous loopholes to maintain athletes amateur status.

in the UK, Torvil and Dean were employees of the local county council’s sport and leisure department so that they could be paid to train.

Reactions: Bob
I think it's different because USA chose not to attend the 1980 Olympics and the Soviet Union chose not to attend the 1984 Olympics. They weren't the only countries to do so. Boycotts are a choice, being banned is not, even if the decisions that are made that cause a ban are a choice. All Russia had to do was not start a war in between the 2022 Olympics and 2022 Paralympics because it's clear that the IOC didn't care enough to do something meaningful about the doping.

Last edited:
I think it's different because USA chose not to attend the 1980 Olympics and the Soviet Union chose not to attend the 1984 Olympics. They weren't the only countries to do so. Boycotts are a choice, being banned is not, even if the decisions that are made that cause a ban are a choice. All Russia had to do was not start a war in between the 2022 Olympics and 2022 Paralympics because it's clear that the IOC didn't care enough to do something meaningful about the doping.
Yep. And I understand the argument about bans punishing athletes and maybe being counterproductive etc, there is at least a discussion to be had there. But the fact that Russia has engaged in Olympic specific misbehaviour means the double standard stuff won't wash.

Seems like Putin is gunning for the title of Biggest Dickhead. He could have waited a few days and spared his athletes this, and still had his stupid shitty war.
Ha.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if it did not occur to Putin that the Paralympics actually counts. Genuinely.

Western media, even prior to February 2022, always focuses on Putin is a bad man. But they never mention just how incompetent the whole government is.

Ha.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if it did not occur to Putin that the Paralympics actually counts. Genuinely.

Western media, even prior to February 2022, always focuses on Putin is a bad man. But they never mention just how incompetent the whole government is.
That's a really interesting point. There's been a lot speculated about Putin waiting until the Winter Olympics had finished as a favour to Xi Jinping and the regime, but the question of the Paralympics never seems to be addressed.

Ha.

I can't decide if this is hilarious or tragic.

Let's be real, it doesn't occur to the USA either. NBC, its offshoot channels, and all affiliates are at a standstill for two weeks in deference to showing constant Olympics coverage, but as soon as the Olympics are over, they're back to normal. The Paralympics get nowhere near the same amount of coverage. Which is kind of ridiculous because the Olympics and Paralympics happen during summer and winter hiatuses. And the Paralympics will certainly get screwed next year because the 2023/24 TV season got borked due to the Hollywood strikes, so NBC will be very eager to get to fall premiere season.

Oscar Pistorius gave the Paralympics the spotlight for like five minutes but...yeah...

Let's be real, it doesn't occur to the USA either. NBC, its offshoot channels, and all affiliates are at a standstill for two weeks in deference to showing constant Olympics coverage, but as soon as the Olympics are over, they're back to normal. The Paralympics get nowhere near the same amount of coverage. Which is kind of ridiculous because the Olympics and Paralympics happen during summer and winter hiatuses. And the Paralympics will certainly get screwed next year because the 2023/24 TV season got borked due to the Hollywood strikes, so NBC will be very eager to get to fall premiere season.

Oscar Pistorius gave the Paralympics the spotlight for like five minutes but...yeah...
Well yes, but you’d think it would be of slightly more relevance if the US was planning on breaking the Olympic truce by invading Canada

Putin should've checked with a Brit, we actually like the Paralympics. Although it was the snow one, so maybe not.

Plus, if he was bothered, maybe he'd assumed the IOC would do the same fuck all as they did in 2008 and 2014. Granted, 2014 would've been a bit complex seeing as how they were in Sochi.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back