Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m not obsessed with Ilia Kovtun. I don’t know much about him. But I try to empathize with people from other countries, which is why I wrote my last few comments. Russians would benefit from trying that more often.

Last edited:
“Here is the first victory at the World team championship. And now we don’t have the title. Now China is in the first place, Japan is second, the UK is third. What I want to say. International gymnastics association, if you need someone to be in the first place, call us. We are ready”

Никита Нагорный shared a post on Instagram: Ну вы поняли…. Follow their account to see 946 posts.

Last edited:
It’s disgusting and also, I don’t even get it. The FIG actually has someone in first place? It’s China?

I wouldn’t say it’s “disgusting”. I think a bigger deal is being made because of who said it. I think if Melnikova or one of the women said something similar we would say it’s bitchy, unsportsmanlike and lacks class etc. Nikita (and Daria) are pretty horrendous and stereotypical of young rich people here. But they were like that long before any recent geopolitical developments.

It’s especially audacious coming from Nagornyy.

Melnikova is the majority of people here. Nagorny is not (although he probably is 99% of over privileged, 20 something, Moscow brats)
It’s hilarious that he thought waving his gold medal around in front of a TV showing GBR celebrating their bronze would be received well by the international gymnastics community!

I enjoy the way it highlights that the primary beneficiary of Russia getting banned in MAG are a team from a country who’ve been sending Ukraine weapons.

Agree on Melnikova’s response, measured and well expressed.

I loved. LOVED seeing the Russian men win team gold in Tokyo. Their enthusiasm and excitement was so palpable. I’m also missing their gymnastics. But I’m not mad about their exclusion and baffled a little bit by their response and kind of abhorred by it but also laughing

Seems like all of the mens team is sharing the same thing.
Belyavskiy never seemed like the brightest crayon in the box, but this takes it to another level of stupidity.
Comparing the 2022 World Team Final Results to 2019 World Team Final Results is share idiocy.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back