FIG ends ban on Russia and Belarus gymnasts (effective January 1, 2024)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I remember his judo obsession, and the seemingly miraculous ability of people from his St. Petersburg judo club to find themselves in important offices and/or turn into millionaires, being a hot topic of conversation way back in grad school.
It’s a running joke in our household. A few weeks ago, Match Arena had an evening of alternating between Judo re runs and Rhythmic re runs. To which my husband said “Oh, Vlad and Alina must be having a night in front of the TV”

I don’t understand what differentiates this war from others that warranted the ban to begin with.

The IOC’s E board is interesting. All members are from Europe or countries that faced/still face European colonialism. Which, of course, is much of the world… but still

I don’t understand what differentiates this war from others that warranted the ban to begin with.

The IOC’s E board is interesting. All members are from Europe or countries that faced/still face European colonialism. Which, of course, is much of the world… but still
Imagine the American outrage if the US had been banned from competition after they invaded Iraq. I don’t support the war in Ukraine, but Americans losing their shit over Russia’s invasion is the pot calling the kettle black. Of course, one of those countries is European and the other is middle Eastern, and we know whose lives are considered more valuable here in the West.

exactly this. The hypocrisy is increasingly transparent. I don’t support Russia’s war on Ukraine either but the IOC is so choosy in their decision-making that it makes me frustrated.

How ludicrous is it that the IOC banned Afghanistan in 2000 because the Taliban prevented/prevents women from playing sports, and yet the USA has never once been banned for bombing those same women?

Judo is Putin’s second favorite sport after Sambo. He was International Judo Federation honorary president, rescinded after the invasion began.

Imagine the American outrage if the US had been banned from competition after they invaded Iraq. I don’t support the war in Ukraine, but Americans losing their shit over Russia’s invasion is the pot calling the kettle black. Of course, one of those countries is European and the other is middle Eastern, and we know whose lives are considered more valuable here in the West.
THANK YOU, I’ve been waiting a year and a half for someone to say that. It is interesting, isn’t it, even in the current context, nobody thinks about that 2003 gold medal in a different light. I recognise that there is no point in re-litigating the past, but I do think it’s important to be mindful that there’s no clear line between legitimate and illegitimate foreign military operations, and that Russia isn’t the only country engaging in questionable operations. (Unless you’re of the mind that it’s all illegitimate. Which would make for a much smaller Olympics.)

Personally, I’m not that upset about the ban, but it’s more because I’m fed up with the doping shenanigans. I realise that the two aren’t related, but I’m alright with the federation getting a time out.

THANK YOU, I’ve been waiting a year and a half for someone to say that. It is interesting, isn’t it, even in the current context, nobody thinks about that 2003 gold medal in a different light. I recognise that there is no point in re-litigating the past, but I do think it’s important to be mindful that there’s no clear line between legitimate and illegitimate foreign military operations, and that Russia isn’t the only country engaging in questionable operations. (Unless you’re of the mind that it’s all illegitimate. Which would make for a much smaller Olympics.)

Personally, I’m not that upset about the ban, but it’s more because I’m fed up with the doping shenanigans. I realise that the two aren’t related, but I’m alright with the federation getting a time out.
I agree but a us ban would make the olympics costly in terms of sponsorship. The Us would boycott any companies etc. A russian ban does not change corporate sponsorship at all. Probably just the money russia pays the olympic committee under the table as all lobbying goes.

I agree but a us ban would make the olympics costly in terms of sponsorship. The Us would boycott any companies etc. A russian ban does not change corporate sponsorship at all. Probably just the money russia pays the olympic committee under the table as all lobbying goes.
Someone noted on Twitter today that while Belarus has been suspended for supporting Russia, the US has faced zero consequences for supporting Israel. There is clearly more than concern for human rights at play.

Someone noted on Twitter today that while Belarus has been suspended for supporting Russia, the US has faced zero consequences for supporting Israel. There is clearly more than concern for human rights at play.
Over a year ago I invoked Israel’s siege on Gaza on this board but was told by mods that the situations aren’t comparable and that it shouldn’t be brought up again for lack of relevance. I wonder if this is still the case. I’ve been afraid to say anything on this board, but you’ve brought it up, Sasha. If Russia is banned, then so too should Israel be banned, the US should be banned for its looting in the Congo and genocide, etc. As you said above, I am one of those people who is of the mind that “foreign military operations” are all illegitimate. I’m glad you are speaking up on this. Too often I feel like we’re being trolled about which conflicts are “just.” “Gaslighting” isn’t a strong enough term

Reactions: Bob
I’m tired of being the bad guy but here it is: No more discussions of events and actions that don’t pertain to the ban of Russia and Belarus. You are in off-topic territory. Take your complaints to Twitter.

No more discussions of events and actions that don’t pertain to the ban of Russia and Belarus.
And to be more specific, about the gymnasts (which is clear in the thread title).

Last edited:
We will have a dual meet against China, in Kazan next week. The RGF has been trying to arrange this for some time. It will be a full competition of team, all around and event finals. At the moment, I think it’s only junior men but that could change
IMG_4514

Just went on a deep dive, I had no idea Kitai was the Russian word for China, and that it was related to Cathay, which I also had no idea was related to China.

Just went on a deep dive, I had no idea Kitai was the Russian word for China, and that it was related to Cathay, which I also had no idea was related to China.
Huh, TIL. I know Cathay from Cathay Pacific. Good airline, always had as much an enjoyable experience as one can when crammed into a flying tin can with a few hundred other strangers for 15 hours.

The results of the all around. Junior women and junior men

The Russian names are
Ludmilla Roschina
Anna Kalmykova

Arseniy Duzhno
Matvei Akinshin
IMG_4572

IMG_4573

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads