Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I mean, Kim Kelly performed consistently strong at domestic meets that would get her international assignments, including a Worlds, where she would then implode. Skye's gymnastics is leagues and galaxies better and more pleasing to watch, but she's shown that Bowgate wasn't a one-off. She should have absolutely taken any and every international assignment they'd give her, but instead we have a 25% hit rate to go off of. If she does show up with a Cheng and other serious upgrades, TPTB will have to play a game of craps essentially. Do they take her and bet on her being able to hit her untested upgrades when nothing is backing her up saying that she could or do they put her as an alternate and go with Jade and Kayla?

It's not about what WE would do. Recent selections have shown TPTB doesn't care how the athletes have previously performed at Worlds. What I am saying is that Skye performs like she did last year and is 3rd or 4th AA, they are probably going to take her.

It's not about what WE would do. Recent selections have shown TPTB doesn't care how the athletes have previously performed at Worlds. What I am saying is that Skye performs like she did last year and is 3rd or 4th AA, they are probably going to take her.
This is exactly what I mean. Whether I'd take her is a different story, but I don't think team selectors are doing the math in the way that we do as fans. And of course I also don't think there's any chance at all that she's brought just for beam, but she's certainly capable of a top 3 AA finish over the course of the summer season if things go her way. Then you would build the team around her, Biles, and presumably Jones, in which case you have bars covered and just need a vaulter (who probably has a good FX) and a back-up on beam and floor. Not saying that this is what will happen, but I think it's a strong possibility, and the fact that she's only hit 25% of beam routines she's done at Worlds would not affect this outcome at all.

We likely won't hear anything until tomorrow at the earliest.
I hope we don't hear anything for a few days, unless there's an injury that wasn't obvious. At this point, take some time. Process. Talk to people in different parts of your life.

I know Konnor breaks if she looks at the equipment wrong, but seriously. What is wrong with LSU's training that they have so many Achilles issues?

I just know that Gabby looked completely destroyed after her routine and she looked like she was desperately trying to hide from the cameras. If I need my space to reflect/cry it out/reset my mind and people are all around me pressuring me it usually leads to a full panic attack. People used to question why my coach and teammates only provided a few minor encouraging words and didn't gather to comfort me after a bad routine and I had to explain that they were respecting my boundaries. I know nothing about Gabby's mental health, though, and speak only for myself.

It isn't beyond the bounds of probability that TPTB simply go Top 5 AA at Trials. Or Top 4 AA and a bar worker.
I think that is in part because the top four AA gymnasts are proven competitors and cover most of the events very well. Jordan doesn't have stand out events but she is solid enough on bars, beam and floor that it wouldn't be terrible to use her on those events in team final.

Proponents of the "highest scoring team" model will be upset if Kaliya or Tiana are not taken for floor but I don't think .1-.2 on floor is worth it because you do not want to use them on other events.

I hope she competes at Nationals at least, assuming she's not hurt. She said she wanted to end her career on her own terms, and it's hard to imagine that a 10 on bars would really satisfy that goal (assuming she was/is planning to re-retire after this summer).

"No matter what"
Why?????
She needs to earn it like everyone else.

I'm being serious when I say this: The past three Olympic AA champions competing at trials will be a ratings bonanza. And that will provide more ad revenue for NBC. And that will improve value provided to NBCUniversal's shareholders. And there is nothing more important in America than improving shareholder value.

In other words, she should earn a spot through her fame IMO.

I'm being serious when I say this: The past three Olympic AA champions competing at trials will be a ratings bonanza. And that will provide more ad revenue for NBC. And that will improve value provided to NBCUniversal's shareholders. And there is nothing more important in America than improving shareholder value.

In other words, she should earn a spot through her fame IMO.
i don’t disagree with this assertion that it is in the best interest of NBC, but gone are the days when there would be any sway from outside organizations. The Steve Penny days are over.

I would hate for Gabby to end her career like that. I hope she shows back up to Nationals and shows something so she can end on better terms.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back