Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Reportedly, they left earlier and so are in Hartford. But that could just be people saying stuff on social media.

Glad that most of them made it. Imagine having your game thrown off by flight delays at such a crucial competition.

@Laura722, I assume PT is only available on FlipNow?

Yeah, that's standard for PT. He's helping her learn the timing on the podium.

Both Douglas and Jones showed nice double layouts today, but I'm wondering where they'll go in their routines. Douglas also apparently tried a front full to full-in -- was that just for giggles or is she going to try it? If she's that comfortable with the full-in now, I'd say she should open with her front full to double back, then double layout and full-in dismount. But who knows...

Jones downgraded her front full to double back to just a front tuck through, but again, I wonder if that's actually what she's going to compete. If so, then she'll do double double, double layout, and front to double back.

She needs a lot of spotting

Does she really though? I don't think anything Valeri did changed the inherent momentum of what she was already accomplishing. At her last competition during podium training she didn't get through a full routine cleanly. Now she has. That's definite progress.

I'm genuinely curious how is it one can improve so much in such a short period. It's almost like it's a different gymnast, granted she has to hit tomorrow but she's looking pretty good.

Could also be related to covid recovery. We don't know how impacted she was by recent illness last time. It's quite conceivable that the extra few weeks made all the difference there.

Plus, Gabby has quite the record for quick and substantial improvement when things hot up!

Gabby has showed an ability to quickly improve in the past. I think she took it easy before and now she’s gearing up.

Gabby has showed an ability to quickly improve in the past. I think she took it easy before and now she’s gearing up.
Not quite the same, but I always loved how Serena Williams was often able to level up her playing as a tournament progressed.

It's a lovely bars routine! But what is that a 5.9 D score? Even a perfect hit she can still get beat by Shilese, Skye, Simone, and (potentially) Suni. Not exactly her ticket to Paris.

But... that's totally OK! We can normalize an olympian's epic comeback in which not making the olympics isn't failure. Weeee!!!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back