Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If she shows up to Nationals and only hits 2 UB routines and wins UB, think she gets an invite to trials? I hope she regroups and comes back fighting.

I just hope Gabby is going to be okay emotionally and mentally. I don't know if she is going to feel up to it, but I would love to see her compete the 3 events at Nationals.
Which three events is she qualified for? Vault, beam and?

If she shows up to Nationals and only hits 2 UB routines and wins UB, think she gets an invite to trials? I hope she regroups and comes back fighting.
I need to see her keep fighting. She has to take the Stalder 1/1 out, it's not working. Even if she doesn't totally blow it, .3 angle deduction kills the skill value. She's at 6.2D with just a regular Stalder and she should be capable of 8.6E+ on that routine. Her path to the Olympics is still alive if she's scoring #2 in the country on Bars. If she really has been able to do Chengs onto regular mats in training, then I hope she goes for broke and tries that too. It would be hilarious if she outscores Jade on vault (who is now getting correctly scored on her wonky Cheng).

I want her to do well at nationals but I also hope she and the people around her are honest to themselves about her shortcomings. Namely that she left it too late, she is simply out of time but she is not that far from being competitive. I'd love to see her aim for simply getting an Olympic trials invite, then recalibrate and make sure she's ready to go at the start of the new year with a more solid UB and better skill selection across BB and FX. If this comeback is really about enjoying the final stages of her career, training for like 20 months then giving up after 5 routines is not it.

So according to this thread, we got our first confirmation that she was back in training in October 2022 - 19 months ago. We don't know how much earlier she actually began training, but I didn't anticipate that she wouldn't have enough time to get into full routine shape. Which makes me wonder, what is a reasonable timeline for going from zero to competition ready?

I think it depends on muscle memory and general fitness. Maybe some mental aspects like motivation too.

Her stuff has such a beautiful quality. I hope we get to see her again, and I hope she gets to go out on a high note whenever that may be. Definitely a huge difference in the quality of gymnastics from Gabby, Shilese, and Suni as compared to the rest. Simone is the best, but besides vault and some tumbling passes, she lacks that same quality.

I agree with 2025 Worlds as a new goal. She could clean up because I bet a lot of athletes will retire or take a year off.

I agree with 2025 Worlds as a new goal. She could clean up because I bet a lot of athletes will retire or take a year off.
And lets be frank, there isn't anyone on the junior team who is really shining and the younger seniors also haven't been amazing. Caylor has made some amazing improvements in a year but every one else is sort of stagnantly okayish. Sumanasekera, Hang, Zeiss...no one is showing they are ready for the next quad.

Several of the "younger" seniors are headed to NCAA in the fall, not that they can't do both, as we have seen, but the field is potentially more open, especially in an individuals only Worlds.

Caylor, Neal, Hang, Lincoln are doing well.
There is just so much depth in elite right now. You have 4/6 Tokyo Olympians still competing, multiple World medalists competing (Blakely, Wong, DiCello, Jones, Roberson, Zeiss- all World Champions with the team).
While Zeiss is likely out due to coming back from injury, you have 10 World gold medalists/Olympians competing).
That is huge depth and never seen before in the US.

There is just so much high level competition it is hard to break through.

There are going to be talented US athletes that have represented US internationally that might not even make Trials.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back