Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What does this even mean?
There’s nothing confusing about what I said. Every skill has an expectation about what constitutes a “deduction-free” version. The skill in question should be seen as meeting the requirements; it was executed better than anyone else has for that rhythm of connection. It’s a fully clean version of that skill.
Nastia Liukin’s vault in Olympic AA finals was done far better than could have been expected
No it wasn’t, she got less height than is expected of a deduction-free vault. Seeing as vaulting has no connections and no application other than the singular purpose of trying to fly off the table, the expectation for a vault never changes.
Deductions are clearly delineated in the COP about amplitude.
They aren’t. The majority of skills have no specification about what actually constitutes a .1 or .3 lack of amplitude.

Yeah. There’s at least 2 threads on the go at the moment where this poster is just spouting absolute rubbish

I feel like I’m talking to that nonsense blog GymTruthTeller or something.
OMG I remember that blog, they used to take shots at me like every other week when I was a teenager. And then they acted like WE were obsessed for talking about their blog posts (about us) in the IG forum chat.

I have no real horse in this race, but there is a way to debate opinions on a message board and this is not it. You can’t just declare your opinion as fact, move the goalposts when challenged, attack the other posters when they try to engage in good faith, and then just declare yourself the winner. That might work for certain us presedential types, but it doesn’t work for the general population, and definitely not on this board. Maybe on reddit you can drop in, shit stir, and then pop back out to repeat in the future, but this board isn’t so big that we forget you that quickly. People are going to be putting you on ignore soon.

Gymbeauty, you haven’t convinced me of your claim and i am just a slightly more than average fan who actually grew to like Shang’s grit and persistence despite her raw form. Try posting illustrative pictures/videos or clips from the code that you think support your opinion instead of meandering your argument all over the place until we can’t follow what the hell you are getting at.

It’s not possible to punch front with that much speed and do it with much more amplitude than Shang did.
I literally gave you examples of beautiful Eythora.

“Speed of rotation” isn’t a deduction in the COP on floor. It isn’t at all relevant. But amplitude is.

Last edited:
You can not have a rational or productive conversation about gymnastics (or anything else) with someone who just makes up her own arbitrary and fluid rules and generally just talks utter nonsense. Maybe you see the wisdom in Denn’s earlier suggestion that people just move on from this and stop engaging?

Qi Qi rising for the second salto at 0:34:

Zhang Yihan rising for the second salto at 5:40:

Zhang Qi rising for the second salto at 0:26:

Wei Xiaoyuan rising for the second salto:

Liu Zixuan rising for the second salto:

He Licheng rising for the second salto at 0:16:

Chen Xiaoqing rising for the second salto at 0:13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQ-YQkbtng

Du Siyu rising for the second salto at 0:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDiY4xLHx0

Luo Youjuan rising for the second salto at 0:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67olrS4HU84

Liu Jinru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCRIcu3ITY

Most of these gymnasts are landing their triples far more upright, putting less stress on their achilles

Oh, you done had ENOUGH.
Stop It Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

I love any tumbling pass with a punch out (especially if it is also a direction change) so I’d be giving bonus points to anyone doing it. Good thing I am not a judge!
I love rebounding passes as well… I tried so hard to learn how to do a punch front from a back flip but never could

Realistically, when would Gabby need to be in shape to make the Olympics. She has a year but you would think that we would have some idea of where she is.

I think not being in the mix this year is to her detriment. She’s been out of competition since 2016. Ideally you’d be out there in front of international judges, getting feedback on routine construction, adjusting to the rules changes, etc.

Not doing Classic means Nationals is almost certainly out of the question. That means she’s unlikely to compete before Winter Cup 2024. If the goal is Paris, it just feels like time is running out.

Do we know which WOGA coach is her main one? If Valeri (is he still coaching?), it isn’t his first rodeo. He paced Nastia perfectly but screwed up with Ohashi and Bross, so…kind of a tossup.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back