Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. It’s always different when you’re dealing with paying customers v family.
I think you are right. Some part of it may be motivation but its also likely a better instinctive rapport with your own daughter coupled with the freedom to train her exactly the way you want to without any concern about how parents will react.

Valeri’s failures were all with pretty young gymnasts. It will be interesting to see (if we get to see it) how an adult with her own agency and opinions trains with him.

Last edited:
He coached an adult Brenda Magana at the 2004 Olympics, no? I do remember she got injured in Athens and vaguely recall a photo of Valeri carrying her off the podium.

At least with Brian Carey and Andy Memmel, they weren’t taking on a gaggle of other elite hopefuls only to break them and destroy their potential before and after their daughters’ successes. Carey’s only other elite was Riley McCusker when she was escaping from Maggie Haney’s clutches.

When you really look at it, Valeri has a piss-poor track record and his one success with his child is what has given him any legitimacy.

Also, I recall the Brazil team not too happy with him when he was their head coach. In particular, Daniele Hypolito, who Valeri removed from the A team at a time when their depth pool was rather shallow.

Which Soviet gymnast did the back tumbling into front 1.25 tucked to prone? She prob recorded some great snap speed

And she’s got her L grip pirouettes back and they look excellent! If she has her inbars back this could be killer in regards to D score on bars, which will always put one in the conversation for making a team.

Last edited:
And she’s got her L grip pirouettes back and they look excellent! If she has her inbars back this could be killer in regards to D score on bars, which will always put one in the conversation for making a team.
I’m sorry but where are you seeing training footage? When I click on the link, they are just photos

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back