Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Gabby looks to be in amazing shape, and if she can show full routines I'd be all for her being in contention. Right now though I think she needs to show up and compete at one of the Classics. She shows pieces of things on social media, but not full routines. Yesterday or today she posted a photo of herself standing there looking amazing, but again - not helpful in determining her readiness. I will be excited to see her if/when she shows up!

I hope she and suni at the very least get to compete with Simone sometime. The three previous Oly AA champions competition has to happen sometime.
It would be such an interesting and positive thing for the sport. Even the fact that we're having this discussion would've felt unbelievable, not that long ago. Well into the era when gymnasts were competing longer. Because that's only the half of it.

It would be such an interesting and positive thing for the sport. Even the fact that we're having this discussion would've felt unbelievable, not that long ago. Well into the era when gymnasts were competing longer. Because that's only the half of it.
To put in in perspective, that would be like Pod, Raducan, and Carly all at one meet. That thought is WILD.

To put in in perspective, that would be like Pod, Raducan, and Carly all at one meet. That thought is WILD.
Those three all had such short international elite careers as seniors. Weird to remember that gymnasts were once pushed for a quick sprint and then done with the sport after the Olympics while still a teenager. Unless you were Svetlana Khorkina.

Those three all had such short international elite careers as seniors. Weird to remember that gymnasts were once pushed for a quick sprint and then done with the sport after the Olympics while still a teenager. Unless you were Svetlana Khorkina.
I mean of course this still happens. But I remember when it was so surprising for a gymnast to succeed at the Olympics (even without winning AA gold) and then continue.

Pod and Raducan had relatively long careers for the time as well!

it’s crazy looking back now at how Khorkina was portrayed as being absolutely ancient when she was 24.

Carly's major international career was exceptionally short - around 11-12 months from 2003 Worlds to the 2004 Olympics and then she was done with everything gymnastics and tried for a singing career.

Carly's major international career was exceptionally short - around 11-12 months from 2003 Worlds to the 2004 Olympics and then she was done with everything gymnastics and tried for a singing career.
I never followed her singing attempt. Could she actually sing?

had the rules at the time not allowed her to compete senior in 2003, her senior entire career would have been Feb 2004- August 2004. She qualified elite in Spring 1999

To be fair according to Carly she wanted to continue after the Olympics but was forced to retire due to back problems in 2006.

Even the Olympic champion was not spared of WOGA back.

Imagine if she had continued into the 05-08 cycle sucessfully. She could have been a member of the 2006 and 2007 World teams and could have been used in Bejing.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back