Field set for 2021 GK U.S. Classic and GK Hope Championships, updated event

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Oh I don’t think it would be a PR nightmare at all. People would quickly forget that it was a “petition” that got her qualified.

Doesn’t make it right, though. I can’t see her getting a 27 with an FTY.

Depends if the beam judging is as lenient as winter cup was 😉

I’m surprised she seems to be putting the flic-LO-LO in since that is very new on high beam. She’s been doing the flic-LO for far longer. It’s much more solid and doesn’t scream “look at my bent knees” as loud. I think the DTY is more consistent (as a skill, I know she hadn’t landed it on hard) and more useful to her chances of qualifying. Though I love that the lemon juicer is in for kicks and I think her low beam move is kinda neat, it’s a shame that the rest of the choreography is so stock. I actually had to rewatch to check she had some sideways stuff in there. Total game face for that mock comp routine though, you could see the difference.

The angle injury has been such a hindrance. That was the weekend she was going to camp (she hasn’t been to any at this point) and I thought she was a shoo in for nationals until then based on her progress and trajectory. It’s been interesting to see her beam get less solid as she does more routines rather than skills. The whole thing is fascinating from a coaching and gym fan pov. I know this isn’t normal elite training but it’s great to see the detail and her progression. I’ve watched every single weekly video and agree that it was my gymnastics highlight of 2020, I still love catching them live on Sunday nights when I can. My husband even know what I’m doing if I’m watching something on my phone at 2300 on a Sunday! Chellsie has always been one of my favourites since 2003 nationals and classics is going to be a massive test. I am going to be so nervous about a 2012 repeat.

I’m normally a stickler for the rules but I did think she should have been allowed to compete at nationals in 2012. This time I think a favour is much less justified. What about an exhibition floor routine? In her last video she talked about how excited she was so show her new choreography. That would be a highlight of nationals even if she just does double pikes and layouts.

Last edited:
Nationals would’ve been justifiable in 2012 because in an Olympic year you could broadly justify anyone who had any chance at all at being top 3 on an event, and in particular anyone who had bars pedigree. While I accept that Chellsie had shown nothing whatsoever to qualify her in 2012 specifically, I wouldn’t say that would’ve been a rule bender one, since they were allowed to accept petitions.

For this year, I suppose if they do want her to qualify as of right, nothing to prevent some generous scoring. Across the board if necessary.

I actually am really rooting for grace. She seems like a really shy sweet girl. That finger thing sounds bad! A plate and seven screws just for a finger!

“The first senior session on May 22 will stream on the free part of NBC’s Peacock, starting at 1 p.m. ET”

But I don’t see a listing when I look at Peacock.

Peacock confirmed it would be free too: , but I can’t find it on the schedule either. Hopefully it will show up soon.

Someone could probably also tweet them and ask–it looks like they’re really responsive to questions

Is there even a schedule for Peacock? I thought it was like netflix or hulu. I haven’t bothered to set up a free account yet, so it’s not like I’ve dug real deep.

Good news is that if you cannot watch session 1 live (like me), you can watch it later on demand.

There’s a schedule for their live sport stuff, but most of that is on the pay side of the channel which we don’t have. I looked the other day and they didn’t have Classic listed anywhere but I assume that’ll somewhat soon. Not that I’ll get to watch it live, but I’m hoping I can figure out how to watch it on demand later because I’m gonna be sad if I have to miss Chellsie!

I wonder if they went up into her hand too. Those carpel things.

Yep, carpal is of the hands, and tarsal is of the feet, and fingers and toes are phalanges.

José M.

I can imagine seven very small screws that can fit on my pinky. I dunno, but perhaps I have a large pinky.

José M.

Trinity Thomas has announced her retirement from elite in the leadup to Classics. It is sad that she will never have attended an Olympic Trials considering the level of talent and aesthetics, but she’ll continue to do great things at Florida and really needed some time to physically heal up. Championships and Trials likely would have been unsafe after NCAAs.

Last edited:
I really am glad that she is doing the best thing for herself. She does gorgeous gymnastucs and I love to watch but being able to have a healthy body after college is important.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back