Field set for 2021 GK U.S. Classic and GK Hope Championships, updated event

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Just curious, what did you take for the Arabian? I had a tenth for the pause, a tenth for the check, and debating 1 v. 3 for the landing.

I have:

0.1 pause

0.3 deep landing (tuck front)

0.1 rhythm in turn connection

0.1 wobble in turn connection

0.1 body shape in Illusion

0.1 pause

0.1 body posture in arabian

0.1 wobble on arabian

0.1 adjustment/pause

0.1 feet on double pike

0.1 landing w feet apart on double pike

Others may have different thoughts but those are mine.

The rest of her routine is just the switch to jumps, the aerial cartwheel and the LOSOx2 acro series, right?

She will probably get 0.6 in deductions for all that, if she hits. Then maybe 2 or 3 for artistry? I think a hit set she’s looking at 7.7-7.9 ish. Her difficulty is DB1C2DDD1FE = 5.6 so she should be looking at a low 13.

Might give her some room to do a nice FTY and still get a 27.0

If she has any trouble on beam she’s gonna need a DTY to qualify.

Do we know if she’s vaulting or beaming first? Ideally she will want to know her beam score before she vaults, right?

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert! Just my opinion ha

Maybe the others can feed in too. It’s crazy that Chellsie hasn’t been judged since 2012. I wonder whether she judges her own training videos!?

I think only .1 for the tuck front landing. .1 for height, though, I took.

What isn’t correct about her body shape in the illusion? I have to say I’m not sure what to look for. She seems pretty square

Bent knee, insufficient split, not extended through leg and foot.

I guess I took liberties with just a general “minor body shape” deduction. Although I’m not sure if the body shape “lump everything into a small medium or large” error can be used for gymnastic turns too.

Last edited:
There’s really no excusing her foot not being pointed coming off the beam, but it seems like she uses heel drive for this skill. I would think her very slight plié would be permitted. I also can’t quite see the lack of split, but it’s hard to tell with how unsquare the skill is by nature

Her legs aren’t as straight and extended, with feet pointed throughout, as they could be. As I said, I took liberties with a 0.1. It’s clearly not worthy of 0.1 for each error but to me, cumulatively, theres 0.1 of body shape in there.

I admire Memmel in general and I also admire what she is doing as a 32-year old specifically. I have watched videos every week, and I am pulling for her big time. I also feel bad for her that the ankle injury set her back so much on floor, especially. Even still, I think that this comeback will disappoint her fans to some extent, especially on bars. She hasn’t worked on execution of some elements that we all know will get hammered
  • foot form on every tuck position on beam and her bars dismount
  • the leg form on the BHS + layout series
  • the jam, if she does it, is always way past handstand
  • the Memmel turn on FX is really bad. She doesn’t get the full split and always stumbles out of it. it’s worse than 90% of the double needle spins we see, I think.
I also think that including the front tuck is not just bad strategy but a sort of stubborn refusal to accept the reality that doing it will lower her score. She also needs some more creative choreo on beam and some work in relevé. Taking out the front tuck and putting in a nice choreo sequence in relevé will raise her score a few tenths.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Ive never though the tuck front was a good idea. It’s the one element in her routine I’d immediately nix and wouldn’t even replace it with anything. Count a B and lose 2 tenths of difficulty. You’ll make that back (and more!) in execution.

She won’t need to count a B. She has 8 other C+ elements:
  1. switch split mount
  2. front aerial
  3. Popa
  4. side aerial
  5. front tuck
  6. arabian
  7. the second full spin
  8. dismount
  9. the back layout

Last edited:
Also, her D-score should be 6.1 if she makes all the connections and 6.0 without the front tuck.

switch split + two B jumps (D + 0.1)
flip flop layout layout (C + 0.2)
front aerial + Popa (D + D + 0.2)
side aerial (D)
arabian (F)
spin series (D + 0.1)
dismount (E)

D-score for that is 2.0 requirements + 1C, 5D, 1E, 1F + 0.6 bonus = 6.0

Denn, I am also looking forward to watching gymnastics from 32-year-old Memmel. It would be a truly good watch !

José M.

I’m hoping that fans are going to have realistic expectations for this weekend. From her new YouTube video today, it looks like she’s planning to compete vault (Yurchenko full) and beam.

I don’t think she’s all the way back/ready on beam. I’m hoping the punch front is a place holder. I think she’s trying to deliver a somewhat competitive set and see how she handles the competition nerves.

I’m hoping she’s successful with this. Let her hit her two routines, not get hurt, and see her at Nationals. Then let’s see where she’s at. I’ve never had Olympics or bust expectations, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping she’d be there.

Isn’t the punch front a placeholder for the barani? I thought she said that, but maybe I’m just imagining it.

I agree with everyone here. Kind of some confusing choices on routine construction with regards to net value, and lack of attention to form issues. Her isolated side aerial doesn’t thrill me either. You would think if anyone could build smart routines and pay attention to the value of doing skills that clearly have built-in deductions, it would be her. I also don’t know why she would willingly construct a routine that would leave artistry/presentation/pause tenths on the table, when she’s very aware of the artistry deductions on beam. You would HAVE to think she’s judging her routines every time she’s watching herself, right??

Yeah the front tuck is just a placeholder for the piked Barani, which I reckon isn’t worth it either. A standard “perfect” one is still getting -0.1 for pausing and -0.1 for low chest (at least)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back