Field set for 2021 GK U.S. Classic and GK Hope Championships, updated event

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I just can’t wait to see her compete again. The last 18 months have been void of gymnastics, except the weekly Chellsie videos. I have loved watching her progress and demonstrate that gymnastics doesn’t have to end when you hit early 20s. I don’t care what numbers she pulls (as long as they are enough to get her to Nationals). You would have to think that she is judging herself after each routine and I’m hoping that means she has a couple of tricks up her sleeve that she is training, but not broadcasting weekly. But really, all I want from Chellsie is to see her pull a Wei Wei stunt…

You’re right. However I think they’re taking out the Popa this weekend (hamstring) so she would be counting a B.

With an FTY (13.8 ish) she’s gonna need a 13.2 on beam to make it to Nationals.

It’s gonna be very close. Based on the video she posted yesterday, I don’t think it’s realistic unfortunately. It was full of wobbles.

With all her built in deductions, and with no Popa, she’s gonna need to go absolutely lights out for a 13.2. Any wobble is gonna take her out.

Last edited:
I don’t want a bloody beam routine to take her out of things. That awfulness can remain in 2012. It worries me that this is her first meet. I thought she would give herself some breathing room to adjust to competing by putting in an appearance at the earlier meets, but alas, did not happen.

I’m really hoping that she tries the DTY. It is looking the best it ever has, however have to acknowledge that we have only see her land it on soft pit pillows. How crazy would it be if she rocked up with a Cheng? She confirmed she was training the entry, but made it sound like a fun aside to things. Still, can dream.

I think the Olympic team is out of the question, but Worlds would be a decent and achievable goal. I guess that is why I hope she is taken along for the Nationals ride this season, just so she can build up competition experience. It is frustrating to think that she could wobble out of her damn illusion and miss all the extra preparation that comes along with Nationals.

I’ll be honest - I don’t think Worlds 2021 is realistic either. This hamstring issue looks worrying. Splits and straddles simply cannot be hit with that problem and judges could really hammer all her dance elements.

Remember- gymnasts made Worlds EF with low 13s in Stuttgart.

She really needed the DTY to give her enough cushion on beam. Those 8 tenths.

The article in the thread says she can petition to Nationals. It doesn’t specify the process.

I’d rather she get the 27.0 and not worry about it, but there’s supposed to be a way for her to go to Nationals anyway.

Seems like you MUST have attended a camp in order to petition.

Has she?

You also need to prove that you WOULD have done all around but for your injury. I dont think Chellsie can realistically argue this. Maybe she can say she had ankle (floor) and shoulder (bars) injuries? Even so - you need to submit an AA score(s) with your petition, she doesn’t have any!

From all I’ve seen from her, she just says she “not yet ready”. I don’t think petitions can be used for this purpose.

I mean, I hope she gets to compete at Nationals as much as anyone. But it seems like a reasonable reading of the petition criteria means she’s not really eligible to use that route. In fact, the petition criteria specifically state that petitions cannot be used to simply bypass the qualification score requirements.

If Chellsie can’t get a 27.0 - does she really deserve a spot at Nationals?

I know it sounds harsh but there will be plenty of girls who can score a 26.5 but won’t be allowed a spot.

And I hope if she doesn’t get the 27.0 that she needs and then doesn’t get accepted to Nationals, that people don’t start cursing out USAG and Tom for not taking her, like they did in 2012.

Memmel didn’t earn a spot a Nationals in 2012 with that beam set she delivered and if she can hit in 2021 then she didn’t earn that spot either.

Lots of elites miss out on qualifying to Nationals by tenths. It is not fair that anyone expect Memmel to get a pass due to her history and name.

If she wants to compete she needs to earn it like everyone else.

Agree that O’s and Worlds are unrealistic at this point. Team USA is just too deep. But I think that has been the fans goal all along, not hers.

I think for her it’s been about training at the elite level in this sport, as an adult, on her own terms. Watching her joy in training has been amazing. I would love to see her go to a National team camp, so she could do that on her own terms, too, feel the same joy in that setting.

I think if she could legit qualify for Nationals, either through classics or a camp, either this year or next, training on her own terms as she has, that should be considered a complete success.

I think if she had had a fully clean smooth run without the ankle injury, she could have made Trials.

I think now, “success” for this year would be making Nationals and competing AA.

Whether she continues to 2022 is up to her. It’s a new Code. I wonder if she plans on updating her Brevet.

I’m reading on Reddit that people are assuming her petition to Nationals is a sure bet!

Can anyone on here unpack this? Am I reading the petition criteria a bit too tightly?

I felt almost reassure by Memmel’s form in the loso series still being skanky despite all the other badassery. The world has changed, but here is consistency. Nothing new under the sun etc.

I’m really hoping that she tries the DTY. It is looking the best it ever has, however have to acknowledge that we have only see her land it on soft pit pillows.
Sorry for the dumb question, but can someone ELI5 how the soft pit mats are different from comp mats with respect to performance? I mean, I know they’re easier on the body, but assuming the pit mats are at floor level, would we expect her performance to be negatively affected by landing on hard mats?

They look a bit lower to me.

Those couple extra inches of “non hard” surface count for a lot on the landing.

Plus, I can only imagine that knowing you’re landing on hard can make you more likely to rush the block and pre-twist.

Pretty sure all she’d need is a doctor’s note for the hamstring or ankle. I don’t know the specifics of her previous developmental, NTT, or selection camp attendance, but I think the bigger question is whether USAG is willing to endure another shitstorm re: excuding a fan favorite who’s accomplished a lot for the program even though they essentially chewed her up and spit her out.

Marta being willing to pull the plug because of shoulder and beam drama in the “pre-transparency era” is one thing. Forster doing it in 2021 would be remarkable unless she’s downright unsafe at Classics. Hypothetical bubble athletes and juniors who would otherwise miss out are a good question, but I’m not sure it’s enough to justify a high-profile, feel-good athlete snub that doesn’t otherwise justify itself.

What I always found interesting about the petition process that you’re not allowed to petition to Championships if you did AA at Classics.

Last edited:
I get all that. But “fan favourite” really shouldn’t be a criteria for qualification to nationals.

And does this mean that any gymnast in the country scoring a 26.0 on two pieces, in any classic meet held in 2021, can throw a doctors note at Tom and get a spot at Nationals?

I totally get your point. But it makes a mockery of the rules. If I was a coach and I had a gymnast that scored higher than Chellsie but was denied a spot, I’d be furious.

I think there’s a bums on seats argument to be made too, in non-covid times. It’s not as simple as fan favourite can do what they want, but neither do commercial interests have to be completely excluded either. If you have someone who is at the level we’re talking about now, has that level of pedigree in the sport and can sell tickets by their presence, it’s worth at least having a discussion about whether being a few tenths below the usual qualifying requirements is insurmountable. Especially if you happen to be an organisation with a significant PR problem and the athlete concerned is a fantastic story.

No
Just no
This is a sport where moving up should be on merit alone not popularity
It would be a bigger PR mess if back door deals and favoritism occur.
If she can’t meet minimum standards, MINIMUM, she needs to stay home.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back