Doha World Cup 2023, March 1-4

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Sabrina Voinea will be used as much as possible and she won’t go anywhere unless she is medically unable to compete due to her name and her mother’s work with the national team and as personal coach to Sabrina.

I will confess, I am impressed both with Sabrina’s performance in finals as well as the improvement, specially in the leap department. I mean not that she’s a shining example, but I think you can argue they’re much better now.

Not even the switch leap hits split here. Am I seeing things or did these get better?

ps. also, can she please go full Rom and put in a choo-choo somewhere in that floor

Last edited:
No, she has improved, @onodian, within the last few months. I was shocked after seeing her form in quals. Oh how I wish breakdancing was a mother-daughter hobby for the Voineas.

Who are the frontrunners for the Paris team? Puflea (if she comes back healthy and the fed stops harrassing her), Ghigoarta, and Barbosu are the three you’d build the team around, if they’re at their best. Ceplinschi (if healthy), and Voinea? I guess Voinea would make the team for her DTY, but Cosman, Duta and some others are better on UB…
Maybe mom promised her a sandwich for winning.
Are you insinuating she’s not well-fed?

They’d need to qualify first before any talk of a Paris team, and that’s not a trivial matter for a country that couldn’t even muster five gymnasts for a team last year. Honestly I think they could qualify if everyone is fit and healthy, but the chances of that are not high. Do we even know if they will have a full team ready for Euros?

On the plus side it should be easier for the top non-team countries to get two or three individuals to Paris this time round. On today’s evidence Voinea is a frontrunner for one of the beam or floor qualifying spots, but again she has to stay healthy for that.

Are you insinuating she’s not well-fed?
She’s very small compared to others. I think she would benefit from gaining some muscle. And there are documented complaints from Romanian gymnasts in the past about food restrictions. So yes I hope she has good nutrition.

She was the second tallest gymnast on Romania’s 2022 junior Euros team. Restriction of food has never been an exclusively Romanian gymnastics thing

Whatever dude.

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

Voinea’s FX is totally NOT strategic.

I would remove the triple spin (and do a simple spin in the choreo) and remove the double salto at the end.

She can count the switch split. And in the long run, work toward upgrading the front tuck into the triple full into a front layout stepout (or, even later, maybe a front full).

Had she grown a lot last year? Perhaps her muscles were temporarily catching up to the length of her legs, and she’s around the age where that is not an uncommon issue. It would explain the leaps being worse for a year.

Voinea’s FX is totally NOT strategic.

I would remove the triple spin (and do a simple spin in the choreo) and remove the double salto at the end.

She can count the switch split. And in the long run, work toward upgrading the front tuck into the triple full into a front layout stepout (or, even later, maybe a front full).
100% agree.

What stuck out most to me was the complete lack of attention to corner deductions in her first two passes. I can see Adjustment and Pause deductions for both. That’s 4 tenths.

Serita Mikako - Uneven Bars Final

D Score

DV

F x 1 (Downie), 0.6
E x 1 (van Leeuwen), 0.5
D x 4 (pak salto, straddled Jaeger, toe-on full, full twisting double tuck dismount), 1.6
C x 1 (clear hip), 0.3
B x 1 (giant to blind change), 0.2

Total DV - 3.2

CV

Downie + Pak salto
(D + F, both with flight), 0.2

toe on full + full twisting double tuck dismount
(D + D, both with turn or flight), 0.1

Total CV - 0.3

Dismount Bonus

full twisting double tuck (D), 0.2

CR
  1. Flight element from high bar to low bar, (Pak salto)
  2. Flight element with regrasp to same bar, (Downie, or straddled Jaeger)
  3. Different grips, (clear hip, straddled Jaeger)
  4. Non-flight element with 360 degree turn, (toe-on full)
Total CR - 2.0

Total D - 3.2 + 0.3 + 0.2 + 0.2 = 5.7

Elements or Connections Not Credited

clear hip
  • Did not finish within 10 degrees of handstand → drops to a B element
  • Loss of 0.1 in D Score
giant 1/2
  • Did not reach within 10 degrees of handstand → drops to A element
  • Not counting element, no impact on D Score
Total D - 3.1 + 0.3 + 0.2 + 0.2 = 5.6

E Score

cast to handstand with legs straddled
(body posture / piked hips), 0.1

piked stalder full
(lack of precision / pirouette off-axis), 0.1

Downie
(insufficient height, hips at high bar height upon regrasp), 0.1

van Leeuwen
(leg separation), 0.1
(lack of precision / body not fully rotated upon regrasp), 0.1

clear hip
(bent arms), 0.1
(angle of completion, between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand), 0.1

giant to blind change
(body posture, arch), 0.1

straddled Jaeger
(flexed feet), 0.1
(insufficient height), 0.1

giant 1/2

toe-on full
(angle of completion, between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand, looks to be at 45 degrees when the second hand has regrasped the bar), 0.3

full twisting double tuck dismount
(bent knees on giant swing), 0.3 - 0.5
(flexed feet), 0.1
(body posture on landing), 0.1
(small hop on dismount), 0.1

Total Deductions - 2.4 - 2.6, E Score - 7.4 - 7.6, Actual E Score - 7.633

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back