Chinese Nationals

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Lol what I like to see, and what would score the best, are two completely different things 😘

I’m also seeing a lot of the floor routines copying GBR, USA and RUS floor music circa 2011-2017

If she connected them to a triple twist, it would be pretty impressive.

I want to love the floor routine, but I hate, hate, hate the music selection. Also the choreography doesn’t go well with this music so I would def. be taking artistry deductions.

It’s weird listening to music that’s “attached” to a prominent gymnast and ever think it’s fits to the new gymnast.

Kocian tried it in 2016 and almost made it work. Otherwise, I can’t think of an example of improving the original. Could be an idea for a thread! Ha

I’m here for Lu Yufei on the Olympic team. I love that jaeger-pak. If that combo doesn’t get +0.2 CV, the WTC should be ashamed.

Last edited:
What has happened to Shang Chunsong? She looks dreadful.

E + D (D does not have turn or flight) = no CV
E + D (D must have turn or flight), only one flight element in connection = 0.1 CV
E + D, both elements have flight = 0.2 CV

Shang looks tired and defeated.

Sorry for the late answer, EFs start around 1 AM EST today

Spreadsheets will be really really cool and I think scoring may help give us a sense of the main contenders. I don’t think it has been posted but the Olympic training squad comprises the top 8 AA finishers, which is why Ou Yushan was subbed in, as a very legitimate contender. So the following qualified for the training squad:
Lu Yufei
Zhang Jin*
Li Shijia*
Tang Xijing*
He Licheng
Ou Yushan
Wei Xiaoyuan
Luo Rui
  • already qualified
2019 World team members Li, Tang, Qi Qi, Liu Tingting and Chen Yile are also included in the training squad. Also I read a tweet about those with a 22.5+ D score total (Guan Chenchen, notably) being included maybe?? I think 2018 Asian Games winners Chen Yile, Zhang Jin, Liu Tingting, Luo Huan and Liu Jinru also qualify for the selection team. So…pretty stacked.

Not sure if people know this and I’m last to the party, but Lu Yufei did this in PT:

Her coach is giving her bottom leg a lift but I think she could definitely be landing this by Tokyo if she’s staying healthy–she’s probably landing it now anyway.

VT: (Ou) Li, Zhang, Lu
UB: (Zhang) Ou, Lu, Li
BB: (Zhang/Lu) Zhang/Lu, Li, Ou
FX: (Li) Zhang, Lu, Ou

It’s increasingly clear to me that China should be second behind the US in Tokyo if all teams hit and are healthy.

Last edited:
People on Reddit are creaming over these whips but to me, they aren’t whips! They’re layouts!
True, but methinks it technically suits her and today’s modern equipment. It’s bizarre looking but beautiful to me.

Oh they look gorgeous! But put that into any level 8 routine and it’s a layout, right?

WAG VT EF-
  1. Deng Yalan 5.6/14.433 5.8/14.766
  2. Liu Jinru 5.6/14.333 5.8/14.366
  3. Yu Linmin 5.2/14.0 5.6/14.5
  4. Ye Dandan 4.8/13.5 4.6/13.366
  5. Zhang Silei 4.6/13.3 5.6/13.5
  6. Gong Yuhan 4.6/13.266 4.8/13.5
  7. Liu Zixuan 4.8/13.4 5.8/13.333
  8. Sun Yuxuan 4.8/13.3 4.6/13.266
WAG UB EF results-
  1. Fan Yilin 6.3 15.066
  2. Luo Rui 6.2 14.766
  3. Wei Xiaoyuan 6.2 14.766
  4. Liu Tingting 5.9 14.666
  5. Li Shijia 6.0 14.633
  6. Tang Xijing 6.0 14.633
  7. Zhou Ruiyu 6.2 13.533
  8. Lu Yufei 4.8 12.3

’m noticing the current athletes are not as secure in the healy pirouettes as the girls from the Beijing/London/Rio quads were. It seems like across the board they’re struggling with getting good pressure through their post arm. For example, Yufei’s fall in EF wasn’t shocking to me since she looked very loose in the healys all week, and LTT/LSJ didn’t have any problems per se but there healys looked a bit precarious at times.

Have the national team switched to using grips w/dowels in the last few years? That might explain why they seem less confident with the regrasp on that skill. Or maybe they spend less time training them since this code has emphasized transitions and releases over E pirouettes?

It really stood out to me this weekend because China typically had immaculate healy/ono technique even from B/C team athletes in previous years.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back