Chinese Nationals

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What I love love love about Ou’s routine is the lack of shit ‘armograpy’ - I cannot stand to see a beam routine where the gymnast’s arms are jumping and jerking into ‘shapes’.

I can definitely see a CHN gold on BB in Tokyo if they can perform like this on the big stage.

Part of me wonders if they’ve been holding back from showing the World these monster 7+ D Score routines to prevent the Americans from copying the routine structuring.
If they did then good for them. That would be smart strategizing.

Other than some US gymnast I cant see any others pulling off routines like that.

I mean, I don’t mind as long as the orphan BHS’s and split/straddle jumps are performed well. The Code is written such that there’s no point doing them unless they’re deduction free - which surely we all want to see?

And I really don’t understand this obsession with 2.5 twist dismounts. Is an extra half twist really something to get excited over? She loses a tenth for not performing the extra half twist. I really don’t mind it. Especially given that C dismounts are clearly being more harshly deducted for height and body shape, than their D+ counterparts. I see some beautiful high and straight double fulls being performed, and people are still deducting for height and body shape. When its clear they wouldn’t give those deductions if they did an extra half.

Last edited:
Yeah, I myself am not too fond of the endless switch leap + ring leap + Korbut and free walkover + ring jump + FF variations, but when they’re done as sublimely as Ou, Li, Liu and countless other gymnasts from China are doing them, I can’t complain too much. It’s smart structure and they’re actually incorporating the series into the choreography very well–this wasn’t true at the beginning of the quad; the Chinese gymnasts were noticeably more “start/stop” on beam.

I still do think a lot of these Chinese routines are trick trick trick - pose - pause - trick trick trick - pose - pause.

I’d definitely hit all of these CHN routines for the “series of disconnected elements” tenth. And multiple pause deductions. Given that they’re doing most of the skills completely deduction free (with the exception of body shape on the rings), its how they’re getting in the 8’s for Execution. There are very few built in deductions in these Chinese beam routines.

Yeah I take issue with Li and her split positions.

Interestingly though, when I went back and looked at screenshots of her 2019 EF beam, her rings look better than they do in real time. Which is rare. Normally its the other way around.

Li is not hitting those ring positions very well. I much prefer Ou’s beam routine.

It looks like China is bringing their A game. They are not playing. Those top AA scores are nothing to sneeze at.
Russia needs to be scared. So, should Italy.

Last edited:
Seeing a LOT of front attitude double L’s on floor. Inexplicable that they’ve made this a D WITH hand support of the free leg.

Chunsong has no high to low transition in her bar routine. Given the deductions now on a pak, I’m not surprised! 0.5 CR isn’t worth as much these days.

And she totally Atler’d her beam dismount. Was kinda scary!

Last edited:
Is Russia really the favourite for silver they usually edge out China because they tend to mess up less.

She did so well to get through to the end of that. Especially given all the hype about her PT routine.

What did Li vault? 14.0… it was a bad DTY, a pretty good Y1.5 or a flawless FTY.

Probably a bad DTY right?

I have yet to find video of her vault, but she has had a DTY for most of her senior career so I’m guessing that.

More videos are here!

So did Liu Tingting and Chen Yile not do AA because the Guangdong team is stacked? I wonder how Liu scored on FX and BB…

After TQ, it’s hard to tell what the strongest team would be. I guess I would think Li Shijia (AA, maybe not FX), Ou Yushan (UB, BB, FX), Zhang Jin/Guan Chenchen (VT, BB?, FX), and maybe Lu Yufei (UB?, FX)… Lu Yufei is really hit or miss on bars. This would be so much easier if Ou had her DTY ready–all of the realistic teams seem to be counting a FTY in TF, unless I’m missing something obvious. Where’d Tang’s DTY go?

also, Doug, I agree there are many routines from Nationals TQ where the gymnasts don’t have great choreography throughout their acro and dance elements^, but Ou Yushan’s PT video here really shouldn’t get hit for a series of disconnected elements. This is probably the most beautiful beam routine I’ve seen all quad. It is dripping in elegance, sophistication, variation, rhythm, precision, etc.

This routine gets no artistry deduction for me. Wow. What a shame it is that she didn’t qualify for the AA and BB !!! I’m sad. She consistently proves herself as the strongest on floor tho, so she could afford this mistake here at Nationals on beam methinks–hot wonderful would it be to see her hit in Tokyo.

this is the longest post ever but can we pls score Nationals??? I just checked out Tang’s bars and I actually had her at an 8.9 for her bars. 6.0 D score

she scored 14.333. But at Worlds she was scoring 14.5-6 range for this routine.

Maloney + Pak DD .1
Van Leeuwen E
1/2 turn blind change + Healy + Ling + 1/1 in L + piked Jaeger EEDE .3
DLO D
EEEEDDDD 3.6 + 2.0 + .4 = 6.0

Last edited:
When deductions are only in 0.2 increments and pirouettes are sometimes very borderline between a 0.1 vs. a 0.3 and a 0.3 vs. a 0.5, I don’t find a 0.2-0.4 deviation in scores to be particularly surprising.

Below are the deductions I had, though the angle of the video is definitely not ideal for judging how far from handstand the pirouettes were being finished.

Pak salto
  • (angle of completion → between 10 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1 / (note her Worlds routines were borderline / possible 0.3s)
kip
  • (bent arms) 0.1
van Leeuwen
  • (leg separation) 0.1^
  • (lack of precision / turn not fully completed) 0.1
kip
  • (bent arms) 0.1
cast to handstand with legs straddled
  • (grip adjustment) 0.1^
reverse grip giant to turn on one arm, turn initiated before handstand
  • (turn completed past handstand → between 10 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
l-grip giant full to turn on one arm, turn initiated before handstand / ‘Ling’ technique
  • (turn completed past handstand → between 10 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
  • (adjustment / body tilts off to the side as she goes into the downswing) 0.1^
l-grip giant full
  • (turn completed past handstand → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.3
piked Jaeger
  • (bent arms upon regrasp) 0.1
kip
  • (bent arms) 0.1
cast to handstand 1/2 with legs straddled
  • (turn completed past handstand → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.3
double layout
  • (step on landing) 0.1
Total E - 8.2 - 8.5 / -1.8 / -1.5

^ Denotes likely not visible / much less obvious from the side or subtle error, valid position for a judge to not deduct

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back