Chinese Nationals

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Doing a nice layout would lose 0.3 D. And probably 0.1-0.2 off her final score. I still think it’s worth it.

When I saw the mount, first thought was “What the hay???” Love Love Love it! Although, it was a little scary for me…startled me.
If she does this exact routine at the Olympics, she dang well deserves gold.

I wonder if the FIG envisaged all these crossways jumps could be tacked together back to back to back for DDDDD plus 0.2cv each time.

You could do a whole routine of it:

Candle
Triple Wolf
Double Wolf
Cartwheel - Side Somi - Split Half - Straddle Half - Jump Full 0.7
Full Turn
RO BHS Triple Full 0.3

DEDDDDDF 1.0 = 6.5!

Last edited:
There is. For better or for worse, watering down to layout extent, ie showing difficulty well below that of competitors, means taking the risk of being on the end of a 2018 Euros floor final type approach. One doesn’t have to agree with this to accept it is a possibility. Whereas a double twist on beam has become sufficiently commonplace that it doesn’t involve the same risk. We already know judges are ok with those, because there’s been a recent world champion with one.

Oh I know.

It is a preference. To see all that difficulty and originality and then dismount of double twist is personally disappointed.

Out of interest, is it more or less disappointing than a less pretty 2.5 or triple twist dismount would be? Perhaps one with messier legs and a hop?

I personally would rather have the 2.5 or triple. Easier but cleaner doesn’t work for me. One of the reasons, I am not a fan of college gymnastics.

Last edited:
If the whole routine were similarly watered down I’d agree with you @lovegymnasts , but I don’t seem to have the same attachment to the D+ dismount requirement that is common among gym fans. I actually like that this code gives gymnasts a bit more flexibility with respect to how they build their difficulty. If a gymnast is going to do a C skill I don’t care if it’s at the beginning, middle or end of a routine, and if they are still competitive in spite of the loss to their d-score, well more power to them for being able to compensate elsewhere.

I’m with @irichluck21 on this; it’s a personal preference, and this is mine. 🙂

Last edited:
I don’t mind easier dismounts anywhere, really. I think the problem with beam is that the WTC let BHS-BHS-1.5 be equal to a double tuck and a tenth less than double pike or RO/BHS-FF-double tuck, and that’s just stupid. There’s not really a point in any non-twisting double back off beam unless you’re Mustafina, or somebody else who can set a mean salto but can’t keep good form in multiple twists.

There’s a similar effect on floor, where there’s now no practical incentive to do a double pike over a front full for your dismount unless you have a weird CR situation, to say nothing of full-ins, anywhere.

Ironically, vault bucks this trend. Paseka’s Cheng doesn’t get hit for height “because it’s hard” and FTYs get the hose.

Last edited:
Ou’s skills are stunning!! That floaty Korbut <3 That is a jam-packed, long routine. Fingers crossed she can manage a triple full by Tokyo, although I don’t hate the double.

Some of the Russian juniors are doing the candlestick 1/2 mount, but they don’t catch it in a “mixed grip” like Ou does. It looks a little precarious, catching like that…

That is absolutely gorgeous. My cynical side can’t keep wondering whether I’ll ever see that kind of a routine in competition though. I don’t know this gymnast specifically, is she reliable? will she do a wonderful set and then fall on her single twist dismount that she downgraded to not to fall?

She’s looking like China’s leading AA contender going into the Games!

At 2019 Junior Worlds, Ou won bronze in AA (behind Listunova and Urazova), silver on floor, and silver with team China. Then at an internal test in September of 2020, her first time competing as a senior, she attempted a 7.5 SV beam, vaulted a DTY, and stuck a Silivas on floor to best Tang Xijing for the AA win. Then she injured her knee shortly after. But based on training vids, she seems to be back or close to peak form. She’s an AA contender for sure, beam and floor too. HerBody-willing !!

Also the replay at 2:30 here. Talk about a double tuck worth doing (this was her second pass in 2019). I don’t think you could deduct a single thing there. Maybe her landing position if you’re being nitpicky?

Last edited:
I agree. Nothing on that double tuck.

It’s definitely worth doing as she has no other double salto! My gripe is when someone like Ferrari throws away an Olympic bronze medal doing a Double Pike 4th pass that gives her 0.1 in difficulty but throws away 0.5 in deductions ha

Last edited:
So clearly I cursed Ou Yushan because she didn’t qualify for the AA (two per province rule). Her floor score is great, though; highest qualifier on the event.

Li Shijia 57.7 AA. And you know that these Chinese scores are legit.

15.4 on beam. They are not playing with these D Scores. They’re killing the series bonus rules and DD for 0.2 all over the routine.

Last edited:
Part of me wonders if they’ve been holding back from showing the World these monster 7+ D Score routines to prevent the Americans from copying the routine structuring.

It’s become clear that DDB+4 and sideways DDD+5 has become the most efficient way of getting a monster “on beam” D Score in this Code. We all knew about F dismounts, as soon as they published the Code in 2016. But this Code LOVES the D-rated dance elements, and with Split Ring Jump, Split Ring Leap, and Switch Ring, all able to be connected in a series, this beam Code was just made for the Chinese.

Last edited:
The WTC have really outdone themselves trying to destroy beam with this code. The quality of Ou’s gymnastics is beyond sublime. The Korbut and side somi are to die for, but literally every skill she does is in a 3 element connection, with the exception of the full turn and the dismount. It’s absurdly repetitive and it’s really hard for me to be wowed by a succession of a-leaps and orphan BHSs tacked on. There really needs to be a limit on the kind of CV you can get from these sequences.

She also clearly looks capable of a beautiful 2.5, the decision to remove the dismount requirement has done such a disservice.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back