Asia D’Amato out for Paris

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That's very sad for her. I think that everyone suspected this would be the result from her demeanour in TF

A pity that her recovery was rushed - there was no need for her to be chucking skills that she wasn't fully ready for in quals

I saw elsewhere that Asia missed Euros in 2021 but made Olympics and worlds. She made Euros in 2022, 2023, and now 2024, but didn't compete in a single worlds or Olympics this quad. ("quad")

I saw elsewhere that Asia missed Euros in 2021 but made Olympics and worlds. She made Euros in 2022, 2023, and now 2024, but didn't compete in a single worlds or Olympics this quad. ("quad")

She has really terrible injury luck (and coaching) - this is the 3rd consecutive year she has had a season, possible career ending injury
2022 - tore ankle ligaments during vt final at Euros
2023 - tore ACL and meniscus on VT at Cairo World Cup
2024 - 12 months after previous injury tears ACL on FX during qualifying

This may be a stupid question from someone who hasn't been near a biology book since I was 13, but is there no way the ACL can be built up, made stronger to prevent injury like this. Some gymnasts seem more susceptible that others - Andrade springs to mind?

This may be a stupid question from someone who hasn't been near a biology book since I was 13, but is there no way the ACL can be built up, made stronger to prevent injury like this. Some gymnasts seem more susceptible that others - Andrade springs to mind?
I don’t think it is possible to strengthen the ACL as it is a ligament. But you can strengthen the muscles in your leg, which can prevent the twisting motion of rupturing the ACL.

Second ACL tears often happen because rehab was rushed. There's very little anyone can do to sped up how quickly the graft heals. Putting too much stress on a reconstructed ACL before it's fully healed is just asking for failure.

The other thing frequently seen, and I believe this was the case with Andrade with at least one of her tears, is the ACL in the other leg tearing. People get nervous about reinjuring the repaired ACL and end up putting undue stress on the "healthy" knee.

As Janchen said, any good ACL rehab is going to focus on building up strength in the leg to limit the twisting motion that causes ACL tears. Jessica Gadirova did a ton of leg strengthening before surgery. The hope is that by getting those muscles strong before surgery, she will be in a better position during post-repair rehab and less likely to suffer a graft failure.

Last edited:
Second ACL tears often happen because rehab was rushed. There's very little anyone can do to sped up how quickly the graft heals. Putting too stress on a reconstructed ACL before it's fully healed is just asking for failure.

The other thing frequently seen, and I believe this was the case with Andrade with at least one of her tears, is the ACL in the other leg tearing. People get nervous about reinjuring the repaired ACL and end up putting undue stress on the "healthy" knee.

As Janchen said, any good ACL rehab is going to focus on building up strength in the leg to limit the twisting motion that causes ACL tears. Jessica Gadirova did a ton of leg strengthening before surgery. The hope is that by getting those muscles strong before surgery, she will be in a better position during post-repair rehab and less likely to suffer a graft failure.
Yeah you can’t build a stronger ACL. The goal is the muscles around it. In addition to opposite ACL tears, it’s also common to see back injuries post ACL tear because it’s common to protect the “weaker” knee.

We’ll see if Gadriova has a more successful comeback and stays healthy. I think part of Andrade’s success comes from limiting the numbers she does which is smart although it does prevent her from potentially upgrading too. So I think there’s definitely a trade off.

Sadly, I think Asia was rushed back. I think they could have been a bit more conservative in the quest to make it back, and made it to Paris. Didn’t Jason Gatson have a similar set back when he rushed back?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back