2024 US Nationals WAG Day 2 Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What would that change her D to?
My guess is that it would be the set she did back in 2021.

Current Set
Van Leeuwen E
Giant Blind Change B
Jaeger + Pak + Maloney + Geinger D + D + D + D + 4
Toe-Full + Dismount D + D + 0.1 + dismount bonus 0.2

D-score: 5.8. She's actually counting a B right now!

This set, except with the Pak Full not connected to the Maloney (only 0.1)
Nabieva + Pak Full F + E + 0.2
Maloney + Geinger D + D + 0.2
Blind change + Jaeger + Pak + van Leeuwen D + D + E + 0.2
giant full + Dismount C + D + 0.1 + dismount bonus 0.2

D-score: 6.4 Keep in mind that this routine has an "extra" C in there — and more elements to deduct.

Edited to address the 3-per-root rule.

Last edited:
Wait I suppose it's also possible that she could do the two extra skills before the exercise she is already doing it, either directly into the van Leeuwen or with a kip+cast HS between.

Nabieva + Pak Full (+) Van Leeuwen F + E (+) E + 0.2 (+ 0.2)
Giant Blind Change B
Jaeger + Pak + Maloney + Geinger D + D + D + D + 4
giant Full + Dismount C + D + dismount bonus 0.2

D-score: Either 6.4 or 6.6. Still a long routine with an extra D.

Edited to address the 3-per-root rule.

Last edited:
This set, except with the Pak Full not connected to the Maloney (only 0.1)
Nabieva + Pak Full F + E + 0.2
Maloney + Geinger D + D + 0.2
Blind change + Jaeger + Pak + van Leeuwen D + D + E + 0.2
Toe full + Dismount D + D + 0.1 + dismount bonus 0.2

D-score: 6.5. Keep in mind that this routine has an "extra" D in there — and more elements to deduct.

This construction violates the 3-element root rule and would result in a 5.9 D Score.

Toe-on full is the fourth toe-on element: ->
  • Loss of 0.5 for the full pirouette CR
  • Loss of 0.1 CV for the dismount series

Reactions: MRR
I have random pop music from the arena stuck in my head now.

This construction violates the 3-element root rule and would result in a 5.9 D Score.

Toe-on full is the fourth toe-on element: ->
  • Loss of 0.5 for the full pirouette CR
  • Loss of 0.1 CV for the dismount series
So a 6.4 with a giant full before the dismount, or 6.5 if she did Bhardwaj to Maloney connected like in Tokyo, but for 0.1 is probably not worth it.

The 2024 COP uniquely hurt her Tokyo composition, relative to most others, with the downgrade of Nabieva to F and D+E connections to 0.1. But she doesn't have much of a choice given the root rule, and the jaeger full is risky and presumably not reliable to connect. So this is probably the best option, and more than enough for the team if she hits.

I feel really bad for Madray Johnson, as she just missed making Trials. She has a good 2 days of competition except for sitting down her vault today. If she hadn't, she would have easily made Trials. She finished 5th on beam. She's had a really solid year of competition, so I hate to see her narrowly miss out. I know they can't take everyone, though.

@Concorde You're right, but it's not a hard problem to solve, as @MRR showed.

i edited my routine analysis posts.

BTW, I feel like the full turn rule on bars should allow for Jaeger full to count. ;-)

I looked at every gymnasts' average score on each event from the 2 days of Nationals with the exception of Shi, whose Classic score was used. I used the scores to compile the best team under 3 up, 3 count.

Biles, Jones, Blakely, and Lee were all locks for the team.

The last spot came down to DiCello vs. Carey. In the end, DiCello added a mere 0.075 over Carey to the team total score, 175.400 to 175.325.

(The next highest scoring team used Sumanasekera for the 5th spot earning 175.225.)

However, I think Carey has an advantage over DiCello as she has non-insignificant upgrades on floor coming at Trials. A single tenth higher on FX would cause her to be on the highest scoring team over DiCello.

FX is a critical event for the 5th athlete on the team because both Blakely and Lee were weak on FX at Nationals (using their average of the 2 days). Thus, the last athlete picked for the team is likely to do FX in TF.

Which brings up someone else. If we use Shi's scores from Classics since she petitioned, it would only be fair to use Kaliya Lincoln's scores from Classics, as she also successfully petitioned to Trials. And as of now, Lincoln is on the highest scoring team as the 5th athlete over both DiCello and Carey. She beats DiCello out by 0.075 and Carey by 0.150. So it's neck and neck.

However, Lincoln was on the highest scoring team last year and still wasn't chosen for Worlds.

Last edited:
Jordan’s floor. The music after her second tumble, just before & during & after the wolf turn, sounds a lot like Rebeca Andrade’s floor music from beginning of her floor routine at World Champ last year. Is that section Beyoncé music, or the same artist as Andrade, or just similar?

From the NY Times

Simone Biles wins ninth national all-around title, sweeps event titles at U.S. Gymnastics Championships​

1717412425573.png

FORT WORTH, Texas — What do you get for the nine-time national all-around champion who has everything? An engraved silver belt buckle, apparently.

Simone Biles earned the Texas token as a trophy Sunday night after clinching the top spot at the U.S. Gymnastics Championships with a total score of 119.750 (60.450 on Day 1, 59.300 on Day 2). She also swept every individual event title.

From the NY Times

Simone Biles wins ninth national all-around title, sweeps event titles at U.S. Gymnastics Championships​

View attachment 10377
FORT WORTH, Texas — What do you get for the nine-time national all-around champion who has everything? An engraved silver belt buckle, apparently.

Simone Biles earned the Texas token as a trophy Sunday night after clinching the top spot at the U.S. Gymnastics Championships with a total score of 119.750 (60.450 on Day 1, 59.300 on Day 2). She also swept every individual event title.
But of course as we all know, Jordan has appropriated that belt buckle, to complete her boxing ring ensemble :cool:

Jordan’s floor. The music after her second tumble, just before & during & after the wolf turn, sounds a lot like Rebeca Andrade’s floor music from beginning of her floor routine at World Champ last year. Is that section Beyoncé music, or the same artist as Andrade, or just similar?
It’s Beyonce’s End of Time. Skinner used it in 2018. ETA: Actually I think I’m a little ahead of the part you’re talking about.

Last edited:
But of course as we all know, Jordan has appropriated that belt buckle, to complete her boxing ring ensemble :cool:
All she needs to complete the outfit is a pair of comically oversized sunglasses - which I assume she has somewhere.

Pretty much all of the gymnasts in the running both had some excellent moments and had big errors this weekend. Other than feeling like Skye has all but secured her spot on the team if everything keeps going the way it is, I am still really up in the air on who should go. My ideal team would be Biles, Jones, Blakely, Lee, and Chiles. I've always been lukewarm about Kayla as an elite (though for some reason really love her in NCAA)but she is looking really good right now. Jade is right there. I love Leanne too much to count her out, no matter how unlikely. The younger girls did an awesome job, but they are probably going to be top tier of the next quad. I just love Jordan as a gymnast and as a person too much not to put her on my team, though, so she wins. Totally biased opinion. Not sorry:)

Reactions: Dex

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back