2024 Asian Championships

2024 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It states in the criteria that the athlete must have competed at the 2023 Worlds.
View attachment 10312
So if the case for Iceland is true, then Lynzee Brown would get the spot.

That looks like it's from the Rhythmic qualifying procedures. I can't see it anywhere in the rules for Artistic Gymnastics.

For MAG and WAG the rules I can find state that athletes for the universality places must meet the general athlete eligibility criteria (Section C in the qualification document), which covers stuff like age and FIG licence, but also "must have participated in any of the Qualification Events" outlined in sections D and F (which is all of them, so is someone who just went to a World Cup eligible?)

IIRC, Its always been based off the pre-Olympic Worlds placement. I might be wrong.
But I don't see how it will change for Paris.
Lynnzee Brown qualified to Worlds. No one else besides ISL had.
We will see what happens, but I don't see the Triparte skipping over her to send an invite to a gymnast from Chad.
You never know.

I have a really hard time with a Tripartite spot going to a nation that is ranked 7th in the world in per capita GDP. That seems completely not in the spirit at all of the intention. I hope what was said upthread about Iceland only going for the MAG spot is true, but less developed nations should be prioritized.

I don't think anyone has posted at length about the gymnasts from Chad, but what they have done there is truly remarkable. A Spanish coach started training girls in September, 2020, and a month ago the team finished 4th at the African Championships, placed 2 gymnasts in each event final. Their top gymnast, Actha Derib, met the minimum qualifying score for the Tripartite spot, to which the federation has applied for. The FIG wrote a (badly written) article about the team: https://www.gymnastics.sport/site/news/displaynews.php?urlNews=416070

One of the Spanish coaches also did an AMA going into more detail about the team, their training, and the hardships they face:

It would be incredible for this spot to go to Actha Derib, it would very much be in the spirit of the Olympic Games. I am hoping that they will not limit it to just those who competed at Worlds in 2023.

That looks like it's from the Rhythmic qualifying procedures. I can't see it anywhere in the rules for Artistic Gymnastics.

For MAG and WAG the rules I can find state that athletes for the universality places must meet the general athlete eligibility criteria (Section C in the qualification document), which covers stuff like age and FIG licence, but also "must have participated in any of the Qualification Events" outlined in sections D and F (which is all of them, so is someone who just went to a World Cup eligible?)
Are the continental championships included in the qualification events list?

The other thing that’s frustrating is that it only takes into consideration numbers at summer Olympics. I can’t imagine Iceland is routinely sending 8 athletes to the Winter Olympics…

Iceland sends very few people to the Olympics, summer or winter. They've never won a winter medal, and the most athletes they've ever sent to the winter Olympics was 11, to Oslo in 1952.

Summer participation goes up if they qualify a team for handball. Otherwise, the delegation is very small

I feel like population (in addition to GDP as people are saying) needs to be taken into account, too. Iceland and Andorra have tiny populations compared to Chad (and others on the list like Democratic Republic of the Congo), so it's not exactly surprising that they'd have less than 8 athletes at the Olympics.

I feel like population (in addition to GDP as people are saying) needs to be taken into account, too. Iceland and Andorra have tiny populations compared to Chad (and others on the list like Democratic Republic of the Congo), so it's not exactly surprising that they'd have less than 8 athletes at the Olympics.
This is an excellent point. Olympians per capita would make far more sense than total Olympians.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back