2023 Worlds MAG Podium Training (Wednesday 09/27 Subs 1-4 & Thursday 09/28 Subs 5-6)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Truly infuriating. It’s total exploitation of a loophole. They need to rewrite the rules so that this doesn’t happen again.

Australia earned their spot to Worlds by winning Oceania. Their strategy after that is up to them. Saying they should be banned seems harsh.

Not sure if anything actually happened but there was a suggestion of a rule change after Romania WAG failed to send a full team last year. This is slightly different though in that Australia have sent a full “team”, just with no intention of taking part in the team competition.

Australia earned their spot to Worlds by winning Oceania. Their strategy after that is up to them. Saying they should be banned seems harsh.
It’s a full Worlds, not an individual Worlds.
Part of these Worlds is a team competition. Only 24 teams qualify. To purposefully not compete in the team competition is wrong, especially when they qualified to Worlds by winning the team competition at Oceania.

I agree @blake I think they should add Oceania to Africa championships.

Last edited:
I just can’t see the point. Any rule change to say qualified countries have to put up 3 on each event or face some negative consequence would result in teams doing exactly what they’d have done otherwise, but with a few added placeholder low difficulty sets. In extremis from injured gymnasts who’d be putting themselves at risk.

If Australia had been told you show 3 floor routines or you’re fined, banned, whatever, all that would happen is we’d get 50 seconds of single salto tumbles from someone who doesn’t actually want to do them. It’d be lip service.

If Australia had been told you show 3 floor routines or you’re fined, banned, whatever, all that would happen is we’d get 50 seconds of single salto tumbles from someone who doesn’t actually want to do them. It’d be lip service.
Which is fine by me.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you want the lip service for the sake of the lip service, I get that in principle. It clearly has the potential to cause problems when there are genuine late/in competition injuries though.

Last edited:
It obviously isn’t in this instance, but having a rule with any teeth would introduce that risk. If teams are expected to put up three scores, that raises the possibility that at some point a team doesn’t have three gymnasts able to do that. Unless people mean they just want teams to have to list three names, and the 3rd one can pretend they’ve been rendered unable to compete the event in the last 24 hours.

Generally speaking, athletes are embarrassed doing cheesy routines like that though. They’d rather get up and do something.

And if they DID get up to do something like that, then let everyone see it plain in front of them.

Last edited:
It may not even be much of a choice based situation. Athletes don’t necessarily train all events to a high level, especially in MAG, and could well be dealing with injuries themselves. Look at Ibrahim Colak’s impromptu floor routine at 2020 Euros for example.

But what I’m getting from this is, people want there to actually have to be a routine rather than an apparatus touch, but you aren’t bothered about the content? Does it need to be a full routine?

Well, with two athletes on the bubble for EF and one on the edge for AA with more subdivisions to go, it appears that AUS MAG will be finished after the QC - Bravo Gymnastics Australia, bravo!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back