2023 European Gymnastics Championship, April 11-16 Antalya, Turkey

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

This routine shocked me! Her improvement on bars since Tokyo has been an absolute joy to watch.

They’ve spent the last few weeks telling her to RELAX into her leap landings. And these are soooo much better. She was just dripping tenths away on her split leap and jump fills. Now they’re controlled and precise.

It’s just glorious to see GBR performing like this. They could really fight with RUS, CHN, JPN and USA for podium spots now. Let’s hope they all stay healthy through Paris.

Last edited:
Doing this without paper and pen I had a 5.3 (I only took 1.0 for the pak, no form because she didn’t catch - was I right to do that?).
Jesus, that was AWFUL. 5.3 feels generous, there is just so much wrong with that routine.

I was prepared for you all to be exaggerating, but holy crap that was awful. So she got 5.933 E score…only 2.1 behind Downie. How in the world is that possible?! So without the fall she is only 1 point in execution behind? Seriously?

GBR is closer to challenging team gold. They now have 3 solid and consistent DTY. They can collectively pull off a huge team score. And right now GBR has good bars, beam and floor as well.

Doing this without paper and pen I had a 5.3 (I only took 1.0 for the pak, no form because she didn’t catch - was I right to do that?).
Yes - when an element is not awarded DV, the judges should only deduct for the fall.

I’m sorry but this is so overrated. This should get shredded on artistry. This is worse than Jade.
Hard disagree here. Yes there are many issues with this particular version of the routine, and you can argue it’s all very posy generally, but 6 seconds in a she’s already showing a performance quality that jade just never did.

But yes, i would expect she should have gotten deducted quite a bit on this particular version. The whole area around the second and third passes is just completely out of timing and you can tell because it’s all lone beats.

I’m going to save my eyes and not watch ub

She is smiling, not uncomfortable, I would say that is the only thing that makes it better than Jade. But she could have performed this routine to any music, ever, there is zero artistry or connection to the music.

I read on Reddit that her mother threatened to boycot Europeans with her, if they wouldn’t let her do AA. And she wanted Sabrina to anchor every event as well. You can see during warmups that she’s only coached by her mother; I think no one else is allowed to.

They have a world class choreographer in the building, who already did wonders with the other girls, but mom choreographs Sabrina’s floor. This woman is sabotaging her own daugthers career.

Her general posture is awful. She is lucky that she has always been the cute and self-confident type because that makes up for the complete lack of proper dance or posture training.

I remember watching videos of her on youtube when someone discovered her several years ago and it was absolutely horrifying how she was trained. She was thrown through skills on bars she was absolutely not ready for. Not slowly lifted through skills with proper body tension and technique but thrown through everything without any regard for technique or even basic body tension. On floor and vault her quickness is still making it possible for her to do somewhat impressive skills but on bars you can absolutely tell that she has no technical understanding of any skill or the slightest feeling of how to work the bars. I doubt she has ever done any drills for her Shaposh variations at all.
Beam has been ok too but also a far cry from what her mom has tried to make her do.

I honestly don’t think there’s any hope of turning her into an AA gymnast unless she’s finally released from the death grip her mother has on her.

Fully agree. And she is obviously very talented, arguably the most talented of the group. Otherwise she would’ve stagnated years ago.

I really hope her mother will see this as well and will let her go. With the talent she has, maybe things are still fixable. Though bars will have to come a long way.

But to be honest I’m not holding my breath, especially with how her mother behaved here.

After watching other versions of that fx, let me rephrase my position. There is apparently no plan for in between the 2nd and 3rd passes, only poses and split leaps as far as the eye can see. I still maintain this is better than Jade, but atm just barely, while she should be miles ahead even with no posture or proper dance training.

I feel so sorry for Sabrina - she is such a likable kid - always smiling. I want her to do well - I grew up watching fabulous Romanian gymnasts and I want to see the programme do well again. I just don’t understand how/why Camelia is going so wrong with the training. She must see what we see?
Just watched that UB routine - it’s one of the worst things I’ve seen

No time for my unabridged WAG thoughts so before the MAG AA final I’ll just say:
  • Hope Kovtun wins but so long as it’s a good competition I’d be pretty happy with the top four qualifiers in any order.
  • As in Liverpool, I want to see Jarman control his floor landings so we can find out his score ceiling.

How does one fix those bars?
You do nothing but fix basics for months. Once the basics are fixed, then slowly add back difficulty while maintaining the primary focus on proper technique.

But the Olympics are just over a year away. There’s not time to tear down and rebuild her bars from the ground up.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back