2023 European Gymnastics Championship, April 11-16 Antalya, Turkey

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Olly was starting to sound Troutwig-ish.

David Belyavsky offers Adem his congratulations- “turkey for the win”. However, he’d have probably cheered literally anyone to beat the other 2 athletes on the podium

In her case I would also suggest a completely different strategy until she can improve her technique on the harder skills…get on and get off as fast as possible.

Kip - HS switch grip - Jaeger - Kip - HS- bail - toe up - Kip Hs - giant full - giants - dismount.

Camelia seems to be intent on casting Sabrina as a “mini me” in an attempt to achieve the goals that she was unable to obtain in her own career in the 1980s

Most of Camelia’s own claim to fame was an innovatively choreographed FX in 1986 that won her a fx silver medal at the 1986 World Cup final and silver at the European championships in 1987. She was never a good ub worker and from 87 onwards she usually got 3-pered out by Silivas, Dobre and/or Szabo/Potorac

Sabrina really needs some expert coaching to overcome some of her technique shortcomings - if she doesn’t end up injured and retired

Watching the BBC coverage and was great to see Giarnni describe Jake’s floor routine with the standard sports broadcasting platitude of “up there with the best in the world”.

I sincerely hope that afterwards he realised OH WAIT THATS ME

Davtyan really is not an AAer. He’s a vaulter who’s also decent on a couple other events and put together a simple AA program so he has, I assume, a back-up plan to qualify to the Olympics.

Davtyan really is not an AAer. He’s a vaulter who’s also decent on a couple other events and put together a simple AA program so he has, I assume, a back-up plan to qualify to the Olympics.
He is more than a vaulter, he was 4th here at the European AA final. That is more than just a vaulter, he is a competent AAer too.

Um, I didn’t say he’s not a “competent AAer”. I said he “is not really an AAer”, and what I said is absolutely correct. He does 3 events well but the other 3 events are low-difficulty exercises he maintains for such purposes as this. He doesn’t even do AA that often. The last time I remember him doing AA at a major competition was 2019. And while he did AA many times before that, he never was a contender vying for a medal. Not even close.

He’s #1 in the world on vault, and a very good PH worker. He’s also good on rings. So these 3 events give him a great base to an AA total. But his floor, PB, and HB are low-difficulty exercises with all requirements and a D+ dismount. Lots of B elements counting.

And the strategy works. But it’s only because almost everyone else is overdoing things.

Last edited:
But his floor, PB, and HB are low-difficulty exercises with all requirements and a D+ dismount. Lots of B elements counting.

And the strategy works. But it’s only because almost everyone else is overdoing things.
Yeah, but I’d rather that strategy than suffer through Sabrina Voinea’s bars as currently constructed ever again.

Assorted WAG AA musings

I really hope Kovacs can hit again and I’d love to see her win. The 2017 Ellie D-Kovacs match up was really close until floor. It’s fantastic that she’s improved enough to be competitive there now. Kovacs had a poor UB dismount in qualifications so she can make up a lot there. Gadirova has a few smaller things she can improve on so hopefully we’re in for a really tight battle. It’s kinda funny that she’s qualified for three EF but not the one she’s defending champion on.

Having watched Jessica at Nationals, where she wasn’t even doing beam dismounts, her qualification performance was a pleasant surprise. It was weird watching her floor routine in relative quiet having seen it live in Cardiff and Liverpool with a lot of screaming kids. I’m impressed with her UB improvements but I also can’t help wonder if she’ll ever control her vault/BB dismount landings. Would also love to see her win although the BBC commentary has got to the point where if she doesn’t I’ll be slightly relieved.

Alice might be able to squeeze a few more tenths out on beam but otherwise looks close to maxed out. Would be quite the story if she won with her defending champion sister not doing AA here. I would not have predicted that Asia would be doing two vaults here after Munich.

Kinsella getting two-pered means that none of the AA medalists from last year are here. Gutting for her but as good as she’s become, she still hasn’t figured out how to be consistent across multiple days of a competition. GB are now good enough that you can’t afford bad days in qualifications and still get through to finals. I think I saw somewhere that Achampong would only have needed 12.401 on UB to qualify over GMF. As sad as I am for Kinsella, she does have that Euros AA medal from last year and it’s great that GMF is finally getting this opportunity. Hope she hits beam. Anyone know what the UB enquiry was about? Rotation before catching the Derwael-Fenton?

Visser qualifying in 4th with a FTY is striking. So much of her competition relies on getting that turn combo on floor. What’s the highest UB E score this quad? If it’s not her then she must be very close.

I know. When he said ‘he might not have been born in Turkey but he was born to win’ and ‘the title is within his grasp but is the bar within his grasp’ I literally made sick making sounds and died inside. Who writes this garbage. Going to watch on BBC today and hope it’s someone else. Bring back Christine please and even the other annoying one over Olly hogwash anymore.

FFS Olly…

'Georgia-Mae… no Georgia can.

I was just a little bit sick 🤢

what is up with the gigantic portraits of creepy men above the beam?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back