2022 World Gymnastics Championships Event Finals Day 2 (Sunday 11/06)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah the L hop 1/1 is easy to spot in real time never passing horizontal, then on the review they must’ve downgraded the switch 1/1 to Johnson 1/2 (or maybe switch 1/2 but dubious based on takeoff and split position). In real time, I wouldn’t have spotted the switch 1/1 to Johnson 1/2

Pretty gross to imply that wanting sparkle, glitter, or girly things somehow takes away from ones athletic performance. I played sports all through childhood. Plenty of girls who went on to play and compete at a college or professional level enjoyed all things girly. It’s super insulting to claim enjoying traditionally feminine things somehow denigrates their seriousness as an athlete.

Her “FULL” start value is 6.2…, no?
No - it’s a 6.1.

Acro:

1 x I (Moors)
1 x H (Chusovitina)
1 x E (tucked full-in)
1 x D (double tuck)
1 x B (front layout)

Total Acro DV - 2.8

Dance:

1 x D (full twisting switch leap)
2 x C (1/1 hop with free leg above horizontal, full twisting split leap)

Total Dance DV - 1.0

Total DV - 3.8

CV

front layout - indirect double tuck (B - indirect D), 0.1

Total CV - 0.1

Dismount Bonus

tucked full-in (E) - 0.2

CR

Dance Passage - 1/1 hop with free leg above horizontal to full twisting switch leap
Salto with 360 LA turn - Moors
Double Salto - Chusovitina
Salto Backward and Forward - front layout, double tuck

Total D - 3.8 + 0.1 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 6.1
  • Putting aside the argument of whether or not the element should be credited in the first place, compared to other days of competition, it does look like the free leg dropped a little earlier, though that could just be the different angle of the video.
  • I also found Carey’s full twisting split leap to look a little short because of the prerotation.

You’re right. I assumed she wasn’t counting a B so I started at a 2.4 (8 x .3) for DV and counted up…

Last edited:
I think that’s more to do with wider cultural change, and also the countries who are now winning medals.
I don’t think it is that so much as social media presence now. I would say the majority of the gymnasts follow each other on socials and have become friends, so it is easier to communicate and be friendly. They all wanted to take pictures with each other. the Chinese ladies on bars were so pumped to see Andrade for example. They took group pictures after vault, bars, and beam, which was adorable.
It is nice to see them genuinely happy for each other.

I would have downgraded Carey’s front layout. It’s an almost 90° pike during the first half of the salto.

Last edited:
I think the sport went through a phase where by friendliness was seen as weakness. But it wasn’t always the case. I watched the recently uploaded, complete coverage of the 1972 Olympics which gives a fascinating picture of what was going on the sidelines. Korbut sits down after her beam in tears and the first person hugging her and trying to console her is Erika Zuchold. When Lazakovich finished floor the Japanese gymnast behind her squeezes her shoulders and congratulates her

It looks like you don’t have to worry about the Gads after all.

The least pleasant thing I saw today was Maggio’s donkey kick on floor exercise. There should be full point deductions for it. It’s stupid and not artistic.

ETA: I rewatched it and basically she kicks herself in the butt so it’s not a donkey kick.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back