2022 World Gymnastics Championships Event Finals Day 2 (Sunday 11/06)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Isn’t Memmel suppose to be looking at things like routine construction? She should point that out to her coaches. Maybe she did and they didn’t listen 🤷‍♀️

Isn’t Memmel suppose to be looking at things like routine construction? She should point that out to her coaches. Maybe she did and they didn’t listen 🤷‍♀️
She was scoring fine with the half. I wonder if they thought she needed to “go all out” for gold. Like, if any upgrade would’ve been appropriate, it would be the front 1/1 through to double tuck she was doing in NCAA. And then she could have removed that switch side 1/2.

Or better yet, just do a Popa.

Last edited:
Or better yet, just do a Popa.
Haha look how that turned out in Tokyo…!

They should have stuck with the split full. Although it wouldn’t have changed the outcome it would have been much closer.

She obviously did in TQ and TF!

She obviously did in TQ and TF!
It sounds like Memmel is giving her input but still allowing gymnasts and personal coaches to have their say. Jade admitted that she and her father put in the inquiry NOT Memmel advising them to do so.
I would wager Memmel would have advised them not to do so.

I wonder what Sac and Memmel will do moving forward.

Like, if any upgrade would’ve been appropriate, it would be the front 1/1 through to double tuck she was doing in NCAA. And then she could have removed that switch side 1/2.
That would be great for Jordan. I’d like to see her train this:

1.5 twist to Double Arabian + punch front
Double Layout full
Front full to Double Tuck full + shushunova

…and Angelika Hellmann congratulating the American gymnast!

I wonder if the fact gymnasts gradually became younger as the 70s progressed also played a part in the loss of this “friendliness”. Zuchold (rip) was already 25 in Munich.

Btw, in case you’ve missed it, coverage of the Event Finals has also now been posted.

I was JUST pondering this (relative value of a full-in compared to double back / tuck) the other day.

Totally agree.

I actually think that a double tuck should allow flexed feet and a little leg separation (for safety). And be a C. Double pike D. full-in tuck E (with no foot deduction). full-in pike F.

Last edited:
I don’t think I saw one deduction-free full in (either tuck or pike), or a deduction-free double tuck, in the whole of the championships (except maybe one or two double tucks from the Chinese).

It seems easier to do a deduction-free Double Pike. Andrade had one. MDJDS had one. Definitely a couple of others.

Because the CV tables encourage E skills, I’m happy to leave the Tuck Full In where it is. And keep the Double Tuck a D but deduct for form.

But I would want to raise the Full In Pike to an F. We never see them. I’d also like to raise the Randi to an F, the Back 3.5 to a G, and bring the Silivas down to a G.

Tbh I was more surprised at the sheer number of Double Fulls we saw. Mind boggling.

Last edited:
…and Angelika Hellmann congratulating the American gymnast!

I wonder if the fact gymnasts gradually became younger as the 70s progressed also played a part in the loss of this “friendliness”. Zuchold (rip) was already 25 in Munich.
I think that the Bela/Marta years may have also played a part - I remember that there were a few interesting snippets in that first Nadia autobiography (ghostwritten when she was about 18) her mentioning something along the lines of them being encouraged not to be friendly to anyone outside of Bela/Marta’s training group

One thing i realized it’s that Jade’s gymnastics looks MUCH messier from head on than from the sides. Like, every time she did floor, I was sitting directly in line with the corner of her first two tumbles. I was shocked at how much better everything looked in the replay than what I saw in front of me. Every time. Her Moors and Chuso look ghastly from head on.

We must have been in similar blocks because I noticed this as well.

I wonder if screenshots would show comparisons of height of tumbling

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back